Skyrim Prerequisite?

Moderator: Moderatoren

17 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
otaku330
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

This is probably a stupid question but I'm new here so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Do you need to buy the actual/official Skyrim game on Steam (or the PC/disk version) first before buying this game (I'm assuming this mod isn't free, but WOO-HOO if it is) or can you just buy Enderal by itself? I ask because I already have Skyrim for the PS3 and would feel stupid buying it again for my PC if I didn't need to for this game to work. Also, assuming an actual Steam or PC/disk version of Skyrim is a prerequisite, do you need to have all the extra DLC for Skyrim to play this game or will just the basic game be enough? (I hope that makes sense?)
Holomay
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter
Danksagung erhalten: 44 Mal

Hi otaku330, welcome to the forum! :)

Enderal is free, but the basic Skyrim game for PC will be required to play it. DLC add-ons will not be required.

Please make sure to vote for Enderal on Moddb.com ("Best Upcoming 2014"). The prize awarded for the winners would be helpful for our future plans. :)
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

If I have the Skyrim disc, and install the game, am I required to activate it through Steam or whatever DRM?

Or, can I simply install and replace the files like I did with Oblivion and Nehrim?

Due to the DRM requirement, I have no interest in, nor intention to play, Skyrim.

If I am not required to activate it, I would buy Skyrim just to play Enderal.
Caleb8980
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler
Danksagung erhalten: 138 Mal

AlKHall1 hat geschrieben:
If I have the Skyrim disc, and install the game, am I required to activate it through Steam or whatever DRM?

Or, can I simply install and replace the files like I did with Oblivion and Nehrim?

Due to the DRM requirement, I have no interest in, nor intention to play, Skyrim.

If I am not required to activate it, I would buy Skyrim just to play Enderal.
Well you most likely need at least the newest version of Skyrim for Enderal; I guess if you google it you can find the patches also steamless. But I don't think Skyrim will start without being activated and I also don't think that Enderal will work like that.

(There are obviously pirated versions of Skyrim, which work without Steam but SureAi never supported cracked Oblivion so I doubt they will do it in any other form for Skyrim)

But I'm actually wondering what the deal with Steam as DRM is; Origin I understand, Ubisoft Game launcher I also understand, Windows Live (thank god this one got killed xD) should have never existed.

But Steam was like that since the beginning with HL and CS and only once in the 7 years since I use it I ran into trouble with the DRM.

And please, the whole "omg it's spying on my PC" is totally overblown, Google does the same thing all day long.
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

So, you are saying no; I cannot play Enderal?

Unfortunate, as I really enjoyed Nehrim, more than Oblivion, in fact.

I am not saying Steam is 'spying', (although Steam, like Google and many others, make a considerable amount of money from their data-mining activities) it is a matter of being treated like a common thief, even though I would be paying for the retail boxed version. In fact, I had pre-ordered the Collectors Edition of Skyrim the first day it was available, only to cancel the order once it was disclosed that it would require Steam.

Thanks for the reply.

Now I need to wait for The Witcher 3, a DRM-free game from a company who does not prejudicially assume I am a thief.
MrHappyFace
Gauner
Gauner
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

At the very least, you will need an installation of Skyrim in order to install Enderal.

However, Enderal uses the Skyrim engine, so if you can't actually run Skyrim.exe for any reason, then this probably has to be resolved before you can run Enderal.

If DRM is an issue, it's actually very easy to remove (I actually used to make my own no disc cracks, mostly to avoid malware. Only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it). I purchased Skyrim legitimately from the store around the corner. Then I downloaded a crack so that I wouldn't be reliant on Steam or the physical disc. DRM is usually terrible, don't even get me started on the flaws of these systems.

tl;dr Cracking != Piracy. If you buy it legit, there's no problem. Skyrim probably costs next to nothing nowadays anyway.

Disclaimer: I don't know 100% how Enderal works, I can only make educated guesses.
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

MrHappyFace hat geschrieben:
At the very least, you will need an installation of Skyrim in order to install Enderal.

However, Enderal uses the Skyrim engine, so if you can't actually run Skyrim.exe for any reason, then this probably has to be resolved before you can run Enderal.

If DRM is an issue, it's actually very easy to remove (I actually used to make my own no disc cracks, mostly to avoid malware. Only takes a few minutes once you get the hang of it). I purchased Skyrim legitimately from the store around the corner. Then I downloaded a crack so that I wouldn't be reliant on Steam or the physical disc. DRM is usually terrible, don't even get me started on the flaws of these systems.

tl;dr Cracking != Piracy. If you buy it legit, there's no problem. Skyrim probably costs next to nothing nowadays anyway.

Disclaimer: I don't know 100% how Enderal works, I can only make educated guesses.
If one were to employ cracks, would one be required to activate the game through Steam? I ask because I do not understand exactly how either work.

I have always been adverse to any form of questionably illicit activities regarding what some might regard as 'pirating', and while I would definitely buy a legitimate retail copy of Skyrim for the sole purpose of playing Enderal, (I could not care less about Skyrim) somehow I just cannot bring myself to crack it.

To my mind, the evil that Steam and others have brought upon the gaming industry does not justify my joining them in their immoral activity.
MrHappyFace
Gauner
Gauner
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Perhaps if we change the term "cracking" to something like "removing Steam dependency" then it will sound a bit better :P

* Text removed
Nicolas Samuel
Writer
Writer
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 682 Mal

Folks,

Hosting a discussion about cracking (that includes removing Steam dependency) could get us into deep legal trouble. :(

We think it's sad that Skyrim is tied to Steam, and that there isn't a way to legally purchase it elsewhere (GOG, maybe) - especially since we know many people who won't play it because of that -, but due to the aforementioned situation. Sorry for that. :dead:
Caleb8980
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler
Danksagung erhalten: 138 Mal

Nicolas Samuel hat geschrieben:
Folks,

Hosting a discussion about cracking (that includes removing Steam dependency) could get us into deep legal trouble. :(

We think it's sad that Skyrim is tied to Steam, and that there isn't a way to legally purchase it elsewhere (GOG, maybe) - especially since we know many people who won't play it because of that -, but due to the aforementioned situation. Sorry for that. :dead:
Regarding that I have a question: how does Enderal work with Steam? After all I read that you can't publish it in the Workshop and Steam Greenlight also seems not possible.

Also you can't deactivate the Skyrim.esm or Update.esm in the usual game launcher.

Is Enderal then still installed over Steam and then comes with its own launcher or will it be completely standalone from Steam?

Btw I ask this because it interests me, no cracking or anything similar involved ;-)

P.S.: It is really weird to ask this here in english, as I could just ask it in german, too xD But this thread is already about Steam, so instead of being offtopic or even opening a new one, this seems more appropiate ^^
17 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2