Oblivion and Nvidia GTX 295

Moderator: Moderatoren

13 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
krathax
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Hi all!

Does anybody know if there are known crashing issues with Oblivion in general and Nvidia GTX 295 cards?

I have tried all archived and new drivers for my GTX card and Oblivion and hence Nehrim are not very stable.

Oddly enough if I put my old GTX 9800 in my system, the game is much more stable. Seems like it is HW.

Thanks!

-sb
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

Hi.

Is game just crashing or blue screen. What os you use.
Just asking because my system uses sli'd 9800gt, win 7 64 bit. It crashes occasionally, but also a few BSOD. This appears to be a problem (seen other posts on internet) with gpu/video drivers on this system.

Over the stability of Olivion, this is from Oblivion Tech wiki -
The nature of Oblivion is such that it will crash occasionally, no matter what you do.
THEfog
Schurke
Schurke

@TheHawk
Crash Maybe, but getting a blue screen of death is the signature of a unhealthy system, Oblivion has been unstable for as long as Ive had my new machine but i have never had a BSOD, there is defiantly something very wrong with your PC (Hardware or software) if you are getting BSOD's. Last time i had a BSOD whilst Playing a game was playing crysis and it turned out that it was the first sign that my hard drive was dying, i would start running some diagnostics on your PC if i were you lol and try a cold boot re-installation of your video drivers.

@krathax
Is your GTX 295 factory Overclocked? i know that the gamebryo engine can be very sensitive to overclocking........or fast GPU clock speeds in general hahaha, i know it sounds weird but try down-clocking that card and see what happens.
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

Hi

@THEfog - My system is very healthy - diagnose and check regularly. Which is why posted first response. After my system went down and I checked everything out, I ended up at a tech Microsoft forum and a few others where the same thing had happened due to 64 bit drivers and only on 64 bit systems. Since I have had a few more os updates it has not happened again. Whatever anyone say's 64 bit systems are a little bit unstable from time to time due to the lack of speed software/ hardware companies have in updating 64 bit drivers. It is slowly getting better due to the increased sale of Win 7 64 bit systems.
THEfog
Schurke
Schurke

@TheHawk

no problems dude, was just making sure you actually knew the implications of a Blue Screen and what it can often be caused by. But i do know that 64-bit OS's and Drivers are still unstable with alot of older games like oblivion and i can see why they could throw up BSODs, especially Page_Fault_in_non_paged_area. What are your Specs like?
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

Hi
What are your Specs like?
Definateley need better gpu's but unemployed just before christmas - so no chance.

Have 3 pc's - (2 will have to be sold now)
The one I use for games -

Pro M4N82 mobo
AMD II X4 B50 (4 cores unlocked)
SSD 40gb with Win 7 64 bit os on board
2 x H/d (1 for games installed, 2 backup and paging files) - 3rd hot swap on mobo empty (going to use for linux os)
4gb pc2 6400 ram
2 x 9800gt 1gb sli'd (3rd gpu removed as not dedicating to physx at moment)
THEfog
Schurke
Schurke

Thats a Pretty Good system you have there lol, i was thinking about getting a SSD For just the OS - Just gonna wait until prices drop a little and then ill get a larger one :P

You Had three way SLI at one time? that would have been one hell of a Power drain lol what PSU do you have? I dont know how i can still run all my Games on Very high lol i really need to Upgrade soon.

i have...
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 3.2Ghz
Intel DP35DP Mobo
8GB Kingston PC2-6400
1x Seagate 7200.12 1TB
Nvidia 9600GT 1GB - GPU @800MHZ -VRAM @2GHZ

I Reckon if you Overclock those 9800's You wont have to upgrade in the near future. What are you looking at for a replacement?
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

Hi.
No need for ssd to be large, its only for os and programmes. Still have 16gb free from 40gb. Everything else is on other h/d's. If os goes down, I lose nothing.

PSU is 700 watt, but a top make ocz.
9800's are only gt grade so not that good and oc not too stable even with slight increases (good price - just over £100 for the two), had a 8600 which seemed as good. Never going to be able to afford upgrade the way lifes going, but if prices dropped a bit and found some cash, guess have to look at gtx480 or gtx570 :shock:
THEfog
Schurke
Schurke

Hey,

Yeah, i just want some space to play around with on the solid state - like for CAD or the sorts, im only looking at about 128GB :)
OCZ? I hear they are a pretty reliable brand, does it come with the customizable cables? My Thermaltake 750Watt came with those and it has been a life saver :D

Have You seen the graphs on Toms hardware relating to Power Consumption Of those high end Nvidia cards? its intense! Altough Nvidia are my favorite and i have never had issues with them or their drivers......unlike ATI who made me go through Hell and Back when i Tried Playing AOM for the first time on my ancient PC.
TheHawk
Weltenwandeler
Weltenwandeler

Hi

ocz came in a pretty little case with lots of pockets and every cable/ plug you could imagine.
Power consumption on cards can be intense, but if you (I )ever get enough money, I think the gtx570(at the moment) comes out quite good, runs cool and quiet and a card I looked at had 10 year warranty.
13 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2