Giving Oblivion and Nehrim the TTW treatment.

Moderator: Moderatoren

9 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
EldritchNexus
Bettler
Bettler

I was wondering if it would be possible to play Oblivion and Nehrim as a single game. I know there's a mod called Nehrimblivion, but that wasn't exactly what I had in mind, since there's no way to travel between Cyrodiil and Nehrim with that mod without using console commands. I'd like to see a mod like that which would allow you to travel back and forth between the world of Oblivion and the world of Nehrim like in TTW.

For those that haven't heard of TTW, it stands for Tale of Two Wastelands, a total conversion mod of Fallout: New Vegas that combines the worlds of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas into one single game, and allows you to travel between the Capital Wasteland from F3 and the Mojave Wasteland from FNV via a train system.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do the same thing, but instead of a train, you could take the Shivering Isles approach and have some portal to the Outer Realms open up that allows the Hero of Kvatch (and whatever followers they have) to travel between Tamriel and Nehrim and interact with NPCs from and participate in the questlines of both worlds.

I'd recommend putting the entrance to Nehrim inside Oblivion's Unmarked Cave, which is unfinished and mostly inaccessible without exploits, console commands, or mods. You can read this article for more information.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Unmarked_Cave
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

there would only be the problem that Oblivion and Nehrim not only have different backgrounds
(i.e. not only the spatial separation, but also completely different story content),
but also that the whole game mechanics and level-system is different to Nehrim (not kompatible)
+ that you are already overpowered by Oblivion to the end
EldritchNexus
Bettler
Bettler

Maybe so, but it would still be nice to be able to play both Oblivion and Nehrim in one go without having to juggle save games and files around.

And as for Nehrim's lore and geography being different from The Elder Scrolls...just say that Nehrim is in the Outer Realms beyond Mundus (AKA the dimension where Nirn is located). It's neither in Oblivion nor Aetherius, but in a different set of dimensions somewhere between the two. It's part of a theory I have explaining how the different ZeniMax IPs are linked together, but that's another story.

The idea could be that there's a portal or teleporter or magical item hidden inside Unmarked Cave that transports you to Nehrim, then there's a time skip (like what happens when you travel to the Mojave Wasteland for the first time in TTW), and you end up in the mine at the start of Nehrim's main quest, without all your gear from Cyrodiil. Then at some point after you escape the mine, you meet an NPC that gives you back all your original equipment, and you also locate the portal/teleporter that can take you back to Unmarked Cave in Cyrodiil.

As for the leveling system and other game mechanics, yeah I guess that would take some doing. But I'm sure someone could figure something out.
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

Maybe it helps you to know that Nehrim (as a separate installation with integrated switch) will be released on steam in June 2020.
(for all who also have Oblivioninstallation at Steam, it is free)
This means that it is no longer a complicated crafting task and you do not have to decide what to install.
(we're just about to test the game)
EldritchNexus
Bettler
Bettler

Cool, but two things:

1: I don't use Steam, nor is the operating system I'm currently using compatible with it.

2: I'd still like to be able to play through Oblivion and Nehrim in one playthrough with one character. If it can work with TTW, I don't see why it can't work with Oblivion and Nehrim. You can keep Nehrim's game mechanics (well, most of them) intact on the Nehrim side, though you may have to sacrifice the leveling system, HUD, etc.. But I'm sure it won't hurt the overall experience too much.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

07.01.2020 16:15EldritchNexus hat geschrieben:
1: I don't use Steam, nor is the operating system I'm currently using compatible with it.
(the version used with retail Oblivion will also be patched, just for completeness sake)

"Nehrimblivion" is probably the closest that you'll get, the only missing thing is a door/dungeon to link the worldspaces,
if I'm understanding correctly?
EldritchNexus
Bettler
Bettler

That's correct.
LearningMore
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

I can understand that someone would want this, but it feels so wrong to me. The worlds and lore have nothing to do with each other. The forces of the universe are completely separate. Moving from one to the other just doesn't belong. Even races from one don't exist in the other. :/

Switching between the games back when I played wasn't that complex.
EldritchNexus
Bettler
Bettler

"The worlds and lore have nothing to do with each other. The forces of the universe are completely separate. Moving from one to the other just doesn't belong. Even races from one don't exist in the other."
I guess you didn't read my previous comments. I have it figured out. You go into a dungeon in Cyrodiil, and it contains a portal to the Outer Realms, which takes you to Nehrim. None of the stuff in Nehrim appears in Tamriel for one very simple reason: Nehrim isn't Tamriel, and vice-versa. They're in different parts of Aurbis (the universe/multiverse that The Elder Scrolls takes place in, that contains Mundus, Oblivion, Aetherius, etc.) that normally don't interact with each other that often. That portal is all you need to connect them. Interdimensional travel is a very common, well-established, and accepted part of The Elder Scrolls lore. If it wasn't, then the events of Oblivion wouldn't have even happened.

"Switching between the games back when I played wasn't that complex."
It's a pain having to enable/disable mods in the Launcher, as well as making sure not to load or overwrite the save files of one game while playing the other. It would be so much easier if all that stuff didn't have to be in one place.

EDIT: I've placed Oblivion and Nehrim in two separate Wineskin wrappers provided by Porting Kit. That means that both games are able to run independently from each other.
9 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1