Creation Kit and Enderal

Moderator: Moderatoren

31 Beiträge Seite 1 von 4
Davipb
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 14 Mal

The Creation Kit doesn't work by default with Enderal.
This post will teach you why and how to fix it.

Quick-Fix
"Just get it working"
  1. Uninstall the Creation Kit if you already have it installed
  2. Download and unzip the QuickFix.zip attachment
  3. Run Link.bat as an admin
  4. Install the Creation Kit via Steam
  5. Replace SkyrimEditor.ini on your Enderal folder with the one from the zip
  6. Optionally, extract the "E - Scripts.bsa" archive to your Data folder to make scripts editable
The Issue
The Creation Kit can only be executed from the steamapps\common\Steam folder. Additionally, it is hardcoded to look for Documents\My Games\Skyrim.ini and Documents\My Games\SkyrimPrefs.ini, which Enderal doesn't use.
The SKSE version that comes with Enderal doesn't support the current version of the Creation Kit, so you cannot run the CK through SKSE to use the SkyrimRedirector plugin to redirect those files.

Symbolic Links
We're going to use Symbolic Links. These are like shortcuts, but they're followed automatically by any program without any extra logic. If you make a symbolic link at My Games\Skyrim that has My Games\Enderal as a target, every file that is read or written to My Games\Skyrim will end up at My Games\Enderal instead.
Unfortunately, you can only create Symbolic Links as an admin in Windows. So, in order to run any scripts or commands that follow, make sure you're running as an Administrator.

To make a symbolic link named LinkName targeting the directory TargetDir in cmd, you can use:
Code: Alles auswählen
mklink /D "LinkName" "TargetDir"
If you're making a symbolic link named LinkName targeting the file TargetFile in cmd, you can use:
mklink "LinkName" "TargetFile"
To make a symbolic link named LinkName targeting the file or directory TargetItem in PowerShell, you can use:
New-Item -Type SymbolicLink -Path "LinkName" -Target "TargetItem"
The Solution
If you want to keep the Creation Kit at steamapps\common\Skyrim, you can just make a symbolic link at Skyrim\Data targeting the directory Enderal\Data. This works, but doesn't help with organization if you want to keep both Skyrim and Enderal installed at the same time.

So it might be better to rename your Skyrim folder, make a symbolic link at steamapps\common\Skyrim targeting the directory steamapps\common\Enderal, then copy the CK files to the Enderal folder or re-download it on Steam so that the files are copied there automatically.
This way, you can change which installation the CK will run on just by changing the "Skyrim" link to point to "Enderal" or to your actual Skyrim folder, and all files are kept in a single folder if you have just Enderal installed. This is the method used by the Quick-Fix.

Additionally, you'll have to edit your SkyrimEditor.ini to point to the right .bsa files. You can use the SkyrimEditor.ini included in the QuickFix.zip, or find the [Archive] section and add or replace the following entries:
SResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Update.bsa
SResourceArchiveList2=E - Meshes.bsa, E - Music.bsa, E - Scripts.bsa, E - Sounds.bsa, E - Textures1.bsa, E - Textures2.bsa, E - Textures3.bsa, L - Textures.bsa, L - Voices.bsa
While those are the bare minimum required to run the CK, Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini are also read by the program to apply extra options such as the 3D rendering quality. You'll have to make three links in your documents folder to redirect those: One link named My Games\Skyrim targeting the directory My Games\Enderal, one link named My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini targeting the file My Games\Enderal\Enderal.ini, and one link named My Games\Skyrim\SkyrimPrefs.ini targeting My Games\Enderal\EnderalPrefs.ini.
The directory link alone is not sufficient like the other links because the names of the files are different in this case.

Scripts Sources
If you open the CK now, you'll notice that it works, but you're unable to see any script sources. That's because the script source files in Enderal come packed in a .bsa, but the Creation Kit can only read loose files.

You'll need to use a program that can read .BSAs, such as Bethesda Archive Extractor, to open the "Data\E - Scripts.bsa" archive and extract the "scripts\source" folder from inside the .BSA to your Data folder.

When you're done, your should have a bunch of .psc files inside of the Enderal\Data\Scripts\Source directory, and the CK should show you the source code of scripts and let you edit them now.

