Guide how to convert Oblivion-Mods to Nehrim (Translation)

Moderator: Moderatoren

19 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
Roland Deschain
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

This is a translated guide how to convert oblivion-mods to Nehrim.
I posted this within another topic before but I guess it's worth an own topic.

<<Original poster is Asgalor, so all credits have to go to him>>

<<If anything is wrong with the description it probably is my fault, his works fine.>>

You can find the original thread here,

http://www.sureai.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=30

if you want to thank him or understand german good enough to read the original text.
(In this case I recommend his text, because my English certainly is not as good as his german)

It's quite long, so I put it in a spoiler:

[+]
This guide was written to show how I managed to convert Reznods mannequins, but it should work with most mods that mainly use scripts and/or certain items.
It won’t work for mods that either need places or NPCs from oblivion. That includes most house- or questmods.
Mods like Adash or houses in astral space might work for they completely take place in an own worldspace and just place a NPC or a door in oblivion.
Here you theoretically could just transfer these "entrance" to Nehrim, but note that I did not test that.

The following guide worked fine for Reznods Mannequins.
When trying to work with it, be aware that you do this on your own risk and do not forget to backup your saves.

What you need:

Nehrim (surprise!)

Construction set version 1.2
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/in ... uction_Set

Wyre Bash
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22368
The tool itself as well as the Wyre Python file

Tes4Edit
http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=11536

Important about Tes4Edit:

No matter where you install it, it creates a modlist based on Oblivion’s install path written in the registry. To change this to Nehrim’s install path we have to change this registry entry as described below:

WIN XP: start --> run, type regedit and press enter
Vista, Win 7: start--> type regedit in the search field and press enter.

In both cases the registry will open. Here we have to search for Oblivion’s entry.
We find it here:

Windows 7 64 Bit: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion]

Windows 7 32 Bit: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion] (in theory)

I tested the 64bit-path only, but the 32bit-path should be right, too.
If you follow that path, you will find an entry called "Installed Path". You have to change this path to Nehrim’s installation folder (e.g. d:\nehrim\).

You can close the registry once you have changed this entry and we’re ready to begin.

Copy oblivion.esm into Nehrim/data and install all needed programs into Nehrim’s main folder. The construction set always installs itself into the Oblivion-directory, so we have to copy/move it to Nehrim's folder ourselves.

Open tes4edit and choose the mod as well as the nehrim.esm.

Now you should see nehrim.esm, oblivion.esm and the chosen mod with all content in a table. Right-click the mod and choose "add masters". Choose nehrim.esm as master.

It’s getting more complex now. If you take a look at the modlist on the left side, you will see every mod is led by a two-digit number. e.g. 00 Oblivion.esm or 01 nehrim.esm
This number tells you with which number the FormID’s of this mod start. If we look at the FormID 01854E1A for example we know that this is an entry belonging to nehrim.esm. If the entries were different, as 00 nehrim.esm and 01 oblivion.esm the Form id above wouldn’t' belong to nehrim.esm, but to oblivion.esm.

Important: with every start of the program the leading two digits change depending on the mods load order into tes4edit. The entries are changed automatically, but you have to take a look at them every time to prevent writing wrong ID's by accident.

Now all non-mod-relevant entries in the list on the LEFT side that are just (changed) copies of the original game have to be removed.
With Reznods Mannequins that would be some cells that include merchants whose inventories have been changed so they sell mannequins now, for example.

You can identify those entries by looking out for the two digits that lead the oblivion.esm as well. The first time you remove an entry a message will appear asking you if you know what you’re doing. After waiting some seconds just click yes, it won’t appear again until you exit the program and start again.

Now we take a look at the remaining entries of the mod. To do so we click on the entries on the left side, and take a look at the content of it that then is shown on the right side. We do so to search for references pointing to other files' FormID’s.

As an example (from Reznods mannequins, german version) it might look like this:

HaendlerWarenLouis [CONT:001EACF8]. This is the merchants chest I put the mannequins in in Nehrim.
This entry means that the entry with the EditorID "HaendlerWarenLouis" is changed. The entry describes a container (CONT) and has the FormID 001EACF8. Because nehrim.esm is led by the numbers 00 at the moment, I know that this entry has to belong to nehrim.esm, while ReznodMannequinAbility "MannequinSpell" [SPEL:01000CE7] points to ReznodsMannequins.esp which is led by 01.

