Can't start a new game on SE - have tried common fixes 

Moderator: Moderatoren

7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
Pontifex1666
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Hi all,

I'm currently unable to start a new game of Enderal SE and have tried many common fixes I've found online.

I have a fresh install of the Steam version of Enderal SE on a fresh Steam Skyrim SE version. I have verified caches and un/reinstalled both games at least twice.

The problem is whenever I try to start a new game (as I have no current save) is that after selecting "yes" for the "Explore Enderal?" prompt, all menu options disappear but no actual game ever loads. I'm still able to control the mouse, but despite leaving the app to run for a few hours, nothing happens. Curiously, on my very first install before reinstalls, I was presented with the message "If he betrays us, I'll kill him" instead of "Explore Enderal?". This changed after reinstalling.

As mentioned, I've tried verifying caches and reinstalling both programmes with no luck. I've also tried the most common fixes seen through my googling, which is to delete the config files in the MyGames folder (no luck), and to copy in the _default config files into that folder and remove the suffix (again no luck).

I haven't found any other fixes which work for me, so would appreciate some help if anyone does have ideas! Other info which might help:

- Skyrim runs fine whenever I launch it
- Both Skyrim and Enderal are SE and unmodded
- I'm running what I think is the 2.0.11 Steam Enderal SE version (but not sure how to 100% check)
- Have tried running the SKSE launcher from the Enderal folder as Administrator
- I'm running the English version
- Both games are installed to a secondary HDD (:D) rather than my primary SSD where core files and the Steam app is located (:C)

Any help (or requests for additional info) welcome, thanks!
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 525 Mal

Welcome to the forum :)

First, thank you for your detailed description :thumbsup:

Start the following three files as admin: Enderal Launcher.exe, SkyrimSE.exe and skse64_loader.exe (in the Enderal SE main folder).

I hope this already solves the problem (by the way: Sykrim SE does not need to be installed. You only need to own Skyrim SE on Steam).
Pontifex1666
Bettler
Bettler

Thanks! I never noticed that you didn't have to have Skyrim SE installed, only owned.

I've tried starting all three .exe files as administrator and unfortunately that hasn't worked either!

Might instead try installing the non-Steam version from Nexus on top of Skyrim as nothing seems to be working for this.
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

Have you checked if your anti-virus program is blocking any of Enderal's exe files? Whitelist them.

And please send us here your Launcher.log (as file attachment). You can find it in Enderal SE folder under ...\EnderalLauncher\System\log\.
Pontifex1666
Bettler
Bettler

Have double checked and Windows Defender (my only anti-virus) doesn't have any restrictions on Enderal from what I can see - manually whitelisted the Enderal installation folder and no result.

Have attached my log - problem seems to be that it's not registering the full installation or SKSE. Tried to verify the integrity of game files and it redownloaded one file, but still encountering the same problem.

Seems weird as both the launcher and SKSE .exes allow me to open the game and select "start new game", but something must be wrong with the installation?
Dateianhänge
Launcher.log
Most recent log version
(73.07 KiB) 114-mal heruntergeladen
Kermit 61
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

Your log seems to be okay!

Have you ever restarted the PC/Steam completely after your changes (as said Skyrim SE does not need to be installed because these are different folders if you want to have both games installed)?

If that doesn't work either, try a clean install of Enderal SE:

Uninstall Enderal Special Edition and manually delete these remaining folders

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Enderal Special Edition
C:\user\"username"\AppData\Local\Enderal Special Edition
C:\user\"username"\Documents\my games\Enderal Special Edition

Then restart Steam / the PC and reinstall Enderal Special Edition.

Run the three exe files again as administrator.

Disable the write protection that Windows may have set on the folders (right-click on folder -> Properties -> uncheck "read-only")
Pontifex1666
Bettler
Bettler

Thanks - I tried it a couple of times, didn't work first time round but a second wipe and install has! Really appreciate your help.
7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1