Creation Kit and Enderal

Moderator: Moderatoren

31 Beiträge Seite 3 von 4
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 4 Mal

You should download the QuickFix, because you need to extract the SkyrimEditor.ini file from it. From my experience it's very well suited for use with the CK.

Let me know about your experiences with the batch files, as I don't yet understand why the renaming sometimes fails. Is it a Win 10 problem or have I made an error. Does it execute too fast, skipping certain comments, or what?
Screwball
Schurke
Schurke
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

Ok, I'll download it and I'll let you know how I get on.
However, I can't help with Win10 as I'm still on Win7 and unlikely to change anytime soon (unless forced into it).
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

That might still be of help. If the batch file executes without occasional renaming failures, it might mean Win10 is the problem. Otherwise I will have go over the batch file statements .
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

@Altbert
Execution prevention by Windows is not new, this has mostly something to do with rights management, whether by Windows in general, write protection or an antivirus program or certain settings. The installation location(e.g. do not install under C:\Program Files (x86)) also plays a role here, just like in rare cases a third party software.
If all rights have been checked unsuccessfully, it often helps to start as administrator.
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

21.08.2020 16:52Stefanie hat geschrieben:
@Altbert
Execution prevention by Windows is not new, this has mostly something to do with rights management, whether by Windows in general, write protection or an antivirus program or certain settings. The installation location(e.g. do not install under C:\Program Files (x86)) also plays a role here, just like in rare cases a third party software.
If all rights have been checked unsuccessfully, it often helps to start as administrator.
@Stefanie
Thanks, rights management is not my favorite part in Windows. I just tested the batch file several times and folder and ini file were renamed correctly each time, not running the file as administrator, meaning I have correctly set my user rights. Antivirus and 3rd party software are not interfering. All my games are installed under Program Files (x86).
Screwball
Schurke
Schurke

Firstly...
The ck.bat file.

Note - you're checking the existence of the folders without setting the full path to them. Potential problem?

If a shortcut is created to this file (ck.bat) (with the "Start In" set correctly) then the current directory should already be "c:\program files (x86) etc " thus removing the need for lots of editing of paths before using it. (You can then ignore my Note above)

Alternatively,

@echo off
cls
cd "c:\program files (x86) etc "

Would force the issue, remove the need for editing all the paths or even creating a shortcut for it (with the correct working directory set).

Thoughts?

Secondly...

There's no mention anywhere of having to copy any files changed during the editing session back to the real Enderal folder(s) otherwise you can't test the changes. Obviously that's up to the user but it could probably do with a mention. I can see now why the original method of doing this used symlinks - no issues updating the real files from the ones used for editing.

I'm in the middle of looking at all this for myself so I'll get back to you later re any renaming issues.
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

@Screwball:

Thanks for your suggestions! I haven't even thought about that! I will look into this and in due time I will upload a new version of the batch file with updated instructions.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Screwball
Schurke
Schurke

You're welcome :) and thanks for the "Like" :)

I've gone with the CD (at the top of ck.bat) to remove the need for editing paths. Also removed the 2 PAUSE statements as they weren't making any difference and were simply "getting in the way" (yes, I can guess why you put them there).

I've switched between EnderalFS and Skyrim multiple times, sometimes loading the CK just to check, sometimes not (purely for speed). I've not had a single rename error as yet - not that it proves anything either way. Everyone's system is different and you can get the most obscure problems which no one else can replicate. Thanks M$ :D

As for updating Enderal with any changes made in the CK, the simplest I can think of is an XCOPY (with the appropriate parameters). Does mean a destination path will be needed but need only be "..\enderal\data" if the full path is set to the skyrim folder in a CD (as at the top of (my) ck.bat).

XCOPY Data ..\Enderal\Data /S /D
append /L to those params for testing, remove for a real test.

HTH
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

I have already been working on the batch file and used your suggestion on the CD command. I have also already removed the PAUSE commands. I put those in as I thought the batch file was executed too fast for Win10, which is not the case. Works like charm: no rename failures. Failures in the past may probably have been caused by incorrect security settings (my weakest OS knowledge).

As for your other suggestion about updating Enderal, I would suggest not doing so in the way you mentioned. I keep my Enderal folders as clean as possible, that is without extracting BSA files or copying mod changes. When done editing a mod and before testing, I create a BSA file with the CK if needed and only copy ESP and BSA to Enderal's Data folder.

Only the EnderalData folder within the Skyrim folder will contain possible needed extracted BSA contents, such as scripts, meshes, textures, face gen data, etc. That way you will test your mod (ESP/BSA) in the same way as used by a subscriber to the mod. I am planning to do the same for Skyrim (which I should have done over 8 years ago). For backup purposes I create an archive with 7z and store it outside the "Program Files (x86)\Steam ..." path.

I also have started creating an instruction manual, which I could add as a PDF and/or maybe a guide in the Steam Community guides section.
Screwball
Schurke
Schurke

Fair enough, do it how it suits you best - my idea was only to keep it simple. It does depend on the type of mods you're working with. I really wanted the CK working so I could look at whether certain things were intentional or possible bugs worth reporting rather than creating mods and packaging them for distribution.
31 Beiträge Seite 3 von 4