Leveling seems slow

Moderator: Moderatoren

5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Metaporic
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Heya. First off, Nehrim is fantastic, finally bit the bullet and installed it. Oblivion was just to mundane to keep on with it.

One thing I am finding a bit of a issue however is that leveling seems to take ages, I am about 15 hours in, level 9 and have completed all the middle realm quests I can currently do (everything but purchasing a house and Frostfinger upwards for the bounty quests). However I keep finding myself in level 14 + zones which seems odd as I am way under that level and near the end of Chapter 1. Am I doing something wrong or does it start off slow?

I have read that leveling is to fast, but it does not feel like that for me. I am considering installing a mod to increase the speed at which I level, but id much rather play it the way it was meant to be played, and I dont want to find myself going at warp-speed soon after.

Thanks in advance
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

I think the rate of leveling is appropriate, so I wouldn't mess with it. In addition to doing the side quests, you should explore everywhere. You can gain quite a bit of experience from killing enemies and finding the magic symbols, which each give more experience the more you find . Also, the "recommended" levels are perhaps a bit inflated. I can usually do well in areas quite a bit higher than my level. For example, at levels 9-11 I made an expedition to Treomar just to get the treasures from the 2 big dinos (meatbursters or something like that), by sneaking, running, and sometimes fighting one enemy at a time, then teleported back to Middlerealm. I climbed into Southrealm, where the level is from 30-45, and could do pretty well at levels 15-20, as long as I was careful (and I use a lot of sneak attacks with a good bow and silver arrows).

Are you sure you did all the Middlerealm quests except the bounty quests and buying the house? I don't know how you could do so many quests and still be at level 9. The fine silk quest? Gervasius' 4 quests? Darius' Treasure? The fire bomb bandits? Zebelon tower? Steel Rail Mine? If you try to do all the quests, search all the mines, dungeons, forts, ruins, caves, etc., you can easily spend 80-100 hours on this game, so 15 hours isn't too deeply into it.

For example, my last save from my first playthrough shows level 41 at 118 hours. My last save on my second playthrough shows level 41 at 111 hours (my goal was finding all the magic symbols and armor sets). I'm on my third playthrough now, trying to do as much as I can before doing the main quest (I haven't rescued Kim yet), and I'm at level 31 at 56 hours.
Metaporic
Bettler
Bettler

Thanks for the reply badgesareus. Seems there are more than a few quests left for me to do, however are they in my level range? as I had avoided the mine as it was a level 10 + quest so I assumed it was beyond my reach for the moment. What sorta level zone does the Northrealm encompass (just went up there and was killed by a Wolf haha)? Regardless thanks for pointing out those quests, I had a quick read of the list of side quests on the Nehrim Wiki and missed those myself.

Also Its good to hear that the zones are somewhat inflated as it kinda feels daunting when I enter a area several times higher than my current level. I will defo search around for some dungeons to explore in the level 7-14 zones, to boost my level a bit (and the gold/gear cant hurt).
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

I've been killed several times by a wolf, and by a spider, and by a diseased deer, and even by a fish. You learn not to go strolling through the country like Little Blue Riding Hood (no, not a typo). If you think that's bad, just wait until you think you're being attacked by a little rat and it turns out to be an adult pit rat; 3 bits and you're history! Seriously, the area "levels'" are just a general guide, don't obsess over them.

Much depends on your equipment, weapons, skills, and most importantly, on your style of play. For example, I rely heavily on archery and "sneak" to kill enemies at a distance. Often, I can kill a strong enemy with one arrow, but if it gets close enough to hit me, I'm in trouble, and it might kill me in a couple of hits. With my style of play, I can play in areas quite a bit higher than my own level, with care. However, if you like to play hack & slash, and charge at everything with a two-handed sword, you have to get close enough so they can hit you, too, and in such a case, you probably need to be closer to the stated level. It also depends on your aversion to getting killed. Some players hate getting killed, and will wait until their level is so high they can waltz through a dungeon and take nary a scratch. I save often (hard saves as well as quick saves) because I enjoy the challenge of going somewhere that is "too high" for my level, and figuring out how to succeed anyhow; that's what is fun for me but it may not be what's fun for you. If I get killed, I reload and I know what not to do next time.

I suggest being a bit daring, save, and go somewhere like the Steel Rail Mine. If you have trouble, try changing tactics. If you still have trouble, wait until you are a bit higher level and try again. (By the way, I was level 9 or 10 when I went there, and by the time I finished, I emerged 2 levels higher!) Also, you will earn experience much faster in the higher-level areas because killing higher-level enemies earns more exp. points.
Metaporic
Bettler
Bettler

Yea I think I just need to get used to dying, I am kinda in a Oblivion mind set, go in with my Daedric equipment and crush anything that dares stand up to me to pieces, however the game is a lot more like Gothic 3 (inc community patch haha), nothing is to strong if you play it right, but even the weakest creature can kill if you play it wrong.

Also I realized I had been reserving my LP (no idea why), had about 50, so I invested into Heavy Armor and Blades. I am going for a battle mage style of play, but going for my core skills first. Just entered the mine this morning after dealing with Frostfinger and hitting level 10. Its not going to badly, the bandits where easy enough to handle and give 150-210 xp which is nice.

Again its reassuring to hear that the levels are just loose guides. Oh and don't worry, I have about 150 saves so far, to add to my 500 or so Oblivion saves haha. I save after almost any notable action.

Edit: Just to say, thanks a ton for the help. After clearing the mine I was level 12 and gone from a 16 damage blade to 22 and from 16 armor to 23. Then spent all my LP and have since been leaving a trail of blood behind me in the Northrealm despite its level suggestions haha.
5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1