SureAI

Forums covering SureAI game titles.

https://forum.sureai.net/

Topic title - Smithing

https://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?t=3546

Page 1 of 2
Smithing - by Crappynight
Posted: 07.10.2010 00:45
Hey guys! It's me again with a question.

I've been playing for the second time now and I've decided to go for smithing.

I have skill 90 now but I can't create a weapon higher than 1st ranks. It says "currently not possible".
Does it mean, no possible at this mod version or not possible at my current state (if so, when It will be)?

Thanks!
Re: Smithing - by Chasm
Posted: 07.10.2010 01:18
Higher ranks are not implemented, yet.
(No idea about the ETA though.)
Re: Smithing - by junovalkyrie
Posted: 07.10.2010 06:24
On a similar note, does sharpening work at all? No matter what kind of weapon I have (iron, steel, silver, etc.), the game tells me that I don't have any weapons that I can sharpen.
Re: Smithing - by Crappynight
Posted: 07.10.2010 10:01
It does work only if you make your own weapon.

I've tried it yesterday. But still, this doesn't add any damage to weapon.
Re: Smithing - by crpgnut
Posted: 07.10.2010 15:23
This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. I'd love to get my 50 LP back.

You can add hunting and cooking to this too. There is no benefit whatsoever to cooking or hunting. Cooked meat doesn't make better potions; it might heal a little more than when eaten raw, I never checked. It's like they wanted to attract the Gothic audience, but didn't have time to finish the work. Still, the pieces are there and maybe some other modder will come along and finish what was started.

These are pretty minor issues, but they do detract from the overall feeling of professionalism.
Re: Smithing - by Crappynight
Posted: 07.10.2010 21:16
I have to disagree. I'm a gothic fan and Nehrim reminds me of Gothic very much. It's like from the same developers, only better.

I think I'll finish the smithing mod myself.
Re: Smithing - by Geronimou
Posted: 07.10.2010 21:43
crpgnut wrote:
This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. I'd love to get my 50 LP back.

You can add hunting and cooking to this too. There is no benefit whatsoever to cooking or hunting. Cooked meat doesn't make better potions; it might heal a little more than when eaten raw, I never checked. It's like they wanted to attract the Gothic audience, but didn't have time to finish the work. Still, the pieces are there and maybe some other modder will come along and finish what was started.

These are pretty minor issues, but they do detract from the overall feeling of professionalism.
There maybe isn't much use of cooking, but SureAI just has made it possible. And think it like this: if you have 50 ham and 50 Game, you can make a lot of restore health potions, right? But what if you have 100 ham, and no other ingredients, that have restore health as an effect? Well, then you just cook 50 of 'em, and you can again make some cool potions. And anyways, isn't it kinda strange, that in Cyrodiil even the counts and countesses eat raw meat?
Re: Smithing - by junovalkyrie
Posted: 08.10.2010 09:00
Geronimou wrote:
crpgnut wrote:
This is a tacked on piece they should have just dropped unless they fleshed it out fully. It's a bummer wasting learning points on crafting to learn that it's nearly useless. -snip-

These are pretty minor issues, but they do detract from the overall feeling of professionalism.
There maybe isn't much use of cooking, but SureAI just has made it possible.
I kind of agree with both of you. My assumption is that they put it in there intending to flesh crafting out a bit more eventually or let modders do so, and it has the potential to be a pretty cool addition once it's fully implemented. It's like releasing the English version with many non-critical texts untranslated; I can't really hold it against them that they wanted to let people start playing before smoothing out all of the rough edges. As modders in a project of this magnitude, I think they deserve some leeway on that sort of thing; if they had released a pay-for game, then yeah, I'd definitely be up in arms about it.