We search all entries on the right side for references and check their FormID. If they point to the mod we are willing to change or the nehrim.esm we can ignore them. Any entry that points to oblivion.esm we have to change.

Exceptions are form ids 00000007 and 00000014. These are used for the player. Don’t change them.

To change them, we first look at the original entry in the oblivion.esm. If we for example found the entry (CreatureRat [CREA:00025314]), while oblivion.esm is led by 00, we search for the editor ID (CreatureRat) or the form id (00025314) in the oblivion.esm.
We can find the FormID either in the directory "creatures" (because of CREA) or just type it into the search field on the upper side.
Once we have found the original entry, we look up what it means. In this case, it describes the rat (Surprise!).
Now that we know what it means we have to change it with an equivalent entry from Nehrim. With a bit of luck it is exactly the same, because most entries have been copied and fitted into the new system. In other cases you have to search for something similar. If you, for example, don't find a specific chest that is used in the mod you might just use a different chest from Nehrim. When doing so, you shouldn’t' use entries that belong to a quest. Entries belonging to a quest usually begin with "MQ" or "NQ". Don’t use these!

Back to our example.
After some searching we find CreatureRat "Ratte" [CREA:01025314], which is very similar to the original entry.

To change the reference we first have to copy it. To do so, just double-click on the new entry and choose copy in the new window. Once we've copied it we go back to the entry we want to change and right-click on it, then click edit. Here we paste the new entry. Once we're done with that we close the window and go back to 5. We do that until we have corrected every entry on the left side.

The difficult part is over for now. We save our work, close tes4edit (important, because the program protects the loaded data against changes by other programs while running!) and start wyre bash. It is installed in a folder called Mopy, located in the Nehrim folder.

In Wyre Bash we click on the mod and look for its master files on the right side. If you can’t see it, just resize the window. It should say that oblivion.esm is the master file. Right-click on Oblivion.esm and choose "change", select nehrim.esm as new master file. Ignore any other entries in that list. Save and close the program. (Note: in theory you can change the master file in tes4edit too by changing the header, but that doesn’t’t seem to work.)

Our mod is "Nehrim-ready" now. What it still lacks is a way to get to the desired places/objects in the game. Plugins which do not place new objects/places in the game should be fine, you can probably skip the next step for those mods.

Start the CS and choose your mod as the active file. Nothing else. If we've done everything right, the CS should load just that mod and nehrim.esm. If we've missed something, oblivion.esm will be loaded, too. In this case go back to tes4edit and search for the mistake.
If everything went fine we now can start to put objects into Nehrim that link to the mod. When finished, just load the mod with Nehrim and start playing.
If the game crashes after the mod is active we probably have missed a reference to oblivion.esm. If strange things happen in thegame or odd graphics appear this probably is because of missing files or wrong edited references.
Please correct me if I got anything wrong.

@someone who really knows what he' s doing when using the CS:
In the english version there is a file for the localization that you have to load when starting the game, do you need that file loaded in Tes4Edit when editing oblivion mods for Nehrim? If that's the case please tell me so I can correct the guide.

Roland
JOG
Stadtwache
Stadtwache
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

There is an easier way tho:

- If you changed the registry to make Tes4Edit use the Nehrim folder:
1a. Make a copy of the tiny dummy-"Nehrim.esm" in the Oblivion/Data folder,
1b. Move that copy into the Nehrim/Data folder and rename it to "Oblivion.esm" (take care not to overwrite the big Nehrim.esm in the process)

- If Tes4Edit still uses the the Oblivion folder:
1. Copy the module you want to change to the Oblivion/Data folder

2. Load the module into Tes4Edit
3. Click on "File header"
4. On the bottom of the right window select the text "Oblivion.esm" and left-click on it again once.
5. After a short delay the line becomes editable and you change it to "Nehrim.esm"
6. Close Tes4Edit and save your converted module

I don't think a localisation module is required as a master to the converted Oblivion mod, but for some mods (those that modify lights, magic effects, shaders or sounds that are already present in vanilla Oblivion) you may need NehrimData.esp as additional master.
z9dragon
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I have a question about converting a mod to nehrim. If the mod doesn't have any masters (eg. No Oblivion.esm under the masters group), is there still a way to make it work with nehrim?

