Crashing - UseOSAllocators=0

Moderator: Moderatoren

5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Brenda515
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

My game crashes reliably after a couple minutes of play. It only happens on my current save, which I estimate to have about 25 hours of play (level 16). If I start a new game, it runs correctly without crashing.

I tried adding a line for DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768 in the C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Data\SKSE\SKSE.ini file, under the [Memory] section, but I still get the warning telling me that it isn't set. Is there another place I should put it? And should I increase it, if I have 16GiB total RAM?

I'd also like to try setting UseOSAllocators=1 in CrashFixPlugin.ini but that requires SKSE Plugin Preloader from http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75795/ . I can't get it, because nexusmods.com won't let me sign up. If anyone else has access to that site, could they please post an alternate download link?

Thanks for reading
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

welcome to the forum :)

could you upload an affected savegame, please?
found in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves, we'll need the skse and the ess of a manual (not quick or auto) save
pack them to a rar or zip archive and attach them to a post here :)

do you /did you have any mods installed?
even if you've uninstalled them, they have probably left traces in your save.

the crash probably doesn't happen exactly every 15 minutes?
that would be a known "bug" but I don't think that it only affects saves.

if it does
[+] +
- open the task manager in detailed view
- look for a Service named tabtip or TabletInputService and close it
(Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel service)
- you can reenable it anytime :)
Brenda515
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

Save is attached. Exploring for another 30 seconds and then attempting to save again causes a crash, although standing still doesn't.

I don't think this bug is related to the save, though. I can continue playing in already-explored areas for as long as I want, but if I go out into the wilderness, then it crashes. It feels like it uses more and more memory as I explore more, and at a certain limit, it can't handle any more - I assumed it's because of the faulty allocator.

Even stranger, I was able to teleport back to a different town, explore a different wilderness near that town, and not crash. Then, I reloaded the save (the attached one) and it no longer crashes. So, whatever happened, it works now.

Edit: I've never had any mods on this installation, except for Enderal and the mods included by Enderal's installer. I confirmed that the Tablet Input Service was disabled. Your tip about deleting the INI files was actually the trick I needed way back when I first installed Enderal - the main menu was blank, and starting a game crashed immediately, and deleting the INI files fixed that, so thank you retroactively :)
Dateianhänge
Save 102 - Rirsu Vyn Enderal 35.54.52.zip
(1.52 MiB) 222-mal heruntergeladen
Eledwen
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 72 Mal

So, I have taken a look at your save.

I have experienced not one crash. I have explored all over, travelled to other cities and then back, went into ruins - no issues. At all. The game runs smoothly, it does not eat too much memory / cpu / gpu than normal, my fps was steady and perfectly fine. Your save is healthy, there are no broken script instances or any other issues.

The one thing that could be different from your game installation to mine is that I am using ENBoost - that is actually the only Skyrim stabilising tool that I know of that actually works. When Enderal is released on Steam, it will be included into the game, but until then, I recommend you check it out. Here is a guide on how to download it and how to set it up. The other methods you described in your first post are not something I know of, so I can't comment on how effect they might or might not be. ENBoost will allow you to determine a lot of things via the enblocal.ini, as long as you set it up properly.

Otherwise, at this point, I think this is going to be a guessing game where I - and the other mods - are going to ask you any question we can think of. Please answer in as much detail as possible, even if the question seems irrelevant to you.
  • Where and when exactly do you crash? What is the specific point of no return for you, when you say - explore more than 30 seconds and ctd? E.g. when entering the location of the main quest with Calia? When Calia stops following you? When you enter the ruin your save is next to?
  • What is your hardware setup and windows version? Enderal is comparable to a very heavily modded Skyrim, so maybe your PC is just being finicky? Maybe give it try with lower graphic settings?
  • Let us try a little experiment. Open the console (^) in the main menu, once the game has loaded but before you load any saves. Type in coc testing - this will create a generic character in a test area. Open the console again and type in coc AltDoleshExterior, this should transport you to the location of the save you have uploaded. Go exploring, see what happens - does the crash persist?
  • Have you tried a clean installation? It is time consuming, but might be worth a try.
[+] Instructions below.
This is going to be a bit of a wall of text, but please read carefully and follow the steps.

Uninstalling Enderal & Skyrim:
  • Backup your existing savegames to another folder. The saves are usually here: C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves
  • Then, uninstall Enderal via the launcher and then uninstall Skyrim via Steam.
  • Once that is done, please delete the following folders manually. (these are old data remnants of the previous installation).
...\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (your installation path)
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ (folder with game settings and Skyrim / Enderal saves)
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\skyrim\ (current mod settings; a word of warning, this might be a hidden folder)

The same 3 folders are also important when backing up your installation data. This may save you a lot of time later, if you have enough space, as this is where all your current setup information is stored.

New installation:
(Maybe start as administrator and you might want to temporarily deactivate anti-virus programmes or other disruptive background applications)
  • First thing to keep in mind is to install Skyrim on an internal hard drive, maybe even the C system drive (if so, please not in any system folders, but in a separate folder such as C:\Games)
  • Once Skyrim is installed once more, start it Steam can install any secondary software it might need
  • Then, via the Launcher, install, update and finally start Enderal. If there are any issues at this stage, plese upload the launcher.log in ....\steamapps\common\Skyrim\EnderalLauncher\system\log
  • If there are any issues with UAC , please remove any write protection manual in the relevant folders (including subdirecoties) via Properties.

Once this is done, please move your savegames back into the Save folder and test for CTD.

Finally, based on the thread title, I assume you have worked with the mod Crash Fixes at Skyrim Nexus. I think a version of this is already included in Enderal, so if you have tinkered with this, you might have inadvertedly done something... Just a possibility. In this case, I would definitely recommend a clean install.

Please let us know how this works out.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

we now have the suspicion that the reason for you crashes might be
your changing follower state to Calia (or the messages that should appear)

that might show in the papyrus log.

you probably have to turn logging on,
it should read
Code: Alles auswählen
[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1
in the skyrim.ini to enable it :)

they are located in Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script,
named Papyrus.0.log (to 4, 0 ist the newest) could you upload that one please