"Criticism" (read: Praise) of the underworld mission

Moderator: Moderatoren

2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Bastion of Reason
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

This quest was awesome!! I want to award to it a special mention because to me it embodies a lot of the things which went absolutely right in Nehrim.

Spoilers!!!!!!
[+]
I loved the Indiana Jones type of rolling rock trap (the idea was originally stolen from Donald Duck btw.), it caught me totally unawares and had me laughing about it afterwards.

I absolutely loved how this quest was so long. You could just wander there for forever. I always expected the dwarves to be just around the next corner and I loved how everyone was just dead and the whole place long-abandoned. Games don't turn the tables on you like that with false intelligence nearly often enough. Give us more of that with project 5, SureAI! I was expecting a simple cave mission of hack&slash but instead I got a kind of horror-adventure-exploration mission. I was glued to the screen and jumped at every noise. I don't even like or play horror games, but this one had just the right amount of "horror" in it.

I was genuinely impressed by how many, how big and how impressive-looking areas were made despite the fact that you were only ever going to see them once. That's dedication. The part where you're stuck in a scene from Lord of the Rings in Moria felt awesome, when I entered the room I felt something nudge me in my head telling me that I'd seen this before somewhere and when I blew the horn suddenly there was a click in my head and I thought "Right! Now I know where this is from". The colossal skeleton of a worm or something was also terrifyingly inspiring, whatever it was. I simply had to load the game and have a look at it again.

Visually the best scene was the three red dwarven faces in the beginning of the dwarven halls. (I hope there are no star people listening to take offense, the heads really do look more like old-school dwarves than elven-like star people that are supposedly the dwarves of nehrim). I didn't get to see them the way they were intended to, illuminated when you approach them. Instead before I walked up to them I thought "Isn't it kinda dark in here?" and drunk a potion of night-vision. I almost jumped up from my chair when I saw the giant dwarven heads, I thought it was some kind of giant three-headed dwarf monster about to eat me. I loved the surprise and the tension. It fit the unpredictable underdark very well.

This quest was among the best ones in the entire game. The only complaint I have with this quest is that when the conductor at the station of the underworld told me I was dead, I actually thought to myself "That makes sense! What the hell was I thinking? There's no way I could have survived that titanic fall at the dwarf-head statues". I was a little disappointed that I actually wasn't dead because that big of a fall really should have killed me. The train was a nice idea, I honestly didn't expect a train down there. Still that it was a train for the dead was a bit cheesy, and more so because the existence of such a train came out of nowhere. A book about the "train of the dead" in the surface would have been the least SureAI could have done to ease the idea of a train of the dead. The game needs more books anyway.

Still, this was an awesome quest.
Lmaoboat
Krieger
Krieger

I agree, hidden worlds underground has always been one of my favorite themes in fantasy, and this certainly did not disappoint.
2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1