[Spoilers] Epic moments of Enderal

Moderator: Moderatoren

12 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
ywhtptgtfo
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 5 Mal

I find this game to be memorable in many ways. Here are some favourite moments I have:
1. Daddy scenes: I find the portrayal of this traumatic experience to be very compelling. This is due in no small part how likable Daddy always starts off as how conversations with him always becomes dark in the space of a sentence. To add to the sinister nature of the encounter, we also have mom and sister sitting with their faces covered.

2. Status of the flooded city: This is the most gloomy scene I've seen in any game. The player witnesses the last moments of people in the previous civilization. I wonder how much of it is inspired by Pompeii, but this is definitely quite original. One gripe I have is that you don't see people in such posture at the end. They all just lie around slowly dying instead of being instantly incinerated as suggested by those statues.

3. Constantine's death speech: The twist is very memorable. An arrogant and cynical old man suddenly becoming Gollum and waving about how sad this female entity is.

4. Sky city mural: The art is amazing and powerfully projects the feeling of an ancient evil prophecy.

5. Lishari: I find her personality and voice acting to be the best in the game. She is practical, efficient, open-minded, talkative, not too serious, not dramatic, and not "cute". A pretty rare combination of traits. :)

6. The Starling shipbuilder: His manner of speaking is pretty unique. While characters referring to themselves in third person are not unheard of, this is the first time I see characters using 3rd person pronouns to refer to himself. His conversations with those Starling spiders were cute and provide a good comic relief before the upcoming tragedies. One immersion breaker is that not all Starling characters speak in the same way.

7. Andrasta Braveblood: The painter woman had this voice of an indulgent auntie who wanted to stand up for her bullied favourite nephew. Killing her was a hard decision but her wanting to off the witch hunter tilted my decision.

8. Liberal use of blood and corpses: I find the violence portrayed in this game to be quite appropriate. It's a cruel world, people do cruel things, and you see the aftermath.
ninjamelody
Schwertmeister
Schwertmeister
Danksagung erhalten: 7 Mal

Spoilers for sure.

I second your points 2 and 5, really like the City of a Thousand Floods, it's devastating and showing figures of how people die slowly, learning the betrayals, just like the current time in the game.

Also Lishari Peghast is such an amazing character, she has such great personality, too bad she was killed off quite early in the game and I could take no part in the investigation, those thing kind of a bummer for me. I was expecting a relationship development would be with her, she'll be the one I take most interest.

The point I'd like to bring up is about the Undercity, which features the contrast of Ark's majestic city and the shinyness of the Holy Order, socially. It is filled with beggars, drugs, tricky merchants, prostitution, sick people and the healers. But most important are the unfinished locations of the deeper dungeons, the corpse pit, crypts, the orphanage, the glimmerdust lane, spider princess' lair. Which the dungeons seems to be completed but the quests and things related to the lore had to be cut out of the project. I strongly believe there are stories written about the vatyrs in the orphange, the spider queen, the Darkhand family (which are lost ones that use magic with Dragon Priest animation), the drugs...
ywhtptgtfo
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I agree with the unfinished part.

It's really a pity that Creation Kit mods are generally not easy to modularize especially when it comes to quests, objectreferences, text, and level design. Otherwise, it could be an option for the team to put the work on github and offshore some work to volunteers. While sub-mods are an option, there's always the danger of conflict. I am a big fan of the open/close paradigm, but conflicts are extremely to avoid when it comes to quest-related changes (which usually govern global states and variables).
ikachan
Bettler
Bettler

One of the things I really like are the moments when Calia goes into demon mode. It's not terribly often that a game actually gets me feeling shocked and they managed it the first time I ever saw Calia go and viciously kill that bandit leader back in that excavation site.

And later on in the castle, although you can't see what's going on, you can hear the screams and the fear and it's horrifying yet amazing.

I also felt oddly satisfied and excited when that Starling airship first took off
ninjamelody
Schwertmeister
Schwertmeister
Danksagung erhalten: 7 Mal

Yeah, Calia in her dad's castle was brutally epic, I wish there were more to explore about Calia's demon side whether it's about being essential for Calia's survival, or if she's not your romance partner, will the demon die?

For some reason about the Starling ship departing, I was already sensing something's about to get naughty haha.
DrakeArron
Bettler
Bettler

ninjamelody hat geschrieben:
Yeah, Calia in her dad's castle was brutally epic, I wish there were more to explore about Calia's demon side whether it's about being essential for Calia's survival, or if she's not your romance partner, will the demon die?

For some reason about the Starling ship departing, I was already sensing something's about to get naughty haha.
Well, we don't know all that much about the next game, but I have a theory (That is, of course, spoiler heavy. again- SPOILER HEAVY)-
Keep in mind this is the storlyline I played so I'm biased-

If you chose calia, and chose to sacrifice yourself, calia goes on to help the rest of the world.
Now, it's reasonable to assume that the "sacrifice self" path is the one that will be cannon in the storyline for the next game- as afterall, SureAI's games have had a consistent storyline through each for quite a while now- completely obliterating the entire world they'd created leaving only two objects (not just characters- every civilization and continent would be gone too), wouldn't exactly work.

