Sudden Death

Moderator: Moderatoren

5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Miles to go...
Bettler
Bettler

Well, sort of...

I don't know that there is a "bug" involved, but I have two game sessions where my character was suddenly dead under circumstances when I didn't expect it.

In the first case, I was running along a sluice in the area outside the starting mine tavern when I fell off and died. Trouble is, the fall height was not significant. In fact, I went back and ran up and down the sluice, jumping off in multiple locations, both as close to where I fell off as I could remember as well as points with an apparently greater height. I survived every "fall." Well, "no biggie." I wrote it off to possibly being impaled by a stalagmite and moved on.

The second time, I was in another mine killing pit rats while looking for what needed to be done to block them from swarming. I seemed to be taking the hits without much trouble until, suddenly, I was presented with the option to load a previous save -- i.e. I had been killed. This time, I resorted to the console trying to verify that I had died and to puzzle out how. Turns out my level 2 character with 88 maximum health had -27.something health. O.K. Dead. So, I "resurrected." Well, sort of. I couldn't stand, but I was "alive" and could both kill rats with my invisible sword and cast healing spells while lying in a crumpled heap on the ground. While not ideal, it was trivial to stay "alive" killing rats while watching in third-person -- I normally play almost entirely in first-person which makes it less obvious that I have fallen to the ground dead when that happens.

So, with the long-winded background out of the way, is there some kind of "devastating" hit mechanic at play? If so, it seems pretty overpowered is some cases. Sure, people can die from low falls and perhaps even rat bites to a vital artery -- though it seems likely that healing spells or potions should be effective before bleed out leads to unconsciousness. Still, is that what might be happening? If so, is it "working as intended?"

Note, I generally play first-person RPG type games as dead-is-dead -- i.e. permadeath. Granted, that is my personal gaming psychosis and self-inflicted, but the platforming nature of Nehrim in the early going -- i.e. immortal NPC which must be evaded by learning the correct path until it can later be almost trivially killed by the "right" method -- makes this sudden death possibility even more "challenging."
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi!

that really doesn't sound intentional.
could you upload a save please? they're located in (...\Steam\steamapps\common\Oblivion\Saves)
(both the *.obse and *.ess file)
thank you :)
Miles to go...
Bettler
Bettler

Here are the last save files I had before dying...

Note: The obse file could not be uploaded without appending ".ess" to the end of the file name. Simply rename the file by stripping the ".ess" off in order get a properly named obse file.
Dateianhänge
quicksave.obse.ess
Remove the ".ess" extension for obse file.
(220 Bytes) 52-mal heruntergeladen
quicksave.ess
The ess file.
(928.67 KiB) 47-mal heruntergeladen
Miles to go...
Bettler
Bettler

So, I had this idea that my character might have died from serious head trauma while jumping under low ceilings. Well, no. However, I did play using the saves posted above and went hacking and slashing rats while casting a healing spell. No problem staying alive for quite a while. Then I got the dialog suggesting that just killing the rats was not going to do the job followed by the dialog telling me the "Z" key can be used to grab objects. After dismissing them, I was still healthy and back to killing rats...right up until one rat ran up, attacked, and my character fell to the ground dead from a single hit despite still having most of my health. So, repeatable, though maybe not trivially so. All it seems to take is time and rats...
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi, sorry for the late answer.

I played a bit on your save and everything seemed to work fine, we also never seen something like this before.
(killed rats for several minutes, completed the mine and an unrelated cave)

Nehrim doesn't have locational damage.
enemies can knock you over though.

the only things I can suggest is either starting a new game or reinstalling Nehrim.
(both after observing some more)
5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1