SureAI

Forums covering SureAI game titles.

https://forum.sureai.net/

Topic title - Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over?

https://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?t=2922

Page 1 of 2
Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by CrzyFooL
Posted: 13.09.2010 08:01
I'd gladly help to get this going. So far this is an amazing project and while I don't mind German with English subtitles, a lot of people wont play a game that is subtitled because they hate to read :-(

Are there any plans to do a full English voice recording?

Any way I can help?
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Roland Deschain
Posted: 13.09.2010 11:02
At the moment there are no plans to do so:
Re: Release

von Arandor am 05.06.2010 18:41
Our English version will only have translated texts, no voice acting.
and
Re: Let's Play Nehrim!

von f3N3k am 11.06.2010 20:17
Hi ReymasofAshborne, welcome to the forum!

Afaik the EV of Nehrim is in work, just mind you that the span of text to be translated as well as possible includes over 94000 words, which is more than most book editors' job. As a result, you'll probably have to be patient for quite a while.

English voice acting would seem like a nice idea, the team is reluctant to accept English voice actors though. That is because of bad experiences they had with amateur voice acts for the earlier projects. Nehrim's voice acting is performed by professional actors and a voluntary recording studio. For now, the plan is to just translate the subtitles and books/signs, keeping the original voices. This seems to be the more agreeable method regarding the quality.

I hope I didn't misquote the team
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by CrzyFooL
Posted: 13.09.2010 11:30
Aww.
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Hollwie
Posted: 13.09.2010 11:59
Verdammt Roland ich wollte die Frage beantworten damit sich mein Postcount erhöht :(
Naja er erhöht sich trotzdem weil ich hier ganz offtopic sinnfrei poste ohne das es einen Sinn macht :lol:
English:
This post doesn't make any sense, so you may just feel like playing Nehrim and ignore this post :mrgreen:
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by kelticpete
Posted: 18.09.2010 22:44
if u want it bad enough, recruit voice actors, anD make all the neceSSARY MP3S...BUT FIND A CODER/PRGRAMMEr who will help you put it into a mod
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by TrexTitan
Posted: 18.09.2010 23:07
... why would ANYONE want an amature adolecant whiny, shitty english voice over instead of the very well done german ones... it... boggles the mind..
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Lazydriver
Posted: 19.09.2010 20:36
TrexTitan wrote:
... why would ANYONE want an amature adolecant whiny, shitty english voice over instead of the very well done german ones... it... boggles the mind..
There are 100 million German speakers, and they could find 50 great voice actors for that. You're telling me that one couldn't find 50 or 100 great voice actors to speak the lines in English? With a mod as good as this, I'm sure somebody would be up to the task.
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Chasm
Posted: 19.09.2010 22:19
The Nehrim Team had the both support of a professional voice over / dubbing studio and professional voice actors. (Otherwise working on video games, TV, cinema, audio books, ...)

It has been stated in the past that an official dubbing would have to reach the same -commercial- standard.
That is hard to do for free. Ok, not totally free - both the studio and the actors get a link in the credits.

There are a few hobbyists out there who could do this. Say Darker Projects for an example outside the modding community.
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by TrexTitan
Posted: 19.09.2010 23:52
yeah thats the deal, the most likley solution to a english voice over would be an amature one, with crappy equipment and crappy actors using their squeaky voices to bring this game to its full glory... *cough*

Which annoys me because who are really bothered by subtitles? i don't get the big gripe.. then again i'm from a country that always have opted for subs over dubs..
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Lazydriver
Posted: 20.09.2010 04:22
Chasm wrote:
The Nehrim Team had the both support of a professional voice over / dubbing studio and professional voice actors. (Otherwise working on video games, TV, cinema, audio books, ...)

It has been stated in the past that an official dubbing would have to reach the same -commercial- standard.
That is hard to do for free. Ok, not totally free - both the studio and the actors get a link in the credits.

There are a few hobbyists out there who could do this. Say Darker Projects for an example outside the modding community.
A mod this good wouldn't be able to get a volunteer voice recording in the US? I'm sure there are talented voice actors who wouldn't mind another notch on a resumé.
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Chasm
Posted: 20.09.2010 05:07
Ok, say you find a studio and the 60 or so voice actors.
Someone(tm) has prepared the scripts for the actors including all that necessary meta informations like the emotion that has to be carried.

