Bit of a review

Moderator: Moderatoren

2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
ArayaScreams
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Now I've played through significantly more of the game, I'd like to offer some of my reactions.

It's definitely been a refreshing experience, especially seeing such a wonderfully done free mod done entirely by volunteers. While there have been a few things that show it's the fully tested product of a dedicated professional team, I can't even use those to really ding the work, because most dedicated professional companies end up releasing games with even worse issues.

It's been a very thorough and thought out story in a genuinely open world, though with definite guidance to follow a particular path. Unlike more linear attempts at seemingly open worlds though, that path isn't forced, there's merely consequences for going too far afield from where you're expected to be. Also rewards if you survive it!

Even without being able to understand most of what's spoken, I can hear the work that's gone into the voice acting to make the characters believable, even at the most silly. For an example of silly, I have helped the brewer rescue his, uh, "wife"! Which I will tell you now had me bust out laughing on the spot.

The world is very beautifully built (mostly), with a much more believable landscape than is often seen, with deep, dark forests and steep hillsides, varied rivers and their waterfalls over the cliffs. As well as even some nice rolling grassland, or at least as much as can be expect to be seen in such a rocky land. All with lush and pretty vegetation that I even want to stop and look at from time to time.

As I was going through the mines of the Star People, I kept being reminded of a large Quake mod named Rise of the Phoenix, also called Fantasy Quake. I couldn't place exactly why, until I noticed two things. Some of the icy textures looked so much like Rise of the Phoenix's snow levels, and the wood structures inside the mine so much like the pirate ship level. The second thing I'd noticed was how limited some of the geometry was, with many stairways made up of just thin blocks sticking out, without the underlying structure that's come to be expected. With the first, makes me wonder if there was some influence, the second is one of those that shows the lower level of detail work put into this. Not exactly a huge issue, and understandable, but definitely noticeable.

Even at the level I've achieved (still not high, but not nearly as weak as the newborn kitten I started as) I'm finding fights in outlying areas highly challenging, but possible when I'm using more effective tactics. Sometimes even getting downright easy when I find the particular trick for a particular enemy, or the place it's in. Most recently, I've been letting the Astral Fires chase me over the jumping stones in the lava corridor of the Star People site in the north, letting them fall and be taken out by the lava instead of beating myself up on them!

Overall, I do find this to be a great revitalization when Oblivion itself is growing a little tired. Even more it's actually rekindling my interest a bit in Oblivion itself, and I may very well take it up on a new game in the future. It also makes me wonder if some time soon SureAI might get into building a professional product, or if being beholden to investors would only lead to the kind of troubles that so often ruin games with great potential.
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 525 Mal

Thank you for your criticism :thumbsup:

What I can say is that a SureAI commercial project is in progress. Wait a few more months :wink:
But it will be something else and will no longer play in the world of Vyn.
According to Nehrim on Steam planned for June 2020 (that remains for free!).
2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1