As such, you sacrificing yourself is the cannon route (for future games), and in all liklihood the next game will take place in one of the other countries, where said country attempts to thwart the high ones plans once and for all.
Now, as Calia is the one to spread this news, and is also likly the only survivior of the obliteration of an entire country, she will probably be a figure of some reverance in the next game.
Also important to note is that the veiled woman saved her life- and she did it specifically after she was infected with the spirit (as we've seen she didn't need the black stone to revive someone from death). Considering the veiled woman is, as far as we can tell, omnicsient, it's thus reasonable to assume Calias possesion is of importance.

So.... the result of all this reasoning is that its not unlikely that you *will* get your wish. As Calia will be a figure of reverance in the next game and her possesion is of importance, probability states that we'll learn more about her in said game. Of course, as Sure AI usually only makes one game per Elder Scrolls game and it takes a while to do so (an will be a while before a new Elder Scrolls game comes out), that will likely be a long way away from now.... unfortuneatly.
Glycerin
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 53 Mal

DrakeArron hat geschrieben:
So.... the result of all this reasoning is that its not unlikely that you *will* get your wish. As Calia will be a figure of reverance in the next game and her possesion is of importance, probability states that we'll learn more about her in said game. Of course, as Sure AI usually only makes one game per Elder Scrolls game and it takes a while to do so (an will be a while before a new Elder Scrolls game comes out), that will likely be a long way away from now.... unfortuneatly.
Don't get your hopes too high. When SureAI started making total conversions for Elder Scrolls titles, they were still in school, or later studying at university. They had a lot more free time back then than now with full-time jobs in most cases. Guess the good times are over :wink: .
When asked, they didn't rule out the possibility of a new game, but Enderal might very well have been the last one they made.
Alias72
Bettler
Bettler

On point 8. I generally liked the aesthetics of Enderal but had a few problems with it. There were, especially in the starter area, a few too many crucified corpses by the side of the road. after the 5th they lose their impact. This contrasts with the abandoned cabin containing the dead child and note "the animals are evil they ate mommy and daddy". That, I felt, had an impact.

The other atmospheric choice that I have some difficulty with is the arrangement of populations. Riverville, Duneville, Frostcliff Tavern, and the farmers coast are the only significantly populated areas on the map. There are, however, many destroyed settlements everywhere. After walking through the heartland a few times I came to the conclusion that at least half the population of enderal is already dead. I feel that is a bit much. Additionally there appeared to be a few too many indicators of human habitation in the frostcliff mountains (the dark valley gave me the impression of the unexplored wilderness so i expected frostcliff, which lies beyond, to be uninhabited). It may have been nice to see an intact farm every once in a while.

All of the above said I deeply enjoyed the setting of enderal. Many of the complaints I have I only noticed because I cared about where I was and what surrounded me. I felt like I was in an actual place instead of a setting for my next crossbow duel with a dragon or game of bandit volleyball.
ywhtptgtfo
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Alias72 hat geschrieben:
On point 8. I generally liked the aesthetics of Enderal but had a few problems with it. There were, especially in the starter area, a few too many crucified corpses by the side of the road. after the 5th they lose their impact. This contrasts with the abandoned cabin containing the dead child and note "the animals are evil they ate mommy and daddy". That, I felt, had an impact.
Possibly. However, this is not necessarily an overuse of crucification, since Romans lined entire avenues with such horrendous displays in the aftermath of Spartacus' rebellion.

I didn't find come across the dead child you mentioned, but yes, even such a tiny detail is very memorable.
The other atmospheric choice that I have some difficulty with is the arrangement of populations. Riverville, Duneville, Frostcliff Tavern, and the farmers coast are the only significantly populated areas on the map. There are, however, many destroyed settlements everywhere. After walking through the heartland a few times I came to the conclusion that at least half the population of enderal is already dead. I feel that is a bit much. Additionally there appeared to be a few too many indicators of human habitation in the frostcliff mountains (the dark valley gave me the impression of the unexplored wilderness so i expected frostcliff, which lies beyond, to be uninhabited). It may have been nice to see an intact farm every once in a while.

All of the above said I deeply enjoyed the setting of enderal. Many of the complaints I have I only noticed because I cared about where I was and what surrounded me. I felt like I was in an actual place instead of a setting for my next crossbow duel with a dragon or game of bandit volleyball.
Agreed. I thought about that too. Every time I see a farm on the compass, I'd be like "oh great, another enemy spawn". OTOH, I respect that SureAI has time constraint in making too many towns "alive".
Don't get your hopes too high. When SureAI started making total conversions for Elder Scrolls titles, they were still in school, or later studying at university. They had a lot more free time back then than now with full-time jobs in most cases. Guess the good times are over :wink: .
When asked, they didn't rule out the possibility of a new game, but Enderal might very well have been the last one they made.
Oh yeah. However, these guys are Germans, the most single-minded race in the world with an obsession for wörk. :)

But seriously, it would be great if they all get job offers from a nice game studio that is known for quality. Valve, Obsidian Studios, and Paradox Interactive. If somehow, their passion becomes their job as well, we can all win. Of course, that's a pretty long stretch but it can happen. :)
Blackrock
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Not really an "epic" moment, but one small detail I absolutely loved is the record player on Kurmai's airship. Before going to sleep and moving on to the Starling city, I just set there on the chair, kicked back and listened to the music. It's minor things like these, not fancy graphics and highly-paid voice actors, that create a true sense of immersion :)
12 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2