Disclaimer: I am no expert with any tools and I am always looking to expand my knowledge, understanding, and skills.
I am no expert with TES IV: Construction Set, but I have done basic tasks such as fetch quests, NPC characters, simple interiors, and more. I have followed YouTube tutorials from YouTubers such as Darkfox127 - https://www.youtube.com/c/Darkfox127. He has some fantastic video tutorials for the TES V: Construction Kit. Sadly, I feel TES IV: Oblivion with it's TES Construction Set does not receive the same love. I am dyslexic, so I hate reading long amounts of text. So I will try and make the rest of the post as simple and quick as possible.
A clean fresh install of TES IV: Oblivion can help prevent any later issues, but it is not necessary. If you have not run the game yet, run it at least once to create additional game files.
TES: Construction Set Versions & Features
*** I suggest just using Construction Set v1.0 as it works without issues. Venture at your own risk. ***
Download: https://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php?t ... uction_Set
- Construction Set v1.0 - first version allows tools such as lip synch files that go with voiced dialogue
- Construction Set v1.2 - tools such as lip synch appear broken
- Construction Set v1.2 Patch - features still appear broken
- Construction Set Extender - never got to work correctly
This tool unpacks .bsa files. The file contents can be placed into your Data folder.
- Run the .exe executable
- Click Open and navigate to the Oblivion game directory
- Go into the Data folder and click on the file - Oblivion - Meshes.bsa and click Unpack
- Unpack the files into a custom folder
- Copy and paste these files and folders into your game's Data folder of the game directory
- The same process can be done for the file - Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa.
Make sure everything is working correctly. If everything works fine, well done!
Tutorials, Practice, Research
- Once the TES: Construction Set is running, go to File > Data. Tick the box on the left-hand side of Oblivion.esm. Click OK.
- *** Maybe a slow process of loading, but please wait...
- Once Loading Complete: Go File > Save. Give your mod a name of Tutorial and click Save.
- Suggestion: Research and watch YouTube tutorials. I strongly suggest this!
Next time you launch the Kit, go File > Data. Tick the box beside Oblivion.esm and also click the name of your mod - Tutorial - and click the button Set as Active File. Then click OK. Any modifications you make in the kit will modify your mod file of - Tutorial - and not Oblivion.esm.
Loading Mod In Game:
- On the TES IV: Oblivion Launcher, click Data Files and make sure your mod is ticked. This is a common silly mistake.
- Save regularly. The TES: Construction Set tends to crash easily.
- Multiple save backups. (In case you need to revert something you've done).
- Start small, improve your skills first
- Read and watch tutorials
Know any decent materials, guides, videos, etc? Why not suggest them below.