Disabled players and quests like Cuthbert's Legacy

Moderator: Moderatoren

5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Alassirana
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Now, to begin with, I have visual issues that both make it very difficult for me to see in darkened areas (which also makes shifting to brighter ones outright blinding, but that's another issue), and make it difficult to read a lot of text, or see 'fine differences'. Most of that can be worked around, however, the particular quest in question is more or less impossible. In order to complete it, I'd had to go in and cheat my way past the section of following the pig's glow, because I flat out could not identify it in much of the terrain. I managed to get about as far as just past the ship at the docks before I could not get any further, and I'd tried multiple times to find a way past it. I imagine, honestly, that someone who is colorblind would have an even worse problem.

The reason I'm making this clear, however, is that I know that I'm far from the only disabled person who enjoys games like skyrim. Indeed, many of my friends over the years are disabled, and several have been heavy in the modding community over several games in the TES franchise. So, really, my pointing out that some quests are outright impossible to complete without cheating if you have certain impairments is not a 'weak snowflake' as several americans might think (yes, I'm from America, but I can't stand much of what I've seen our society). I'm pointing out that this is, in many cases, the *only* way some people have to have any kind of entertainment, and to have a physical handicap 'gateway' preventing full enjoyment is more than a touch troubling.

Please, in the future, when coming up with difficult quests, consider that not everyone is working with the same limitations that you are. Offer another way of completing the quest fairly, if possible, because it leaves us feeling like we have no worth at all to be excluded from things we enjoy, merely because our bodies and brains function differently.

(Again, the thing that made this outright impossible was that I could not make out the colored swirls for more than a few castings, at any given time. Between the groundcover and the lack of intensity to the swirl-color, it was, in effect, invisible to me, even when cast properly--though that last took me a little while to figure out.)

Otherwise, thank you for the game. Though I'd had to cheese this one quest, I did get all of my achievements finally. And it's a good story, one that I've been suggesting to others. Now I get the struggle with Nehrim, which is a touch more 'glitchier'.

Alassirana
Alassirana
Bettler
Bettler

Just prior to falling asleep (I'm nocturnal), I did figure out what would potentially be an easy way to make this quest doable for someone with visual issues. As I know, from my own experience, that my hearing is more of a targeting sense than visual, perhaps adding a sound-effect to each of those bursts of light? My best suggestion, honestly, is to use the wispmother sound. While a pig grunting would also work, it might not work as well through some of that terrain, whereas the wispmother sound would be distinct, and would give you the sense that you were, indeed following magic.

So, hopefully that will make this an easy fix for someone who's skilled in this.

Alassirana
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 525 Mal

Hello nocturnal Alassirana :)

Thank you for the detailed description of your problem. Which, of course, non-affected people can only understand to a limited extent.

An indie team as small as SureAI cannot always think of all these aspects.
The same applies to the community project Enderal SE (which is basically a single developer who gets some help).

As you said yourself, such help would have to come from the modding community (for example, like there is in various games for people with arachnophobia).

I don't know who would like to do something like that.

Regardless, if you want to play the Steam version of Nehrim now, I highly recommend the Unofficial Nehrim Fixes by JustChill (he works with SureAI).
But you should definitely start a new game after installation.
Alassirana
Bettler
Bettler

I understand that. My own skill with the creation kit is nearly non-existent, if only because, among other things, I'm aphantastic, which means that I have a much harder time figuring out what something even can look like, much less should look like. So, honestly, I'm having to leave that information out here for others to work on. (Aphantasia means a lack of the ability to envision things, or even remember things in a visual format. For the most part, my own mind effectively translates to something like vector graphics code, though I have an extremely good memory even with this. But it means that anything where I have to create visuals is not going to be my thing.)

On nehrim, I'm doing reasonably well, most of my problems are regular ctd's, which is not uncommon in normal oblivion, either. Still, it's more a case of patience with bugs, and knowing how to console fix things where absolutely necessary--the biggest case for that being things like dream-sequences having most of the 'land' in them not there, and thus, having to skip that sequence itself...) But thank you for looking at the issue. both storylines, (counting as far as I've gotten in nehrim as one) are things I think a lot more people should see.
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 525 Mal

Do you know the Discord servers of SureAI or Enderal SE? There are also modding channels there. If you feel like it, take a look.
5 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1