Tutorial Changelog
24 February 2019: The script no longer relies on "_ReadPaths.bat", so this should fix issues with Right Click -> Run as Admin changing the current path to System32. Thanks OverDev for pointing this out.
Dateianhänge
QuickFix.zip
(7.21 KiB) 2472-mal heruntergeladen
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter
Danksagung erhalten: 4 Mal

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have followed your Quick-Fix and got the CK running. I just have one noob question: how do I get the CK back to where it was once I'm done modding Enderal and would like to return Skyrim?
Davipb
Bettler
Bettler

27.02.2019 22:10Aisis hat geschrieben:
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I have followed your Quick-Fix and got the CK running. I just have one noob question: how do I get the CK back to where it was once I'm done modding Enderal and would like to return Skyrim?
You can use the Unlink.bat file that comes in the QuickFix.zip
It will automatically delete the symbolic links and restore the Skyrim folder backups that Link.bat made

You may need to re-download the Creation Kit after that (if it isn't in the steamapps/Skyrim folder after unlinking)
Aisis
SureShortcut
SureShortcut
Sterndeuter
Sterndeuter

Uh-oh. :shock: I've done the uninstall and now all of my stuff from Skyrim is gone. :dead: I'm pretty sure I've done all as it should be, but it is simply an empty folder. Is there any chance go get it back or is it all gone forever?
Davipb
Bettler
Bettler

17.03.2019 13:03Aisis hat geschrieben:
Uh-oh. :shock: I've done the uninstall and now all of my stuff from Skyrim is gone. :dead: I'm pretty sure I've done all as it should be, but it is simply an empty folder. Is there any chance go get it back or is it all gone forever?
Did you accidentally run Unlink.bat twice, or maybe the unlinking failed?

Link.bat backups your folders with .SkyrimBackup, so My Games\Skyrim becomes My Games\Skyrim.SkyrimBackup and steamapps\common\Skyrim becomes steamapps\common\Skyrim.SkyrimBackup.
Unlink.bat then deletes My Games\Skyrim and steamapps\common\Skyrim and renames the .SkyrimBackup folders, removing the .SkyrimBackup suffix.

If the unlinking just failed, you should still have the .SkyrimBackup folders with your data.
If you ran Unlink.bat twice, it deleted your actual Skyrim folders thinking they were Enderal links made with Link.bat, so it's truly gone :(
MyradTamer
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

Hi,
I'm running windows 10 and when I run the link program I get an error message that says that I do not have sufficient privileges. I know I'm supposed to be running it as an admin but I don't know how to do that. Normally, I would right click->run as admin but I don't get that option with cmd. Is that the correct error? Can someone help me run CMD as an admin?

Much Appreciated!

*Edit* - I was dumb, and hadn't extracted the programs first.
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

hello Betzken
there is no official support for external tools, so we could only try to find an errors.

Were there any bugs similar to yours in the tread before and did you do everything exactly as described?
Did you get any error message?
Did you install Skyrim and Enderal under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\? (or adjusted the path)
Have you used one of the BAT files more than once?
There are currently SkyrimBackup files, as in the description?

Possibly there are alternatives, but in German
Lord_Nyaxx
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

16.02.2019 15:33Davipb hat geschrieben:
The Creation Kit doesn't work by default with Enderal.
This post will teach you why and how to fix it.

Quick-Fix
"Just get it working"
  1. Uninstall the Creation Kit if you already have it installed
  2. Download and unzip the QuickFix.zip attachment
  3. Run Link.bat as an admin
  4. Install the Creation Kit via Steam
  5. Replace SkyrimEditor.ini on your Enderal folder with the one from the zip
  6. Optionally, extract the "E - Scripts.bsa" archive to your Data folder to make scripts editable
Followed these steps but Creation Kit load but always stay in "not responding" Any ideas what's the issue?
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 425 Mal

Unfortunately I can't see what's going on on your PC or if it's a false configration.

Where does the program crash, at startup or immediately afterwards? (e.g. when opening a master file)
Then these are often configuration errors, e.g. not the BSA files under Data, which are noted in the SkyrimEditor.ini.

After running the link.bat, did you find the enderal files under ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim?
If not, then the tool is incorrectly configured for your installation path

Have you otherwise looked at the alternative methods I've written?

There are too many possible causes here, which come into question in case of incorrect handling or rare installation locations,
then technical background knowledge is important for the user for this.
Altbert
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Recently I have found an easier and safer method , which I have described in the Enderal Guides section on Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2136434669.

This concerns copying the Enderal Data folder and the SkyrimEditor.ini to the main Skyrim folder, after renaming these to EnderalData and EnderalEditor.ini. The guide describes the first setup inside the main Skyrim folder and provides a batch file for fast switching between using the Creation Kit for Skyrim or Enderal. No need to uninstall en re-install the CK, no chance to loose your Skyrim installation, and no linking or unlinking. When executing the batch file, it will detect which CK setup is used and switch to the other setup by renaming files and folders.

No hassle and works like a charm!
31 Beiträge Seite 1 von 4