Bug report: Cannot continue quest The Sole Place after the quest appeared (workaround found)

Moderator: Moderatoren

4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
merusal
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Category;: Quest
Reproducible: Random
Severity: Serious
Priority: Normal
Version: English

Note: I think that this incident may be hard to debug based on the savegames, as
a. one crucial savegame status was never saved, and
b. the quest appeared out of the blue, without any obvious trigger.
Just ignore this report, or close the ticket, if that is the case. A workaround is documented below, in case this ever happens to another user.

This is a copy of the bug report on Steam:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/933480/d ... 688643684/

Subject: Cannot continue quest The Sole Place after the quest appeared (workaround found)

Please see attached savegames:
savegames_enderal: A container with the three savegames described here:
savegame-before-quest_enderal: This is the situation described below at point (1).
savehgame-after-quest-progressed-a-bit_enderal: This is the situation described below at point (2).
I am sorry, unfortunately I do not have a savegame of the state where I just received the quest message.
SAVEGAME-CURRENT_enderal: This is the current character status. Note that the quest The Sole PLace has not changed since (2).

Report text:
No mods installed.
Playing on Steam.
Which version am I playing? Not sure - it does not show in the start screen. As the last patch is logged on Steam as being 1.5.7.0, I assume it is that.
I assume that the startup for quest The Sole Place was changed, and now does not work under certain conditions. The sureai wiki still documents the quest as starting by passing NPC Meogar Ironford, and hearing his complaints.

My quest started differently:
The quest The Sole Place started without me doing anything but waiting for Golfur Silverlord for a few in-game hours (I kept the game running while not being at the keyboard) to open his shop (1). I got a message that I had found a lute. (No savegame of this state available.) Sorry, I do not remember if that was just before Golfur Silverlord arrived at his shop, or before I bought stuff from him and sold to him, or after.
My current quest instructions read BOTH "Learn the reason for Meogar Ironford's bad temper" AND "Find the owner of Bella Ironford's loot". The quest marker hangs above Meogar Ironford's head. Both quest steps are open (empty diamond marker).
When I try to talk to Meogar Ironford, he just says "Hm?" and goes back to hammering a flat piece of metal. He does not speak any other text, even if I stand beside him for a time. (No savegame available.)
Please note that although the quest start message told be that I had found a lute (while being in the Market), there is no quest object "lute" in my inventory under the "Other" category, where I can find the other current quest objects.

What I tried to fix the problem, none of the attempts resulting in any changes in Meogar Ironford's dialog behavior: Enter and exit his house. Exit and enter the Foreign Quarter. Save and load the game.

What I tried as a workaround:
I looked at Golfur Silverlord's sales inventory, and he does have the item "Ironford's Lute" to sell. So, I bought it from him. This did NOT result in a quest state change message, BUT Meogar Ironford now reacted to my communication attempt, and I could "Show Bella Ironforth's lute" (note the typo in her last name, but I guess that has no effect on the quest stage).
So, I gave the lute I bought to him, and after the conversation, the quest step "Find the owner of Bella Ironford's loot" was marked as done. Plus, an additional step had appeared in the quest log, "Bring the lute to Meogar", and it was marked as done, after the conversation with him.
But I noticed that quest step "Learn the reason for Meogar Ironford's bad temper" is still open.
Still, the quest progressed, and now sends me to the library and the cave, as expected. So, the workaround seems to have worked, but other players might be stuck on the first step of the quest.
I went to the library, but not yet to the cave. (2)
Another thing I noticed: The quest marker above Golfur Silverlord's head stays there, although he is not the recipient of a current quest step.

Reproduction steps:
Not sure if this is reproducible, as the quest popped up without me doing anything but standing in the Ark Market Square.
Dateianhänge
savegames_enderal.rar
(3.6 MiB) 32-mal heruntergeladen
Zuletzt geändert von merusal am 17.08.2019 10:48, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi, welcome to the forum :)

please attach (if possible) manual savegames (no auto- or quicksave). one from before receiving the quest, one after the bug appeared,
and the recent one.
they're found in (...\Documents\My Games\Enderal)
we'll need the *.ess and the *.skse file; pack both to a zip/rar/whatever archive,
(the forum doesn't accept *.skse)
thank you :)
merusal
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Heya urst,

I attached the savegames you requested to my original post.

I think that this incident may be hard to debug based on the savegames, as
a. one crucial savegame status was never saved, and
b. the quest appeared out of the blue, without any obvious trigger.
Just ignore this report, or close the ticket, if that is the case. A workaround is documented below, in case this ever happens to another user.

Cheers
merusal
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi :)

not sure if this can be fixed, but thank you in any case for the saves and the workaround :thumbsup:
4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1