Installing Nehrim to a non Steam install of Oblivion

Moderator: Moderatoren

5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
BelGarion
Bettler
Bettler

So... My Steam copy of Oblivion has a * lot * of mods installed, graphical improvements, game play fixes, etc, etc, etc, some close to 80 mods installed. Since GoG is selling a DRM free version of Oblivion for only US $6.50 I thought, what the heck, get that and give Nehrim it's own copy and it won't bother my Steam copy of Oblivion. But on installing Nehrim it grabbed the Steam version of Oblivion. How do I make it grab the GoG version of Oblivion instead and not touch the Steam version?
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

Hello BelGarion
Nehrim on Steam requires Oblivion on Steam.
Your original Oblivion installation is not affected by the installation itself, but only moved by the switcher while Nehrim is active. (on some systems there might be problems, so your settings will be reset, but that's all that will be changed there).

A GOG version is neither used nor overwritten here, because it's a different installation location in the original.
So GOG does not work with Steam-Nehrim
BelGarion
Bettler
Bettler

I am not using the Steam version of Nehrim though, I got the .exe installer just for that reason. If the Steam version of Nehrim worked like Enderal SE then this wouldn't be a problem, but I plan on installing mods (mostly an ENB, some texture mods, and if I can figure it out, a body replacer mod). I can't afford to get NMM confused over what mods should be installed and now I have to reinstall close to 80 mods just to play Oblivion again. Or, later, when I go to play Nehrim again I have to reinstall it's mods over again, etc. If I give Nehrim it's own install of Oblivion then it can stay unchanged and I can pick it up any time, same with Oblivion. Now, as I said, I have the .exe installer, not the Steam installer, how do I get it to install and grab the GoG copy of Oblivion instead of the Steam version?
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

Hello BelGarion

I don't use GOG, so I can't tell you anything more specific. but I assume that a separate installation is possible here as well.

The DVD version of Oblivion can be made so that different installation folders also work in parallel,
where they have their own oblivion.ini and their own plugins.txt directly in the installation. (not under MyGames or AppData).
The old NehrimLauncher does that too, depending on the setting you choose.

On Steam, however, Oblivion (and thus Nehrim) must be in the Oblivion Steam folder.
Therefore, there is a switch in the Steam version of Nehrim that allows Oblivion and Nehrim to be used in parallel, even with custom mods.
The active part (Oblivion or Nehrim) is moved to the Oblivion folder after the inactive part is moved to another location.
So it is also possible to leave all mods in Oblivion and install custom mods on Nehrim.
However, the Steam version has received some patches and has therefore been significantly improved.

In both cases, the game saves can also be separated in this way.
BelGarion
Bettler
Bettler

I'm starting to think that I need to back up the Steam version, delete it, then run the exe installer, then it only will see the GoG version. Yes? Or, well, that seems to have worked. I copied the contents of the Nehrim folder that the .exe created to the GoG Oblivion folder and run Oblivion.exe, loaded right up. Now to figure out how to skip the long title sequence. * hmm * That would be an Oblivion thing so hopefully I can Google that. Thank you.
5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1