The mod in question is statttis's mod "A takes all" which lets you use the A key to take all of th items in a container, just like in fallout 3. It wouldn't seem to conflict with much of anything, since it is so small, but even after adding Nehrim.esm as a master, it didn't work. I also tried putting an unedited version (one without any masters) in the nehrim folder and activating it, but that didnt work either.

For anyone who has any kind of experience with scripting, I'll post the only script the mod uses here
[+]
scriptname TakeAllScript

float fQuestDelayTime

begin MenuMode 1008

if (fQuestDelayTime == 0)
set fQuestDelayTime to 0.01
endif

if (OnKeyDown 30)
if ((GetMenuFloatValue "user8" 1008) == 2)
ClickMenuButton "#32" 1008
endif
endif

end

maybe there something wrong with it that causes it not to work, such as the menu button for "Take All" being a different number because of the different UI. I really don't have enough scripting experience to have any idea what going wrong.

P.S. I just went back to the mods page (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27638) and realized that it says it requires OBSE. Could that have anything to do with it not working, and if so, is there any way to fix it?
Chasm
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier

"A takes all" works out of the box.
Well... you obviously need OBSE. ;)
JOG
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

z9dragon hat geschrieben:
I have a question about converting a mod to nehrim. If the mod doesn't have any masters (eg. No Oblivion.esm under the masters group), is there still a way to make it work with nehrim?
A Mod without masters is already 100% compatible to Nehrim, as it obviously contains no references to the original game.
z9dragon hat geschrieben:
P.S. I just went back to the mods page (http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=27638) and realized that it says it requires OBSE. Could that have anything to do with it not working, and if so, is there any way to fix it?
As Chasm said: to use a mod that requires OBSE, you obviously need to install OBSE (http://obse.silverlock.org/)
z9dragon
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Well yes, but the point is, I ALREADY installed OBSE. It works just fine for me when I play Oblivion, what I'm not sure about is how to get OBSE working in Nehrim. OBSE uses a custom launcher ,"obse_loader.exe", that has to be used instead of the normal oblivion launcher, otherwise OBSE (and all of the mods that need it) won't work. But since nehrim uses a custom launcher too, I guess all OBSE mods are now defunct. If anyone has any more information about OBSe and Nehrim working together, I'd aprecciate it, but I guess my question was pretty silly now that I think about it.
Lisnpuppy
Krieger
Krieger

I have it all working and also have the OBSE laucher in fact launching the Nehrim game...and some OBSE mods work, those that do not (some must be converted to Nehrim firs and even then some dont work due to script issues)

Um...as I am not that good at explaining things if you wouldnt mind I can send you a PM later and some screenshots of maybe what I have installed where? The first thing you need to do (if you havent) is install the OBSE into your Nehrim Just like you did with Oblivion. I can not remember if it automatically names itself to Nehrim or if you have to rename the OBSE laucher to have Nehrim's name in it. But do that first! I will get back to you if you still need help asap!
Roland Deschain
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

If you have installed OBSE into the nehrim directory, nehrim starts with OBSE by default via the Nehrim launcher. no need to launch Nehrim via the Obse-loader.
I have mods installed that need obse to work and they work fine when I start nehrim the "normal" way with its launcher. The OBSE support of the launcher was added in a previous update, so if you use the most recent version of nehrim (what you automatically do if you are playing the English version of the game) and have obse installed correctly there is no need to use anything other than nehrims original launcher.
JOG
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

As the others wrote:

You just need to copy the three OBSE Files into the Nehrim directory. (just read the OBSE installation instructions, and replace "Oblivion" with "Nehrim")
To start Nehrim, either use the Nehrim Launcher or (when you want to start the game directly), uset obse_launcher.exe instead of the shortcut "Start Nehrim".
z9dragon
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Ah, thank you. After reading this, I did just what you said, and the mod works. Thanks for all the help, I'll have a much easier time looting things now :)
19 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2