Post Reply
19 posts • Page 1 of 1
So I have finished playing nehrim the first time as a warrior class and I must say, even with the linear storyline of the game, it's certainly worth a second shot and this time I decided to play as a mage. The problem is, it seems quite difficult to level up your character as a mage early in the game, atleast till you reached the sanctum, at the time however I would've missed 7 level with no increase on any arcane skills since there's no mage trainer in Fold Valley. Is this normal? or is there a mage trainer somewhere in the Fold Valley I'm not aware of?
Thebeginning is hard.
But when you get better the mage is a killer.
If you are good in destruction or the other skills, it will increase your damage. If your level is higher you can use more powerfull spells.
You don't have to spend your LPs.

Just gain a few levels and run to the sanctum. That's what I did. However, don't save your LPs for too long. I unfortunately saved mine and now I have 30 remaining and they cost 65 gold per. I just don't have that kind of money! Lol.
I didn't bother really choosing a path, although technically i chose paladin i still used magic as well, thats one of the good things about oblivion is that you can do both
I used a combination of daggers and bowyer in the beginning while building up my will/int/personality, once you get fireball you can start taking stuff down pretty steadily. I would focus on finding a pair of mages the winds boots since they give a +3 mana regeneration bonus which helps a tooooooon as a mage early on.
If your willing to grind some alchemy (or invest in erothin) a journeyman can get potions that boost intelligence & will 23 points for 45sec(i believe) as well as fortify magic 40 for 80sec
In your case an apprentice should be enough for most your rank 1/2 spells if you can get the right items

Also note that you can stack potions so a good idea is to create a 2 effect potion and then 1 effect one so you can stack one common effect together

Screens:
[+]
Image
Image
Image
Image
Just decided as the thead starter has done and start again as a mage character, but without any spells to begin with it is dificult to get into that mindset. Might have been nice to find a couple of low tiered runes in the mine , a firebite and shield spell would have started the ability to raise int and will right away. Instead decided to run to the Sanctum ( now level 4 ) and will go back to tirin abbey to start.
Don't you have heal?
Yep. Have heal, but I was considering what a mage type character might start out with. Just to get me in the mind set for the type of stats to raise. Never played 100% mage characters before. Mainly sneak/archers with protection spells.
I had my character swim up the river to Giliad and buy a destruction and a light spell from a brother outside the chapel and then swim back south to quest in the abbey region. It wasn't really hard when she originally just relied on melee until she went to the Sanctum, but it felt "wrong" from an RP point of view.
Story wise you are a hick that doesn't know anything about magick and there is a ban in the whole country against it,your lucky you even have a healing spell
In this conditions it's hard to imagine why they don't give you destruction spells at the beginning :roll:
Stop being so impatient,its not like the mage path is running away,just think of it as the time to polish the other skills you would need before embarking on the mage path
Stop being so impatient,its not like the mage path is running away,just think of it as the time to polish the other skills you would need before embarking on the mage path
Yes, I can understand what you are saying. The thing is, I have a savegame where I'm about to finish the main quest as a sneak/archer character. Have played half way through as a click and bash type and in both cases could start from the begining building my character. Knowing the sort of attitude/mind set I get into, if I built up different skills for 6 or 7 levels, then I find it difficult not to follow the course set down by the stats I have at the time.
I don't think it's for someone else to tell me what degree of self-awareness my character has. I'm also finding it much easier to work my low-level fire spell into her tactics against lower level opponents than I did waiting until hitting things with a mace outclassed it.

This character was also lucky enough to find a mortar and pestle early on (in a random crate)--and again it's much more fun to be able to play with what I envision as her primary abilities. It also makes the choice whether to investigate her origins or head to the Sanctum after exploring the area around the abbey much freer. My character's confidence in Merzul after witnessing his orchestration of disaster at the mine is less than complete. She's very much minded to wander a bit, read everything she can lay her hands on, and discover more about her origins before heading to the Sanctum. Having a couple spells and being able to make potions allows her to behave according to her inclinations (as defined by me!)

Indeed, I find it very strange that there isn't a non-random mortar and pestle (as least that I found) in the abbey area. How is it that the "alchemist" in the fortress didn't have one either on her person or the table in her room?
Last edited by Imryll on 23.09.2010 16:57, edited 1 time in total.
Erothin has an alchemist that sells one. Reaching Erothin is not much harder than reaching Stonefield - you have to defend yourselves against young black bears, forest wolves and spiders. If you have a long weapons, none of them should be a problem on level 7.
arvisrend wrote:
Erothin has an alchemist that sells one. Reaching Erothin is not much harder than reaching Stonefield - you have to defend yourselves against young black bears, forest wolves and spiders. If you have a long weapons, none of them should be a problem on level 7.
Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I should study the map and see where the river heads north of Giliad. Avoiding wildlife via swimming was what allowed me to get my spells pretty much right out of the mine. That involved a bit of meta-gaming but if my character's been living at the abbey she should be acquainted with the environs and has likely heard a variety of rumors from the steady stream of merchants and other travelers who pass through there.
She's very much minded to wander a bit
If by wandering you are going to do caves and castle exploring, then you will come across alchemical equipment.

Very much like you, I guess, (and never playing a 100% mage before) this time arround going to wander round each area to find out what my character can become capable of. He has to become comfortable with each spell and how to combine them ( first time I've played male as well! ).
TheHawk wrote:

If by wandering you are going to do caves and castle exploring, then you will come across alchemical equipment.
Exactly what I meant ... and thank you. Mostly I want to acquire a bit of independent knowledge of what's going on in the world before I advance the main quest. I'd also like to reach level 7 (6 now) so that I don't need to worry about getting quests in areas I'm not ready for.
Imryll wrote:
arvisrend wrote:
Erothin has an alchemist that sells one. Reaching Erothin is not much harder than reaching Stonefield - you have to defend yourselves against young black bears, forest wolves and spiders. If you have a long weapons, none of them should be a problem on level 7.
Thanks for the tip! Perhaps I should study the map and see where the river heads north of Giliad. Avoiding wildlife via swimming was what allowed me to get my spells pretty much right out of the mine. That involved a bit of meta-gaming but if my character's been living at the abbey she should be acquainted with the environs and has likely heard a variety of rumors from the steady stream of merchants and other travelers who pass through there.
The water has some rather nasty enemies. There are roads - some of them safer, some more dangerous, but all of them preferrable to swimming in the river. It's up to you which one you choose. The player is not intended to start out as a mage. AFAIR it was Tolkien's view on character development in fantasy stories that the character starts out as a rather random human (think of Bilbo) and gradually builds up experience and power by embarking on an epic quest. Unfortunately, too many games nowadays have the player character start as a fully-fledged superhero - this limits the character development during the game to an extent it becomes uninteresting or illogical.
I'd also like to reach level 7 (6 now) so that I don't need to worry about getting quests in areas I'm not ready for.
Do not know if you have noticed, but when entering some different areas or going into and out of dungeons you will sometimes get a message i.e Area x (level 7 to 14) or door to x (level 1 to 7). Which gives a recommendation of what level they think you should be. Although sometimes lower levels can manage them.
Post Reply
19 posts • Page 1 of 1