So, what exactly goes wrong with the installation and UAC?

Moderator: Moderatoren

15 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
arvisrend
QA Lead
QA Lead
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 45 Mal

I would like to have the reports of Nehrim installation problems due to UAC concentrated in one topic.

As far as I understand, the most often reported installer problem is the following one: the installer does correctly extract the Nehrim files, but it fails to copy the necessary Oblivion files. This leads to missing meshes, missing oblivion.exe or DLLs and other bugs.

Could everybody who has this bug please answer the following questions:

(0) Do you have WinVista or Win7?
(1) Was your original Oblivion game installed in a folder protected by UAC (for instance "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Programme")?
(2) Have you MANUALLY moved or renamed your Oblivion game folder?
(3) Did you try to install Nehrim into a folder protected by UAC (for instance "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)" or "C:\Programme")?
(4) Did you start the Nehrim installer with admin privileges? (Even if you are the only user on the system, you do not automatically start programs with admin privileges. If you want to do so, you must do the right-click procedure.)
(5) Did you have some antivirus software running during installation? If yes, and if you remember which one it was, please tell.
(6) Did you use Oblivion mods which modified the BSA files (such as texture replacers)?

I know that much of this info is scattered over the existing topics, but (sorry...) I don't have that much time, and the rest of the team has neither, so I would ask you to help us out by systematically answering the questions here. Thanks a lot for the help!

------

And here a short guide on manually fixing a failed installation of Nehrim (I mean, failed because of UAC, not failed because of user interrupting):

- Copy the following files from your Oblivion folder to your Nehrim folder:

Oblivion.exe
binkw32.dll
atimgpud.dll
Data/Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa
Data/Oblivion - Sounds.bsa
Data/Oblivion - Meshes.bsa

You might also find it useful to copy OblivionLauncher.exe into your Nehrim folder, in case the Nehrim launcher doesn't work. (Usually, if the Nehrim launcher doesn't work, then you have messed up your registry, and the solution is to reinstall Oblivion again.) Keep in mind that if you want to use the Oblivion launcher instead of the Nehrim launcher, you will have to copy your Nehrim ESM and ESP files into your Oblivion Data folder (or at least create dummy files with the same names), because otherwise you will not be able to check these files in the Oblivion launcher! Better use the Nehrim launcher.

- In the Nehrim launcher, check the Nehrim.esm, NehrimData.esp and NehrimEnglish.esp files (or only the first two, if you want to play in German). UNCHECK the Oblivion ESM and all of your Oblivion mods.
taltamir
Gauner
Gauner
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

There are two possible issues.
1. With windows 64bit, there is Program Files (x86). Installers are really bad at handling the (x86) part of the file path. MS implemented it in a real clunky way. and really, it was absolutely unnecessary to begin with, there is no reason you cannot install both 32bit and 64bit programs into C:\program files\ So maybe having it in that directory it messing up the installer. I know for a fact it messes up SOME installers, however, its not necessarily the cause of the Nehrim install issue.

2. windows vista and win7 have introduced very severe limitations on what programs can do to files in program files directory as a "security measure"... this is why google chrome simply says "to heck with that" and installs into your AppData directory instead.
There is a good chance that just being in there is messing it up. Windows thinks "oh my god, nehrim install is modifying program files, it must be a virus, lets block it". and it does.

Disabling UAC can also help. My brother on win7x64 could not save files from a browser (IE, firefox, or chrome) into his program files directory (he wanted to download an installer there, but afterwards we just tried to save a jpg file). He had to disable UAC before being allowed to save a file there from within a browser. So while disabling UAC helps, IIRC there are some times where things are still blocked in program files even with it off

My recommendation is that you uninstall oblivion, then install it into C:\Games\Oblivion
then install Nehrim into C:\Games\Nehrim
In fact, NEVER install a game into program files, all games should be installed into a custom directory such as <drive letter>:\Games\<game name>
S0NofaGUN
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I copied all the files that you suggested and now Nehrim runs!!! :D

However, wooden objects (crates, chests, some planks, and some tree branches) have a completely black texture. I think Qarl's texture pack will solve it, but i haven't DLed it yet
taltamir
Gauner
Gauner

I believe he missed two files.
"Data\Textures\Effects\TerrainNoise.dds" - verified via hashcalc to be same file
"Data\Shaders\shaderpackage001.sdp" - verified via hashcalc to be the same file

Some files are found in both but are different (I verified their hash is different, that means its new files created by the installer with the same name).
"Data\Oblivion - Misc.bsa"
"Data\map loop.bik"
"Data\Oblivion iv logo.bik"
"Data\OblivionIntro.bik"
"Data\Shaders\shaderpackage002.sdp" through "Data\Shaders\shaderpackage019.sdp" - verified via hashcalc to be different files.
arvisrend
QA Lead
QA Lead
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter

S0NofaGUN: There is a question (6) now, for you ;)

EDIT: taltamir: The two files you mentioned are written by the installer, NOT copied from the Oblivion folder, so no need to do anything manually here.
S0NofaGUN
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Ye, I had Qarl's Texture Pack 3. So I'm guessing the files i copied were the modified BSA files. I guess installing Qarl's on Nehrim should fix it, but I haven't tried it yet
arvisrend
QA Lead
QA Lead
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter

Yeah, BSA alteration seems to be one of the problems here.
S0NofaGUN
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

After installing Qarl's to Nehrim the wood textures are fixed. Thx for the help on the other stuff :D
taltamir
Gauner
Gauner

arvisrend hat geschrieben:
S0NofaGUN: There is a question (6) now, for you ;)

EDIT: taltamir: The two files you mentioned are written by the installer, NOT copied from the Oblivion folder, so no need to do anything manually here.
interesting. they are completely identical to the original and could be copied from it to save some space... but its unnecessarily and just adds problems for people who have this issue. So probably best to leave as is.
pickel5857
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

I'm having a problem where my computer freezes around 70% through installation. i've downloaded the file multiple times from different sources (in case the first download got interrupted or corrupted), I'm not installing it into the Program Files directory, I've got windows XP and no other programs running while it's installing.

I have no clue if this is an issue with the exe, installer, or just my computer. It's an extremely fast computer so I couldnt see processing power being an issue, but my computer has had similar problems trying to install Dragon Age: Origins.

It'd be great if there was a manual install with a zip file of the contents and a list of files that needed to be copied from Oblivion. I'm aware that the point of the exe is an easy installation, but it's not working for me and I haven't seen any similar issues in the forum. I've attempted an install 5 or 6 times and it never stalls at quite the same spot, I might get 5 more bars or 5 less.
15 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2