Then you still have to edit each and every file so that it fits into Nehrim, you have to create the lip sync files.
You will have different lengths than in German, does the engine handle this by itself or will you need more changes, especially in the scripted sequences?

Testing, testing, testing


And that is the real problem, tons of work in the background to get it dubbed even if the sound files would wondrously appear. ;)



But if you have a bunch of voice actors and a studio that is known for commercial grade work and is willing to bet it's name on this, by all means contact the SureAI team. (Which I am not a part of. Just to make that clear.)
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by chkltcow
Posted: 20.09.2010 21:12
CrzyFooL wrote:
a lot of people wont play a game that is subtitled because they hate to read :-(
This is a sad, sad indictment of our society. I've had friends who refused to watch movies (Inglorious Basterds comes to mind) because they would have to... *gasp*... READ while watching! Are we really this lazy, and what does this say of us as whiny "English snobs" who refuse to indulge in what is a TERRIFIC game simply because it requires them to read a bit?

I, for one, quite enjoy the German voicework! :p
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by warning
Posted: 20.09.2010 21:34
Np for me to read the subtitles (as I'm french and I usually watch movies in english with the subtitles).
Btw some books/letters in game are not translated, and I like playing it 'roleplay', telling myself that it should be a language from a far foreign land that I cannot understand. :lol:
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by kelticpete
Posted: 21.09.2010 05:25
I would settle for just more subtitles and stuff translated into english. like when the bad guys are about to torture you when you go to free a certain slave.....they talked a long time and it was not subtitled. I understand their time constraints as an official team. it would just be nice if someone modded that. and I find a few posters in german.....like the ones that say no magic in town. had no clue about that rule til I broke it
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Lisnpuppy
Posted: 21.09.2010 05:29
I agree that I would like a great deal more translated conversations...if they felt the need to put it in the German version if for background, info or just storyline/RP kinda stuff...then I would like to hear it.

I would NOT want them to redo it in English voice as they got professionals and did it that way. I am perfectly happy to read the subtitles, but then I read quickly so its not that big a deal.

:)
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by hk11
Posted: 22.09.2010 01:41
I like the way the way German sounds. I have been teaching myself for a while (progress is sort of slow) and enjoy having the german voiceovers. I plan on soon being able to play some of my old favorites like gothic in the native language. :D
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by UltimateTobi
Posted: 22.09.2010 02:28
It's a German mod, it's meant to be German voiced, I think English texts is enough, you might learn some German. :P
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Karsciyin
Posted: 17.11.2010 09:38
Psh, I'd rather have pro Germans over rubbish English...ans... any day.

Besides, once you 'zone in', you can read the subtitles and automatically apply the inflection they use to them (which makes some lines sounds hilariously deadpan, or lack the passion one would expect, but - ) for the most part it works really well - I can 'hear' the words.

The only issues is Arkt's speech at the end about 'shadow gods' is not translated, and even though Porim's words on the boat IS translated, you get "...loading..." popping up to take the subs' place. I can only pick out a few words - "infrastructure" and "Aeterna".

...oh, and that book about the story of... erm... the main Aeterna guy that is imprisoned... yeah, that's not translated AT ALL. But that's not an audio thing, so... *shrug*
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by koschwarz
Posted: 18.11.2010 11:44
narrow minded...i don't speak german at all but i don't have a problem with german. not everything always have to be in english...
Re: Any Chance At a Full English Voice Over? - by Szoreny
Posted: 18.11.2010 22:36
Personally the German V.O. gives Nehrim a distinct flavor, and I believe my inability to comprehend the language makes the actors' performances seem even better, as I don't have a native language standard to compare them to.

I remember before the Witcher's enhanced edition patch was released, a Witcher forum member from Poland was kind enough to send me the Polish voice files from his installation. I used 'em to get my game to play Polish V.O. with English subtitles, and my enjoyment of the game increased since the English cast was....lacking in gravitas.

And there's almost an..other-worldliness that comes along with hearing an unfamiliar language....

yes - being an idiot mono-linguist does have its advantages.

The only complaint I have about Nehrim's subtitles has been mentioned before, its that they have no background and can be very hard to read when displayed over bright objects and scenery.
All times are UTC+02:00
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited