please update mods for the paper map!

Moderator: Moderatoren

19 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2
Freestonew
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

hi all.

I recently installed enderal again, a new computer. I played until I got to Riverville and there I took on a few quests.

by now, I have installed maybe 12 to 15 mods.

in riverville I opened my map and uuugh! the map was corrupted! a glitzy map with no quest markers and not even riverville there on the map.
eventually after checking the skyrim ini and reading, I found that if I disabled all of my mods the new paper map now works, complete with quest markers.

then to check each mod. aha! seems that any mod that alters the objective world space, if not updated for the new map, will glitz the map!
I had to uninstall
--bank safes.
--tam log cabin, the nice cabin in riverville.
--harvest overhaul.
--eu3teleport mod.

the magic symbol quest mod has been updated very recently, like yesterday, it works with the map.

please, mod makers, update your mods for the paper map!

but many modders might have stopped modding years ago.

freestone
Buccaneer
Paladin
Paladin
Danksagung erhalten: 41 Mal

18.11.2017 23:48Freestonew hat geschrieben:

Oh no. Are you saying the Tam Log Cabin will not work with the updated version of Enderal?? I seriously don't think I would enjoy playing Enderal as much without that cabin.
Hoxyd
SureAI
SureAI
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 228 Mal

Not sure about this, but guess you can fix that display problem by creating a mod which edits the Enderal worldspace after the patch 1.2.4.0 and set this mod last in the load order.
Freestonew
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

19.11.2017 01:35Buccaneer hat geschrieben:
18.11.2017 23:48Freestonew hat geschrieben:

Oh no. Are you saying the Tam Log Cabin will not work with the updated version of Enderal?? I seriously don't think I would enjoy playing Enderal as much without that cabin.
yup.
if i have that cabin, goodbye map! all i would get is a poor rendition of the old map without a single quest mrker. not even a town. not even riverville. not even *your* marker on the map, where you are.
i suspect that any mod that adds markers to the map, will not work until patched.

problem might be, as i see that many mods were made back in about 2015...2016, that these mod makers have moved on to other things in their lives. suddenly two to three years have gone by.

as the game updates over and over again, probably yet more mods will fall behind. their might come a time when one should never update enderal again and just play as is.

what about the DLC?! will it break most mods? will it require a new game?

seems i have hardly played the big rpgs, for the last few years.....either i have ruined the game through over modding or worse, a mod comes out that really requires a new game start!

freestone
Buccaneer
Paladin
Paladin

If the problem is the placement of the cabin marker on the map, maybe a simple edit to its script removing the placement would solve it?

But good thing I hadn't updated and as much I love the Enderal team and the phenomenal work they have done, putting out an update that breaks too many things may not have been the wisest move; esp. when the 3D map was working fine.
Hoxyd
SureAI
SureAI
Schwarzer Wächter
Schwarzer Wächter
Danksagung erhalten: 228 Mal

As stated, try to create a new esp with the new patch installed and edit the Enderal Woldspace. Load this esp with the Launcher last in the load order. This could overwrite all changes made by plugins created with the old map system.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

20.11.2017 01:24Buccaneer hat geschrieben:
..., putting out an update that breaks too many things may not have been the wisest move; esp. when the 3D map was working fine.
would you say the same about a commercial game?
it doesn't break anything in unmodded Enderal, and SureAi isn't responsible for anything beyond that ;)

sure, mods no longer working isn't nice, but blaming the developer like that :/ ?

there's a difference between
"oh no, the new feature broke all mods ever, that sucks" and
"oh no, the new feature broke all mods ever, they shouldn't have released it"
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

There's an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." SureAI "fixes" many things that aren't broke, and that often results in unforeseen problems. The 3D map wasn't "broke", and in fact, I prefer it. On the 3D map, I can see mysterious ruins, castles, etc. if I look closely, places I want to try to reach, and I have to do some exploring to get there. With the paper map, any place I haven't already found is blank. So OK, it shows roads, for those who apparently can only explore by following a road.

Another example of fixing things that aren't "broke" is the constant changing of things in practically every update for "balancing." If a particular weapon or magic is a bit overpowered, well, that happens in virtually every RPG game. So sometimes a player might have invested in a particular skill, only to find that after a "balancing" change some weapon or magic is now linked to a different skill in the name of balancing, and there is no option to respec. If a sword does 1000 damage instead of an intended 100, I would say that is broken and needs to be fixed. But if it does 120 damage instead of 100, so what, no need to get all hyper and rebalance it.

