Performance loss after game files update

Moderator: Moderatoren

4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
tequilacat
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

Hello

I played this excellent game for 2 months, the play was quite comfortable on highest settings on my hardware.
About 15 May I could not start the game with desktop shortcut, the message was "could not find scripts" or so. Indeed a crucial exe file (skse_loader.exe as I remember) was missing in Skyrim folder. I repaired the Enderal application via Steam, it repaired 3 or 4 files.

Since then I have 2 differences:

1) the performance decreased - sometimes it jerks, otherwise it's just a bit slower
2) now I can easily switch to game from desktop - before the update it took several chaotic Esc presses and mouse clicks after Alt-Tab to return to game from desktop, now it just switches to game properly. Great! but not at price of performance loss.

The window mode is "Exclusive fullscreen" as before, the graphic quality is "Ultra" - as before.

I guess the update had changed some performance settings but I don't know which ones :) I see OneTweak setting is activated (which promises easy tab out of the game), I deactivated it but it did not help performance.

I am trying to figure out how to fix that, and how to properly ask for help. So far the question is -

Was there some update/patch that really affected performance/AltTab?
or there was some OS/antivirus related issue that killed some files including settings, so game files were restored and settings were not.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

hi, welcome to the forum :)

the last update didn't include anything to affect performance in any negative way,
there will be a new update soon which may further improve it.

the fullscreen option should be performance friendlier,
it shouldn't have a huge impact though.
do you have ENBoost, OneTweak and OSAllocators activated? (esp the first one might make a huge difference)
it's generally not advised to set all settings to "ultra" - you won't reach a stable 60fps with that, no matter where.
also, stupid question, want to check it regardles - maybe you played on a slightly lower resolution before?

do you have the same decreased performance on earlier saves?
if not there's something different going on - can you narrow down when that performance loss started appearing?
(there might be something off with your save / a script / something)
or you might be in a performance heavier area.

another thing:
apparently there's a difference in "executing the game from the game folder" vs "desktop shortcut" vs "launching via steam".
please don't ask me for details, and no idea if it affects performance, but the latter is advised.

hope that is somewhat helpful :)
tequilacat
Grünschnabel
Grünschnabel

Hi,

Thanks for such extensive reply and your "hilf bereit"!

Indeed recently I started using desktop shortcut, and before that I used to launch via Steam. But I sometimes launched the game with desktop shortcut before and I used steam launcher recently, it didn't matter.

Anyway - I have started the game via Steam - Wow! Cool! Fast as before.
Then I started via desktop shortcut. Wow! WTF! Same good performance, no problems.
Restarted several times both ways - still no problems (except return of good old problem switching back from desktop to game). Confusing :) As a programmer I hate such kind of bugs

I have measured FPS, in northern mountains and in dungeons I now have 60 FPS, the Farmer's coast with its rich vegetation drops it to 25-35. The resolution is same as before (I am almost sure :) ), all 3 performance options checked (as before).

My guess - for several days the computer was busy with some background activity that wasn't reported by task manager (it showed no CPU load) or the videocard drivers misbehaved. I have antivirus, it gave no warnings. May be ongoing Windows updates were the reason.

I can't help but remember my favorite "Burn after reading" quote here -
What do we learn? - I don't know sir. - I don't f'g know either. - I guess we learned, not to do it again. - Yes sir. - I'm f'kd if I know what we did.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

well did you try turning it off and on again? :mrgreen:

you're welcome,
good to know that it solved itself (somehow?) (better keep an eye on it though)
4 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1