No data files present, problems with installation 

Moderator: Moderatoren

15 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
Ricaaado
Bettler
Bettler

Alright, so I recently decided to get back into Nehrim and Enderal. Anyway, onto the main topic, I can't get either one of them to install properly. I had an issue with Nehrim at first since I wasn't installing it properly, but after uninstalling it I actually read through the readme, installed it as it should be, but it failed to install properly. I did the same for Enderal, except paid attention to the instructions from the start. It installed "successfully", I updated it, then when I checked the data files it was empty. I tried to start up the game, but after clicking "new game" it loaded for a few seconds before crashing. The data files are missing, and with every single reinstall, they remained missing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Skyrim, then Enderal, but still without success. I have a feeling it has to do with Windows 10 and its stringent security, but even after running everything as admin or in compatibility mode, or even checking/unchecking read-only this, that, the other, etc, nothing works. The last time I played either of these mods was around release for both, and I was running Windows 7 then (which didn't jerk me around when it came to file security.) I don't know what else could be messing things up.

I'm sorry for making a whole new thread on this, as there are probably dozens of other threads exactly like this one.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

welcome to the forum :)

both games not working ist odd :?:
01.09.2018 18:46Ricaaado hat geschrieben:
The last time I played either of these mods was around release for both,
and I was running Windows 7 then (which didn't jerk me around when it came to file security.)
I don't know what else could be messing things up.

are you still using the same files you downloaded back then?
(if it once worked with that download we can rule out "corrupted files" :) )

for Enderal:
could you upload the launcher.log please? it's located in ...\Skyrim\Enderallauncher\system\log

as for Nehrim:
- are you using the Steam or retail version of Oblivion?
- if you didn't install the addons (they aren't necessary) you probably need to install the latest patch manually.
- where did you install it? paths like C:\Program Files (x86)\... are generally advised against.
(same for Enderal, but the installation path is written in the log anyway ;) )
Ricaaado
Bettler
Bettler

I'm using the steam version of Oblivion GOTY. I thought the steam version had the latest update already installed? As for the files, I used the torrent for Enderal, and the link from sureai/ModDB for Nehrim. For the log, do I just copy/paste it all here? Both Oblivion and Skyrim are installed in E:\Steam\steamapps\common

Okay, so I downloaded the patch and attempted to update, but I keep getting the error "Missing or invalid registry/ini entry".
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

there is an option to attach files if you use the full "answering - option" (?) at a post,
please use that :)

Nehrim:
hm, I suppose the latest update should be included with the Steam version :/
(I use retail)
(and win10 without problems)
Ricaaado
Bettler
Bettler

Okay, I've got the Enderal log right here.

About the patch, after getting that invalid registry prompt, I also get "Old File does not exist" three times before it closes.
Dateianhänge
Launcher.log
Enderal launcher log
(135.48 KiB) 101-mal heruntergeladen
Eledwen
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 72 Mal

Hi! :)

What exactly do you mean, when you say that the games do not install properly? You have explained the issue with Enderal, but what exactly is going on with your Nehrim installation?

For Enderal, you say that the game files are missing - I had a similar issue once, because the launcher was letting me know too soon that the installation was complete, although it wasn't. I did receive an error with updates as well, when that happened. If this applies to you as well, I would recommend uninstalling Skyrim, deleting the folder manually, re-installing base Skyrim into a clean folder, testing Skyrim and then giving the launcher a lot of time to finish its task - do not minimise it, do not touch it, just let it run for ca. 30-60 Min without doing anything. That was what worked for me, for whatever reason...

A slightly different approach – do the base games (oblivion, Skyrim) run without any issues? Since both mods do not work, it begs the question if there is something wrong with the base installation / steam itself… In the same vein - do other Steam games work fine?

Both SureAI mods work just fine on Win10, usually. So I would not point the finger there...
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

did you deaktivate automatic updates for Oblivion?
these would interfere with Nehrim :?:

do you have any other games on Steam with any sort of issues?

edit:
E:\ is an actual internal harddrive, yes?
not some external one?
Ricaaado
Bettler
Bettler

Oh, sorry! I forgot to mention that and Nehrim. Both Skyrim and Oblivion launch just fine, I can start a new game in both without coming across any issues. As for Nehrim I took the same approach as with Enderal, I followed the instructions and installed it accordingly. However, after clicking Launch it just crashes.

