Loading Times and Frequency

Moderator: Moderatoren

4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

I realized how much loading times and frequency affect my enjoyment of a game while experiencing 3 RPGs this year. In Dragon Age Inquisition, the loading was extremely long when transitioning areas, sometimes as long as 75 seconds. This negatively affected my enjoyment of the game as I often avoided transitioning to another area just because of the slow loading.

In Pillars of Eternity the loading was not so long, but there were just so many! Enter a house - loading, go upstairs - loading, rest - loading, go downstairs - loading, go out - loading. This deterred me from a second playthrough as the frequent loading became quite annoying.

Currently, I am well into Witcher 3 and I realized that I was enjoying it so much, in part, because there was practically no loading, other than when loading a save. I don't know how they managed it with such large areas and even entering buildings walking straight through doors. I guess it helps to be able to develop your own engine rather than use someone else's. (Of course, the system requirements are quite a bit higher for Witcher 3 to be able to do this). I hope if SureAI becomes a professional developer, they will likewise be able to do so.

My point (finally) is that I hope Enderal will not be plagued by frequent or slow loading. I assume this is a function of the underlying engine, so I don't know how much control SureAI has over it, but I recall in Nehrim most of the crashes I had occurred during loading, either when sleeping or passing through doors. I hope that won't be a problem in Enderal.
Hazzmat
Magier
Magier
Danksagung erhalten: 15 Mal

Probably not as the creation engine is quit a bit more stable than the old gamebryo engine.
Caleb8980
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler
Danksagung erhalten: 138 Mal

Well this is rather fitting ^^ Currently in the german forum there is a little debate about the ingame water of Enderal, namely the textures of it.

Lord Dagon said in the same context that they are deliberately avoiding too many huge textures (namely 4k and above) as those make Enderal really labile and increase the amount of crashes very fast.

According to him Enderal currently has maxed out the RAM it can use so that it runs stable and they intend to hold it there.

So I guess the absolute amount of crashes will go down compared to Nehrim, as that was one of the negatively acclaimed points of Nehrim ;-)

As for the loading time well how fast it loads saves actually depends on how many seperate saves you make - the more the longer the loading duration, so try to overwrite old saves as often as possible to hold it down (or delete old saves after you notice a longer loading time).

The loading time for interiors (or the exterior) is more or less fixed by the engine and a world like Witcher 3 where you have no loading screens at all is unfortunately not possible in Skyrim, as the engine would "melt" xD
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

Thanks for the insight about what is being discussed in the German forum. I'll remember your advice.
4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1