Problems With Audio

Moderator: Moderatoren

11 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

So, I'm new to Nehrim, and I've installed the English version. Almost everything seems to work fine, except that there are absolutely no sound effects or voices. The music is all there, and the narration during the intro was fine, but after starting the game, I only see the English subtitles when people speak, and things like walking, attacking, etc. make no sound. I wouldn't mind people speaking in German with English subtitles, but in my game they have no voice at all. I tried both hardware accelerated sound and software accelerated sound, and neither one worked. The voice level in my audio settings is all the way up. Help?
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

welcome to the forum :)

and congratulations, after searching for "Oblivion no sound" I got dozens of results
and not a single solution :?:
hm.

- you should find the oblivion.ini in ...\Documents\My Games\Oblivion;
open it and look for
bMusicEnabled=1
bSoundEnabled=1
(under [Audio], near the middle of the document)
is it both set to 1? otherwise (if the lines read "=0" change it to "=1"

- have you tried reinstalling the game?

- was Oblivion on the latest patch ( german one is 1.2.0416; not sure if yours would be the same) before installing Nehrim?

- can you play Oblivion with sound?

- you could also try reinstalling your audio card's drivers

let's hope something of that helps :)
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

Thanks a bunch! I'm not sure what exactly the problem was, but I checked the ini file, and it was all good, so I uninstalled Nehrim, then I uninstalled Oblivion. Then, I restarted my computer and reinstalled Oblivion. Then I tested Oblivion, and it worked fine, so I reinstalled Nehrim. Then I restarted my computer, ran Nehrim, and now the audio seems to be working fine. I really appreciate the help! :D
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

huh, neat
glad to hear :thumbsup:
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

So I feel like an idiot now, but I just started it up again after responding to actually play it, and now it's back to the way it was before. Should I try reinstalling it again?
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

:/

hm, something tells me that that wouldn't help in the long run :?:
what about Oblivion? is that silent now as well?

are you running the Steam version or retail?

EDIT
- do you have any Mods installed?
- where is Nehrim installed? something protected like program files(x86)?
- it could maybe also be a corrupted install file :/ in that case you'd have to download it again :?:
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

Alright, I can't make heads or tails of this. I ran Oblivion to see if the sound was working. It was. Then I ran Nehrim again to make sure the sound still wasn't working. But then, the sound did work again. So then I was thinking maybe the sound only works after I run Oblivion?

So I ran Oblivion again, and guess what? No sound. No sound in Nehrim either. I've never seen anything like this.

I am running the retail version, by the way, the one that comes with the Elder Scrolls Anthology.

Edit: No mods, not even OBSE. I have it installed in a game directory on a separate partition than my C drive, which I use for all my games.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

:shock:
(I actually like these problems, as long as they don't happen to me :P )

let's try this:

- uninstall both
- reinstall both
- run Oblivion
- set the oblivion.ini to read only
:?:
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

Good idea. I'll start on that, and get back to you when I'm done.
ShiftyJim
Bettler
Bettler

Ok, so I did all that. I uninstalled Nehrim and Oblivion, and for good measure, I re-downloaded the Nehrim installer. I reinstalled Oblivion, and I reinstalled Nehrim. I ran Oblivion (the audio was working), and then I set the oblivion.ini file to read only.

Then, I ran Nehrim. The audio worked fine. I played for about five minutes, with dialogue, weapon sounds, etc., all working fine. Then, I restarted Nehrim to see if the audio would still work. It didn't.

Do you have any more suggestions? I really appreciate the help.
11 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2