Strange crash when opening map & randomly

Moderator: Moderatoren

13 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
dav
Bettler
Bettler

Hey,

Really loving the mod so far, but i'm having a strange crash situation.

It seems to mostly happen when opening / closing the map but also happens occasionally at random points.

It doesn't crash to desktop but instead makes my monitor get no signal and makes a system noise like it's going into sleep mode or something... I'm forced to restart my PC with its power button every time.

I've done all the usual clean installs and double checked for mods and all that but I may have missed something. I've tried most of the results of google searches relating to crashes when opening map but none have helped.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

welcome to the forum :)

hm, that would be a new bug :/ (congrats :D ?)

- does that only happen with Enderal?

- could it be that you PC just gets really hot and shuts down for that reason?
(in that case opening the case and cleaning everything would probably already help)

- could it be some hardware defect?

- did you do a Virus/Malware scan?
those could cause this sudden narcolepsy, although the map key as trigger would be strangely specific :/

otherwise, please upload a savegame; found in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\saves
we'll need the ess and the skse of a manual save (no quick-/autosave)
dav
Bettler
Bettler

Hi!

A new bug eh? Well how about that! haha

Also, it doesn't happen EVERY time I open or close the map, I'd say it's 1/3 of the time. Mostly on closing the map. But it also happens just randomly exploring.

It only happens with Enderal, I play a lot (some could say too many) other games and everything is fine. It didn't even happen with my somewhat ruthlessly modded Skyrim I was using a few months back.

As for hardware defect I'm not sure, My PC does sometimes have a tendency to boot asking me to diagnose problems but it never results in any changes (just says it can't find the problem and then boots normally). Sorry I can't quite remember the exact wording right now I'll make a note of it later on.

Its been like this for around 18 months with no negative side effects. I use my PC for both sound design work and gaming and its not had any issues resulting from the mysterious boot screen... (until now?)

I've done a virus scan and we're all good there.

I've also cleaned my hardware within the last few weeks. I'll give it another once over tomorrow just to be sure.

Here's the save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0cyar5mphnw ... 9qTwa?dl=0

I do have 3 .esp's activated (Myths and Legends Improved, Crafting Book Curve and Enderal Fast Travel EV)

I had this problem from the very start of Enderal way before I added additional .esps (First noticed it just after the two apothecaries at the beginning) and I've tried new games with and without each mod in different combinations and the same problem happens with the same frequency regardless, which is interesting.

The bug is not "game breaking" traditionally, but it results in me not being able to play as obviously the PC shutting down is more than a bit of an inconvenience.

Thank you for the help, I'm sure the fix is probably going to be something really minor after all this haha!
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

I think only the game would crash with that specific bug,
but could it be possible that this happens exactly every fifteen minutes? (please say no, I swear, that effing thing haunts me)

in that case
- open your taskmanager with more details
- look for the service tabtip.exe or TabletInputService (or something like that - it's a service your tablet uses)
- right-click and stop (/halt? pause?) it
that might solve it.

I'll take a look at your save, let's see if that happens here as well :)

also, as suggested by Kermit61, who doesn't trust his english skills:
are your graphic card's drivers up to date?

EDIT
so, I tried your save for some minutes (which doesn't really have to mean anything), until I died
(and now I remember every single of the reasons why I don't do melee :mrgreen: )

I killed the map key a bit without any oddities though,
so I'd guess it's pretty save to say that there's no actual correlation between that and the PC shutting down :/
stuemper
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 1240 Mal

Did you manipulate the .inis (e.g. set UGridsToLoad higher than 5)? That could explain the shutdown on map opening/closing.
Also try to lower the details, does it still occur?
Do you have any additional input hardware besides mouse and keyboard attached to your PC?
My last tip would be to check the temperature on your hardware, might get too hot for some reason (fans/ wc damaged, outdated drivers and such).
dav
Bettler
Bettler

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I don't have any other input hardware installed.

I've cleaned my PC again + Installed the latest drivers, and also moved my old .ini's out to use the default ones. I got a run of the mill crash to desktop (never thought I'd happy to just get a CTD) entering the ruins for the 'deus ex machina quest' but now it seems ok after restarting...

Usually the crash only happens after some time playing, definitely not every 15 minutes.

I'll keep playing and keep you updated.

P.S. You guys have done an AMAZING job with Enderal, it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Well done! Got anything else in the pipeline?
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

well let's hope something of that worked :/
18.06.2017 12:27dav hat geschrieben:
P.S. You guys have done an AMAZING job with Enderal, it's one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Well done! Got anything else in the pipeline?
there's the Addon (/DLC) coming up, and you should check out the other Total Conversions -
Myar Aranath and Arktwend for Morrowind, and
Nehrim for Oblivion (german language, english subs) :D
dav
Bettler
Bettler

So... it worked, for about an hour or so, then it happened again. Crashed opening the map in Sky Temple.

I'm stumped.

EDIT: Just happened again, around 40 minutes in, it didn't crash when opening or closing the map instead I was on the map for a few seconds then it crashed...
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer

some more ideas..

- you do not happen to have some Windows keyboard-shortcut set to 'M'? (unlikely, since the crashes are not just on map interaction)
- is there a specific time interval? like, roughly once an hour or could it be anything between 30 minutes and four hours?
(I'm exaggerating - you know what I mean)
- you said, that this only happens with Enderal - so you played a similary "graphic intense" game for a the same amount of time?
(just to make sure :) )
- did you change your hardware setup (around the time the crashes started)?

- is it Sleep Mode the PC is entering, or is it completely shutting down?

it's unlikely to help, but maybe try reinstalling Enderal :/ ?
(your saves would be save)
dav
Bettler
Bettler

It seems to be happening anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour or so. A few days ago I played for 4 hours with no problem...

I'm not exactly sure what it's doing when it 'crashes', the PC keeps running as it was but theres a windows notification noise and the monitor loses signal, then the sound stops shortly after. The pc doesn't shut down and no keyboard or mouse inputs seem to affect it... I've never ran into anything like it haha

Even the restart button on my tower doesn't do anything, the only way I can get back on my PC is holding the power button until it shuts off and then booting back up again.

I don't have any shortcut on the M key, I've not made any hardware changes in around 18 months.

I'll try a re-install now
13 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2