Enchanting?

Moderator: Moderatoren

21 Beiträge Seite 1 von 3
crpgnut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

The enchant mechanic of this game sucks badly. I haven't found any item that has a decent enchantment on it and I'm level 14. Getting rid of the enchanting and spell altars was a mistake. Each use of those could have just burned a teleportation or arcane stone, so as to have a cost involved. I haven't found a 2-effect weapon yet and I'd really love something with shock damage AND soul trap.

Same with spells. Since Nehrim suffers from the same idiocy of spell skill not affecting spell damage, you have to wait to hit a certain level to gain more powerful skills, which totally neglects focusing on roleplaying. If I roleplay a destruction master, I can't get a more powerful fireball than the guy who focuses on sword and board. I have a 70 skill and he has 20 and we do the same amount of damage. Silly. I'd love to see this changed or a mod that addresses this imbalance.

Outside of those two gripes, I'm having a blast with the game. For the most part, design is the biggest strength of the mod. World design and dungeon design are both very well done. I'm finding very little loot in the dungeons though and I think there should be better items in the non-quest dungeons. It's silly when I kill 5000 xp worth of monsters and the best item I find is a steel cuirass that I could buy at level 1. It seems like the devs decided to put one low-level item in each dungeon. I fought through the Sanctum's crypt and didn't find anything that I kept. This is the same in nearly every non-quest dungeon. I'm STILL wearing the (Apprentice) set of crap I found in my 2nd dungeon. I liked finding only iron and steel at low levels, but I'm in the mid-levels and really should be finding more powerful gear.

By far my favorite aspect is the dual-effect spells. I love fireball with its chance of knocking down opponents and I love the ice spells which have a chance of freezing the target. These are fun and similar/same as a few Oblivion mods.
Drix
Krieger
Krieger

The enchant mechanic of this game sucks badly. I haven't found any item that has a decent enchantment on it and I'm level 14. Getting rid of the enchanting and spell altars was a mistake. Each use of those could have just burned a teleportation or arcane stone, so as to have a cost involved. I haven't found a 2-effect weapon yet and I'd really love something with shock damage AND soul trap.
There is a difference between a mechanic and a balancing issue,to me I like the mechanics of it and coupled with some more advanced crafting(like the creation of soul stealer but with other effects) I think it would be great
The problem is currently enchanting is not really worth much which in my opinion should be improved
Creating items with multiple gem effects I don't think would be bad because you have ample control of the number of gems and there placement so as to not stack them to much
Maybe with item quality for the amount of gems you can have
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

I would love to be able to have enchant and spell making altars ,but, I think they would need to be better balanced than those from Oblivion.
You could end up breaking the game extremely quickly by having 100% chameleon or spell reflect. Which made me get bored with the game quite quickly.
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

This has been discussed in the german section before.
Enchanting has been removed because it is really easy -maybe inevitable- to break the balancing with it.

OTOH it is a cool thing and may be implemented if someone finally has a idea that does actually work, and time to implement it, and time to test it, the other features that are much in a more advanced state (aka already announced) are implemented and released, the bugs are squashed and...
In other words "It will be finished when if it is finished, don't hold your breath." or something to the same effect. ;)
crpgnut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

I can't disagree that Oblivion's was way overpowered and I really don't want to see that. If enchanting can't be fixed, then better loot tables are a must. It's really dull finding the same exact stuff in 50 dungeons.

If I have a 50 skill in longswords, I do much more damage than the guy with 20 skill. I'd like to see the same benefits given to mages.

These two items would increase my enjoyment 10 fold.
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

crpgnut hat geschrieben:
then better loot tables are a must. It's really dull finding the same exact stuff in 50 dungeons.
Nehrim does not use loot tables or leveled item lists. Everything is hand placed.
Respawning enemies have also hand placed loot. The random factor is which variant of an enemy gets respawned.
crpgnut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

Here's another interesting take on enchanting. Mage's gear all has things like +2 to destruction/+5 to restoration, right? Okay, that isn't a bonus at all because raising any spell skill doesn't increase it's effect at all. Whether your destruction skill is 10 or 100, a level 2 shock spell does 47 points of damage, for example. It's a total waste of time to wear any mage "boosting" items except for mana regeneration or fortify magicka. All mage skill boosting items are worth zero, except for selling. Something to take into consideration when outfitting your mage. The developers/modders might want to rethink their "fix" of the spell system. Maybe somebody will repackage one of the spell mods that really does fix Oblivion's spell system and port it over to Nehrim. I'm not saying Nehrim has a bad spell system, I think it's great; it's just that the Oblivion enchants are almost completely useless with the static spell system of Nehrim.
Drix
Krieger
Krieger

Okay, that isn't a bonus at all because raising any spell skill doesn't increase it's effect at all.
Pssst heres a secret but don't tell anyone...better skills=lower mana cost
crpgnut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

True, Drix. However with mana potions being widely available and very easy to make, it'd be nice to have another benefit to raising the skills besides less mana. Still, your point is well taken. I'm wondering how much change would be in the mana cost of two to five point items, probably nil. I guess if you wore several items that all boosted the same exact stat, then it might be worth doing. I'll test this and see how much of a difference it makes. Will 10 points drastically drop mana costs or does it take 50?
TrexTitan
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

Ugh, enchantments are not really supposed to define the item, item quality is. armor with good armor and health rating, weapon with high attack and health rating and so on. adding say, 9 frost dmg over 3 secs is a good boon, it does not really make it a frost weapon, it makes it a weapon with frost damage. and gems giving 20 health/28 magica to armor/rings is a very good boon.

Howver that being said.. i think higher quality weapons should be able to stack more gems. iron - fine steel = (1) silver - star = (2) atherna - whatever is better than atherna = (3)

as weapons become more powerfull, an warhammer dealing 70+ dmg would not benifit greatly from 3 fire dmg for 3 secs, an steel/iron short sword would.
21 Beiträge Seite 1 von 3