The Forgotten Stories DLC is not just adding the 2 previously planned quest chains, they are making some very significant changes to other areas and have warned that we may not be able to play the DLC with old save games, requiring a restart. If this will be the situation with an unmodded Enderal, I can just imagine all the difficulties that might exist for those who use mods.
Well, commercial developers have to satisfy their customers or go broke, so they focus on fixing the things that are "broke", not on fiddling with everything else. When they come out with DLC or expansions, they are crafted so the players can continue on with their game, not requiring them to start over from the beginning. I would have preferred to see SureAI do a simple DLC that just added/completed the 2 quest chains Golden Sickle & Rhalata; quicker and easier, without requiring a restart.

So SureAI is planning some major changes with the DLC such as the new class -- ghost whisperer or whatever it's called, and I bet that will result in some bugs and unintended consequences. :(
Buccaneer
Paladin
Paladin

20.11.2017 08:54urst hat geschrieben:
..., putting out an update that breaks too many things may not have been the wisest move; esp. when the 3D map was working fine.
it doesn't break anything in unmodded Enderal, and SureAi isn't responsible for anything beyond that ;)

sure, mods no longer working isn't nice, but blaming the developer like that :/ ?

I understand but I am going to have to lean towards what badgesareus said. I realize that the 3D map wasn't originally intended but after so many players thoroughly enjoying the game and modders building on top of that, it should have been called a 'settled feature'. If many players were 1) complaining about the 3D map or 2) the 3D map causing the game to become unplayable, then that would be a good candidate to fix. But I do not recall either scenarios. I love the 3D map (considering the extraordinary popularity of #3 A Quality World Map - which gives you the option of 3D or Paper) because it helps see how to get up or down a terrain.
20.11.2017 07:52Hoxyd hat geschrieben:
As stated, try to create a new esp with the new patch installed and edit the Enderal Woldspace. Load this esp with the Launcher last in the load order. This could overwrite all changes made by plugins created with the old map system.
Thank you, I'll give that a try.
Freestonew
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

21.11.2017 01:07Buccaneer hat geschrieben:
20.11.2017 08:54urst hat geschrieben:

I understand but I am going to have to lean towards what badgesareus said. I realize that the 3D map wasn't originally intended but after so many players thoroughly enjoying the game and modders building on top of that, it should have been called a 'settled feature'. If many players were 1) complaining about the 3D map or 2) the 3D map causing the game to become unplayable, then that would be a good candidate to fix. But I do not recall either scenarios. I love the 3D map (considering the extraordinary popularity of #3 A Quality World Map - which gives you the option of 3D or Paper) because it helps see how to get up or down a terrain.
20.11.2017 07:52Hoxyd hat geschrieben:
Thank you, I'll give that a try.
I think it is said that one problem painter artists have is that the painting is never finished! the temptation to Tinker is always there.

thus a game is a piece of art, never finished, always something more to add.

often there is a point where one can declare a work is finished. the onlooker would see that is so. ah, but in the artist's heart and soul, he Knows differently.

I too have over modded a game more then once until it breaks. nothing is ever finished, even in mod installing. there are times I feel I ought to play games that never can be modded as they are Finished, warts, bugs, and all. messing with a modded game can ruin a game. messing *with* the game can ruin the mods and even the game itself.

so they Tinker. there is ALWAYS more stuff they can add. a rich world can only be made richer and the richer the world is, the more stuff that can be added.

there has to be, myself, in parallel, where I must Play, not install mods. I might now not install any more patches, just to play this wonderful world as it now is. or I never will.

---they will add the dlc....I wait.
months later the bugs that the dlc has caused will be fixed and a new game must be started just for that....I begin again.
then a new ultra-mod is made by someone and I really do need to begin a new game!....I begin yet again.
the ultra mod introduces bugs so I have to stop playing and wait till the patch.
patch is made then I have to begin again.

I die of old age, waiting; I am 76 now as it is!

so I Must Choose. Now.
to Play.

I have not begun skyrim for reasons like this, too, *both* versions, old and SSE!

freestone
19 Beiträge Seite 1 von 2