Thought I'd reinstall Enderal and give it that grace period you mentioned between it "finishing" the installation and actually possibly being finished installing. Checked the data files, and the .esm/.esps are still missing. I'm currently updating the game to see if that helps. I'll give Nehrim a double check once that's completed. To answer those questions, yes it's installed on an internal drive (I have 2 drives, C and E, both are internal). Also no, I don't know how to deactivate automatic updating for Oblivion on steam. Thirdly, the only other steam game with issues is L4D2, it doesn't start at all, but I'm sure that's a completely different issue altogether.

Enderal is reinstalled and the same issue persists. I can start up the game, click new game, it lasts for a few seconds before crashing. Time to test Nehrim then.

Update: My Oblivion GOTY is already up-to-date, being at version 1.2.0416. Nehrim is reinstalled and I can't currently update it as the servers appear to be down. Would it be possible to just download any updates without needing the installer?

Update 2: Alright, I can only assume I was incorrectly trying to install Nehrim the entire time. So I decided to reinstall it and overwrite the Oblivion files with all of the Nehrim files and it works! Not sure if I'll need to update, but the game actually works now! So now I'm wondering if I've been doing the same wrong thing with Enderal. However I'm not really sure if that's the case, considering what's already happened.
Stefanie
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 426 Mal

Sorry, my English is not the best, please ask again if necessary.

After the Enderal installation, please do not start the Enderal lancher in C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Downloads\, but (e.g. via a link to the Destop) in the game path.
In such cases, please start the launcher as admin and check if other programs such as your firewall or an antivirus program do not disturb.

I would suggest a clean reinstallation in your case, even if it takes some time.
(Enderal, have you already uninstalled it? If not, please do it)

Clean new installation: (please read with attention)
- copy existing savegames to other locations and also the installation-file of Enderal
You'll find the saves in: C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves
- Uninstall Enderal with the launcher and then uninstall Skyrim.
- Then delete the following directories manually. (these are old data remnants of the installation).
E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (your installation path)
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ (game settings and saves of Skyrim and/or Enderal)
C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\skyrim\ (your current mod settings,
Note: this may be a hidden folder)

The same 3 folders are also important when backup your data.This may save you a lot of time later, if you have enough space.
-----
New installation:
(start as administrator if possible and may temporarily deactivate anti-virus programs or other disturbing background applications)
- To do this, create a folder (such as C:\Games, i.e., no existing Windows system folders),
- Then reinstall Skyrim there, update and start the game briefly (do not save), then install Enderal, update again and start Enderal via the Enderal-launcher.
(Manually remove any write protection of the relevant folders via Properties, with subdirectories)

Then make settings . The short starts are for testing and creating the default settings.

Leave out any mods for now!

If problems still arise afterwards, you may have other problems, but that would have to be solved here later.

Problems with Nehrim may be solved better in the separate Tread?
A lot has already been written about this, under Nehrim and Steam.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

01.09.2018 21:17Ricaaado hat geschrieben:
Update: My Oblivion GOTY is already up-to-date, being at version 1.2.0416. Nehrim is reinstalled and I can't currently update it as the servers appear to be down. Would it be possible to just download any updates without needing the installer?

Update 2: Alright, I can only assume I was incorrectly trying to install Nehrim the entire time. So I decided to reinstall it and overwrite the Oblivion files with all of the Nehrim files and it works! Not sure if I'll need to update, but the game actually works now! So now I'm wondering if I've been doing the same wrong thing with Enderal. However I'm not really sure if that's the case, considering what's already happened.
good to know at least that works :thumbsup:

I just realize that it's no longer possible to completely disable automatic updates on Steam games ( :x )
honestly, I have NO idea how dangerous this actually is for your Nehrim installation :/
you can only change when the game updates via right click on the game -> properties -> updates.
(here is a list of workarounds)

hope it works anyways :)
15 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2