Have you guys considered doing a Kickstarter project?

Moderator: Moderatoren

8 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
calfurius
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

As the title says, you guys have the skill, the talent, and community support to actually make a kickstarter project if you wanted too.

You wouldn't even have to set in the same world as Enderal/Nehrim. Enderal was amazing, and with actual funding you could make an greater game.
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I really enjoyed Nehrim.

If only scumbag parasites like Gabe Newell had not totally f---ed up the PC gaming industry, i would be playing Enderal right now. (Flame on, Steam fanboys)

Why do you not do like Projekt CD Red and release games like the Witcher series where I do not need some greedy middleman between me and the game developer, preventing me from buying and playing games? If Enderal is anything like Nehrim, I would willingly pay $60US for a copy, if it were a stand-alone installation, and not tied to crap like Steam.
Coffee_Grinds
Schurke
Schurke
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

AlKHall1 hat geschrieben:
I really enjoyed Nehrim.

If only scumbag parasites like Gabe Newell had not totally f---ed up the PC gaming industry, i would be playing Enderal right now. (Flame on, Steam fanboys)

Why do you not do like Projekt CD Red and release games like the Witcher series where I do not need some greedy middleman between me and the game developer, preventing me from buying and playing games? If Enderal is anything like Nehrim, I would willingly pay $60US for a copy, if it were a stand-alone installation, and not tied to crap like Steam.
so you refuse to play Enderal because of Steam? What does this have to do with kickstarter?
madawe
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

AlKHall1 hat geschrieben:
I really enjoyed Nehrim.

I am not sure what you are hoping to accomplish. You are posting in an Enderal discussion forum to talk about your distaste for steam?
No one here has any power to change Bethesda's choice to make the game require steamworks. I hope that you are able to get over your Steam phobia because you can buy Skyrim for way less than $60 bucks right now and you would get to enjoy a great game you want to play. Voting with your dollars is one thing but five years later the only thing you are accomplishing at this point is making yourself unhappy. JOOOIIINNN USSSSS.

edit - Getting back on topic. I would contribute to a kickstarter but I wonder what kind of money would be required to make a game like this if you were doing it from scratch.
Cassiopeia
Gauner
Gauner

I'd support it. I just finished Enderal, and though I never played and don't own Oblivion, I'm seriously considering buying it just so I can play Nehrim. Obviously mods can't make money like original games for legal reasons, but the quantity and quality of content in your mods could make an absolutely glorious stand-alone game.

I don't mind Steam, and of course Bethesda deserves some credit for making these mods possible, but I think a lot of us would love to see more projects from SureAI, and would rather throw our money at you than Steam or Bethesda.
stuemper
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 1240 Mal

Our project manager once said something about starting a kickstarter project in the german forum.

short and rough translation of the important part:
"Thanks for your trust, but it ain't that easy. A project of this magnitude needs more than just a fanbase. It needs a multi-million amount of money and a very good team in every sector of game development (that we do not have). Indie games almost always go insolvent und their kickstarter campaigns fail very often. Keep in mind we used a lot of systems, assets and animations from Skyrim. These things would have cost 1-2 million euro if every team member gets industry-standard salaries. The budget for a "stand alone" development would be many times higher.
The Enderal fanbase is too little to cover this budget. With less money we had to cut content and quality. And then they will complain that they got better game for free previously.
To develop an own game you'l need a venturesome investor who brings a big part of the budget with him and who gives a lot of time for the studio to build a working team.
I didn't liked Bethesdas system of paid mods.
The whole modding community were also very critical of paid mods. Pretty ironical that the community "blocked" this opportunity."
calfurius
Bettler
Bettler

While many Kickstarter projects tend to fail, a good chunk of them succeed.

You guys honestly would likely be one of the successful ones if you decided to make a kickstarter that was say, 500k, and got the rest from investors.

The problem with many Kickstarters is the lack of trust with the projects. You guys have that trust and experience.

You need to remember, that your base isn't merely just Skyrim fans. It's people who miss the days of classic RPGs.

Not to mention you guys would be filling in an important niche. We have plenty of top down isometric RPGs. But a 3D RPG game where you create your own character, with an emphasis on strong role-playing mechanics and a story, is something that is highly desired in the game industry but hasn't been fulfilled yet.

The closest we have to that are games like Dragon Age, but they only come out half a decade.
stuemper
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 1240 Mal

calfurius hat geschrieben:
While many Kickstarter projects tend to fail, a good chunk of them succeed.

You guys honestly would likely be one of the successful ones if you decided to make a kickstarter that was say, 500k, and got the rest from investors.
500k is far away from what we got through donations... And finding investors is another difficulty.
Game development isn't that easy or cheap as you think. Example: Creating a detailed character like Geralt (from Witcher 3) with all his animations, his design etc. cost easily more than one million dollar/euro (without voice acting in 20 languages). Some of us are currently working in the game industy. We know what we are talking about ;)
8 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1