Enderal not saving 

Moderator: Moderatoren

8 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Rihlor
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Hello all,

First off, I am massively enjoying Enderal. I had sunk 150 hours into The Witcher 3, completing all main and DLC quests before I started Enderal and was hungry for another RPG to sink my teeth into. Witcher 3 has few competitors in the gaming world in terms of storytelling but I must say the team at Enderal has created one of the few games with a comparable depth and richness to their characters. I am about 40 hours in, playing as a half-Kilean warrior/elementalist named Ri'hlor after the eponymous god of fire from A Song of Ice and Fire.

However, I have had the unfortunate luck of running into some major game-breaking bugs all at once after my character's quick stay at Frostcliff Tavern as part of the main quest Into the Deep. Many of these I have fixed or found work-arounds for, but one that I cannot seem to get around is the game's refusal to save. I can neither overwrite existing saves or make new manual saves. Autosaves do not save either. Another user posted about this issue here https://forum.sureai.net/viewtopic.php?t=12508. I have followed the suggestions on that thread as well as more common fixes (restarting computer, verifying game files, reinstalling), but these have not worked for me.
Any advice? Other fixes I can try?
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi, welcome to the forum :)

- do you have any mods installed or are you using a save manager (or a Modmanager to organize profiles?)

- is there any write protection on the save folder?
(disable it)
- how do you run Enderal? (through Steam/with a shortcut to the Launcher/ with the skse_loader?)
in general you start the Launcher with Steam (don't know why, apparantly it can make a difference),
but maybe try all options as Administrator

- delete the *.ini files in ...\Documents\My Games\Enderal.
the Launcher will create new ones. try again to save.

- what "major game-breaking bugs" are you talking about? that certainly doesn't sound good :?
can you try to move the saves that were created after Frostcliff Tavern, load a "bugfree" one and save that?
(no idea why that would work :dumb: )

- can you save on a new game?
Rihlor
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

28.04.2019 10:46urst hat geschrieben:
hi, welcome to the forum :)
Thanks! And thanks for getting back to me!
do you have any mods installed or are you using a save manager (or a Modmanager to organize profiles?)
-I do use a few mods, but no modmanager or save manager. The mods I have active (all from steam workshop) are:
  • NPC Overhaul
    Quivers - Back on Back
    Realistic Ragdolls and Force (Enderal)
    TKDodge
    Mixed Animation
    Dead Body Collision
    No Spinning Death Animation (Enderal)
    Faster Horses
    Ice Claw Max Weight Limit +5
    Ambrosia 10% price
    Fast Travel Enderal Enabler
    Rocio Outfit
    Yuslan Surcoat
- is there any write protection on the save folder?
(disable it)
-no write protection on the save folder, I made sure twice I had total control
- how do you run Enderal? (through Steam/with a shortcut to the Launcher/ with the skse_loader?)
in general you start the Launcher with Steam (don't know why, apparantly it can make a difference),
but maybe try all options as Administrator
-I usually run Enderal straight through steam but I have been using the SKSE loader because running from steam or a shortcut to a launcher doesn't work consistently lately. I've tried all three as admin, no success.
- delete the *.ini files in ...\Documents\My Games\Enderal.
the Launcher will create new ones. try again to save.
-Tried that today, game wouldn't launch from launcher and loading it from the SKSE loader launched skyrim instead.
- can you save on a new game?
-Tried that today, can't save on new game either

- what "major game-breaking bugs" are you talking about? that certainly doesn't sound good :?
can you try to move the saves that were created after Frostcliff Tavern, load a "bugfree" one and save that?
(no idea why that would work :dumb: )
-I have no new saves after Frostcliff Tavern. I did journey into the Crystal Forest but I was killed by one of the elementals there and the bugs started after that. Autosave generated from leaving Frostcliff Tavern and all other autosaves were corrupted. All saves before Frostcliff Tavern also corrupted. I also can't leave the Tavern through any of the doors now without the game crashing. I've tried teleporting out of the Tavern and that seems to work except I can't save my game afterwards.

Whelp, anything else I can try?
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 525 Mal

Do you still have enough space on your hard drive where the saves are stored?
Rihlor
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

28.04.2019 18:23Kermit 61 hat geschrieben:
Do you still have enough space on your hard drive where the saves are stored?
I have 86.3GB free on my hard drive right now so I should be okay spacewise, though it's possible my system is not allocating space for saves properly. The saves are in the default directory i.e. C:/users/user/documents/My Games/Enderal/Saves. Any way you know of to check how my system is allocating space for saves?
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

30.04.2019 14:53Rihlor hat geschrieben:
any way you know of to check how my system is allocating space for saves?
no idea about that, sorry :(

some other suggestions / questions, though:

- are there similar problems with other games? (can you save in Skyrim?)
- what is the Steam cloud doing? activate/deactivate it for Enderal
- deactivate your mods and try again, on a new save as well (it's unlikely, we just want to make sure it's not caused by mods :) )
- please upload a save (*.skse + *.ess) and the launcher.log from ...\Enderal\Enderallauncher\system\log
- maybe run a virus- and malwarescan :?:

edit:
was there a windows update at the time the issues began?
not sure if you tried that already, but you could disable the "controled Folder access" or whitelist the game folder
Rihlor
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Hi! I have resolved this issue.

With regard to the game not saving, after reinstalling Enderal after the newest update and following the advice in this thread, I can save just fine and have been progressing through the game just fine (still super fantastic btw!)

With regard to crashing when trying to leave Frostcliff tavern, after teleporting away and saving, I realized the game also crashes when teleporting or travelling *to* Frostcliff tavern as well. I looked it up and it turns out this is an issue with the mod NPC Overhaul where Esme's hair doesn't load properly if your textures aren't set to high or above, it breaks the whole region. After switching my texture settings to high, the region loads fine.

Thanks everyone for your help and support!
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

thank you for getting back to that, we'll try to keep the mod issue in mind for future reference :thumbsup:
8 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1