Can't run Nehrim past character creation

Moderator: Moderatoren

6 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Darkflow215
Bettler
Bettler

I've been at this for hours with numerous problems, I've reinstalled everything at least once including Steam, and then when I try to continue problem-solving I find I have to update. So I try to, but the problem is that the directory the games (Oblivion and Nehrim) are in is write-protected. I've been trying all day to get them to stay not write-protected but they keep reverting back no matter what I do. (Yes I have restarted my computer.) So, because the program can't modify the files, it can't update. What do I do? Nothing the internet has told me has helped, I need real people to help me. :(

That was my previous problem, I managed to fix it by killing an instance of Oblivion that was running, but now the game won't start at all.

The game runs when I run Oblivion but instantly crashes when I run it through the launcher. When running from Oblivion it lags heavily and always crashes before I can even choose my character's race. Is it just that my computer is too much of a potato to run this game? I know I lag heavily on Enderal, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Specs:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz
Video Card GeForce GT 520
Operating System Windows 7
RAM 16 GB

Let me know if you need more information
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

Your graphics card is below our recommended performance, so that the game not work with highest quality, a stable function is not guaranteed here.
Test different launcher settings, examples: 1600-1024 resolution, HDR, ENBoost or AltTabFix on or off, details and visibility set low. (Shade and grass first)
Can't run Nehrim past character creation
What did you mean, the game was started and could not be moved after character creation?
(short time after that is required to equip a torch on the inventory, see diary).
but if nothing went, I have some more text for you:

Since we cannot tell what file remnants or broken files you currently have installed, I recommend a "clean reinstall":
- first, save any possible savegames somewhere else
you can find this from Nehrim under C:\ ... \Steam\Steamapps\common\Oblivion\Saves , from Oblivion under C:\Users\ ... \Documents\my games\oblivion\Save (**)

- before uninstalling or "checking the installation with Steam" ALWAYS activate Oblivion first!
(this is important, otherwise installation will be destroyed)

- now uninstall Nehrim and then uninstall Oblivion

- delete old game folders and installation rests
>> these are the following folders:
  • C:\ ... \Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion (*)
  • C:\ ... \Steam\steamapps\common\Nehrim (*)
  • if available also C:\ ... \Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion_BACKUP (*)
  • C:\User\ ... \Documents\My Games\Oblivion (**)
  • C:\User\ ... \AppData\Local\Oblivion (**)
---

new install:
Restart Steam (or the PC) and reinstall Oblivion, start the game (do not save anything) after closing Oblivion install Nehrim,
switch it and start Nehrim
If there is an error message that files are in use, quit the affected applications or restart the PC.

Always run the game with administrator rights, that can in most cases avoid this problem.
It can happen that a write protection of the operating system or e.g. an antivirus program prevents a switch, in this case make appropriate settings.
(Folder properties / write protection and whitelist in the antivirus program,
if after closing the folder properties the write protection is displayed active again, that is a display error from Windows).

(* = where steam is installed) (** = username)
Darkflow215
Bettler
Bettler

I can't switch my game back over to Oblivion, it says that it might be running or is write protected but I don't have anything running. ANd yes I did make sure that the common folder and its contents and subfolders aren't write-protected so IDK what's going on

Also what I mean is, I can't even create my character. I try to choose the race or gender, etc, but it always crashes before I can.
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

did you do what I wrote below with clean reinstall?
or the start with administrator rights?
Darkflow215
Bettler
Bettler

you told me i had to switch over to oblivion to uninstall. i uninstalled nehrim anyways because i wanted to play oblivion.
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

if you have problems after nehrim deinstallation, just follow my instructions without nehrim installation
6 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1