Sinistrope - meaning of this word

Moderator: Moderatoren

11 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
my_summertime
Krieger
Krieger

Hi.
We're working on polish translation of Enderal, and I'm wondering how do you understand this word. Where is it come from? I couldn't find any translation.
Can you help me?
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 20 Mal

my_summertime hat geschrieben:
Hi.
We're working on polish translation of Enderal, and I'm wondering how do you understand this word. Where is it come from? I couldn't find any translation.
Can you help me?
It's a composite. See below.

Word:

Sinister
prompted by malice or ill-will, intending to mislead

Suffix:

-trope
(sciences) something that turns, affects, changes, responses, moves.

So it would be "One who affects through evil", now you can translate it into the closest in Polish 8)
Nicolas Samuel
Writer
Writer
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 682 Mal

Yep, pretty much that. Also note that "Sinistra" is a magic school in Enderal, the practice of which is forbidden in every continent of Qyra. It accesses eventualities that affect the forces of life and death (Entropy) and other people's minds (Psionic).
ninjamelody
Schwertmeister
Schwertmeister
Danksagung erhalten: 7 Mal

I like the magic school names in Enderal. But isn't it a bit weird that when I think of Sinistrope, I think of Sinistrope master Yuslan Sha'Rim who is from Qyra, which pretty much forbids Sinistrope...
Nicolas Samuel
Writer
Writer
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 682 Mal

Oh, my bad. I meant to say, it's forbidden in every continent except for Qyra. And, possibly, Melee or the Skarrag Isles, even though they don't belong to the Civilized World and thus have different rules to begin with.
ninjamelody
Schwertmeister
Schwertmeister
Danksagung erhalten: 7 Mal

Okay, that makes sense and fits what I've learnt from the game.
Braescher
Schurke
Schurke
Danksagung erhalten: 5 Mal

I don't speak polish. However we can kinda build the word using similar ones. Google told me that for instance "filantrope" in polish is "filantrop". The "trope" in the ending of sinistrope is the same suffix meaning as filantrope. "Sinister", that would translate quite accurately the "Sinistra" school is "złowrogi" (once again as google told me). The way I see it, either you go with With złowrogitrop and translate the school of Sinistra to school of złowrogi or you keep Sinistra word untouched, since Sinistra is not english or german, it actually sounds latin and call the Sinistrope, Sinistrop.
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Braescher hat geschrieben:
I don't speak polish. However we can kinda build the word using similar ones. Google told me that for instance "filantrope" in polish is "filantrop". The "trope" in the ending of sinistrope is the same suffix meaning as filantrope. "Sinister", that would translate quite accurately the "Sinistra" school is "złowrogi" (once again as google told me). The way I see it, either you go with With złowrogitrop and translate the school of Sinistra to school of złowrogi or you keep Sinistra word untouched, since Sinistra is not english or german, it actually sounds latin and call the Sinistrope, Sinistrop.
But note that the -trope suffix in Sinistrope is not related to philanthropist, whose suffix -thrope comes from anthropos (man in Greek).

Therefore, the suffix being spelled -trope can only refer to:

-trope
suffix meaning "influencing or influenced by": (ex: gonadotrope, heliotrope, rheotrope)

:wink:
Braescher
Schurke
Schurke
Danksagung erhalten: 5 Mal

Ragnarok hat geschrieben:
But note that the -trope suffix in Sinistrope is not related to philanthropist, whose suffix -thrope comes from anthropos (man in Greek).

-trope
suffix meaning "influencing or influenced by": (ex: gonadotrope, heliotrope, rheotrope)

That might be a translation problem or interpretation issue from my language which is portuguese. The way I see it Sinistrope is one that practices the school of Sinistra. The sinistrope is the man that does the sinister art. And the focus is on the man and not on what he does. So Anthropos would fit better. But then again Enderal was created in the German language and I am thinking with my latin language brain.

In any case, the words with the "trope" suffix google also translates to trop in polish. Heliotrope becomes heliotrop and I think this is a word that should be translated with moderation. In portuguese or spanish for example it would remain Sinistropo, sharing the same suffix as both examples since "flianthrope" is "filantropo" and "heliotrope" is "heliotropo". Correct me if I am wrong (once again thinking on portuguese) but the "trope" suffix would better fit if the word was "Sinistropic" or maybe "Sinistropist"(?). I don't know how it is in the original german version but since is so tied to the lore I think it should remain as close as possible to the original word.

I am clearly overthinking about a translataion of a language that I do not speak. But at least we gave my_summertime a lot of material to work on lol.
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Ragnarok hat geschrieben:

-trope

That might be a translation problem or interpretation issue from my language which is portuguese. The way I see it Sinistrope is one that practices the school of Sinistra. The sinistrope is the man that does the sinister art. And the focus is on the man and not on what he does. So Anthropos would fit better. But then again Enderal was created in the German language and I am thinking with my latin language brain.

In any case, the words with the "trope" suffix google also translates to trop in polish. Heliotrope becomes heliotrop and I think this is a word that should be translated with moderation. In portuguese or spanish for example it would remain Sinistropo, sharing the same suffix as both examples since "flianthrope" is "filantropo" and "heliotrope" is "heliotropo". Correct me if I am wrong (once again thinking on portuguese) but the "trope" suffix would better fit if the word was "Sinistropic" or maybe "Sinistropist"(?). I don't know how it is in the original german version but since is so tied to the lore I think it should remain as close as possible to the original word.

I am clearly overthinking about a translataion of a language that I do not speak. But at least we gave my_summertime a lot of material to work on lol.
Portuguese is also my native language 8) You are right, for Portuguese, it would be easier to think of that suffix as related to anthropos.

However, the translation of philanthropist to German, according to Google is philanthrop, so since they are using -trope instead of -thrope is pointing towards the "affects or is affected by" meaning rather than the one for anthropos.

However, nothing like one of the developers to shed some light on it. :)
11 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2