That said, what I do think is unprofessional is not informing players about it ahead of time. As crpgnut points out, it's a bit of a letdown to invest time and energy on something, whether it be training a skill or searching for clues about what to do next, only to find out that it's as-of-yet unimplemented. The obvious solution is to make note of this and other similar issues - Gervasius's third quest, the end of Zerobilon, etc. - in the readme. (A "Known Issues" section for things like the glider sounds problem would also be nice. Speaking of which... *slips over to the mod section*)
Re: Smithing - by pls
Posted: 15.01.2012 23:20
I've been looking forward to craft my own armor and expected to get something taht's worth it (had to do that funny tower defense quest to get the thorium ingots soon enough) but I'm disappointed: all the thorium crafted armors (i tried assassin and ranger since i play sneaking bowman) are NOT better than the stuff i can find in the world (eg. highway thief's garb). is it any good to learn it at all? the only reason I see right now is the exps but they are also not much of a use since learnign dosen't give you any points to main attributes (i have about 50 spare LP and i don't know what to do with em, maybe later after my main atts are at max). so far, smithing sucks, except of arrows and lockpicks (they're cheaper made than bought but there's enough money to buy them too).
Re: Smithing - by Xagul
Posted: 16.01.2012 16:21
I have to disagree: Smithing makes sense. Besides adding more realism to the game, you get a load of EXP for every weapon and armor that you craft, especially for Level 2 items.
And you can sell these items for good money.
Re: Smithing - by pls
Posted: 16.01.2012 18:49
Well, there is a lot other ways how to make money and i wrote about my opinion about experience in my previous post. (The leveling system has too much of Oblivion left. Things would be different if learning at teachers would have an effect on increasing main attributes, but that's off topic.)
Ad about the real-feeling: Yeah, that's a great thing to make (I appreciate you have to do it at anvil, not just in the menu), but: somebody compared it to Gothic: In Gothic crafting made sense because you could make unique weapons that were worth making'em (compare ore swords avilable in G2), but here you can craft only junk compared to things you'll find out there in the ruins. My question is: Why, for the F*'s sake? Why not make crafted items more interesting by adding some unique bonuses for example. So far the only thing that looks interesting for my character would be Frost bow, if I can find some thorium bars befeore I find some better bow somewhere (which I believe is going to happen). So my point is not in saying: Crafting is a bad thing, but in saying: Crafting useless items is, well, useless.
Re: Smithing - by badgesareus
Posted: 16.01.2012 20:11
[+]
There's quite a bit of thorium that can be mined in the Crater in Southrealm. Look for glowing green rock formations.
Re: Smithing - by greenlight
Posted: 16.01.2012 20:30
Ehm... the Frost Bow ist one of the strongest bows in the game ;)
(With my char it does 102 dmg)
But i agree with you: there should be more uniqe weapons and armors to craft, with (even more) exotic ingredients. This would be a great award for long-time players.
Re: Smithing - by badgesareus
Posted: 17.01.2012 04:29
For me, the frost bow has 100 dmg + 10 frost dmg = 110. My Malphas' Bow, which I enchanted, does 91 dmg + 18 frost dmg = 109. Just for fun, I checked out the Epic chaos bow and it had 106 dmg + 10 shock = 116. I'm glad I finally got to use all that thorium I've been collecting. However, if you could make all sorts of powerful weapons and equipment, it might reduce your desire to explore and seek out rare items of power. So I guess it's an issue of balance. Of course, it also depends how early in the game one is able to make these powerful items. If you can pump up the smith skill early on and make a frost bow at, say, level 10, well that would be a really nasty weapon!
Re: Smithing - by pls
Posted: 17.01.2012 12:39
thx guys, it looks like there's gonna be some usefull item to craft after all:) my original post was merely an expression of disappointment with armors which lack any special bonuses and are comparable to any other other items you can find (apart from their unique look) but incomparable with i.e. armor sets. You'd have to enchant them but you can do the same with anytning else. I don't know a sh*t about swords and axes because i don't need'em for my char.
Concerning balance: I get the point, but there are other ways how to avoid demotivation: for example some unique ingredients, not just crafting from common objects like iron and pelts (thorium seems quite uncommon so far for me, I'm lvl 25 at the beginning of Ch2, have to have a look at that volcano), or simply need for blueprints. but that's just pointless discussion of what would be if...still, great work done by SureAI.
Re: Smithing - by pls
Posted: 21.01.2012 12:43
seems like it's going to be more interesting: i can't get to south realm at the beginnig of ch2, so i ca't get that thorium...the idea to make the überbow soon enough is over, but i like it: at least something to smith needs some hard to get ingredients
Re: Smithing - by badgesareus
Posted: 21.01.2012 20:36
It is possible to enter Southrealm by crossing the mountains. See my topic http://www.sureai.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... alm#p45177.
Re: Smithing - by Xagul
Posted: 21.01.2012 21:26
If my memory serves me right, you can also get a nice amout of thorium nuggets within the mine near Treomar. German term is Eisfeuerhöhlen. It's located south of the city of treomar, at the shore of the sea.
You're not supposed to go there early as this cave is also part of the MQ but there's no problem in doing so (besides high level monsters that might kill you quickly).

Hope this helps.
Re: Smithing - by badgesareus
Posted: 22.01.2012 04:58
That mine is one of the quests that was completed in the latest English patch (one of the previously unfinished quests where the door wouldn't open--the western entrance to Iron Fire Halls). I know there is one option of the new post-main-quest main quest that takes you there, way at the end of the game. But I think you're right, there is thorium there also.
Re: Smithing - by pls
Posted: 24.01.2012 21:33
ok, thx again, i got the thorium from iron fire halls at lvl 30 since the funny master of mountain monastery send me in that area after all. I finally made my desired bow and it's a killa (dmg 82) compared to my previous bow (enachanted star bow, dmg +-52), but one more question: how did you managed to get those crazy dmg numbers +100? I've agility 115 and makrsman 112. Is there any other stats to improve the dmg? or are you counting the dmg of arrows also?
All times are UTC+02:00
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited