The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Simple Tweak Inquiry

Moderator: Moderatoren

2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
FRGCWRU
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Hello Everyone,

Go to TL;DR if you don't care to read this, but I'm going to include where I'm coming from anyway otherwise people might put effort into writing solutions I'm not looking for.

Ever since I discovered and completed Nehrim I've been getting back into standard Oblivion, but felt there were many aspects of Nehrim's balance and other tweaks were better than everything in the vanilla game. So I've been working really hard on a simple stats update with an .ESP file, but I'm making it a very strict rule it's going to be a numerical value tweak only. I don't want to add or remove any content from the game because I want it to be as stable as it can be. I think I've now reached a point where I'm pretty much happy with everything I tweaked but I'm left searching for one more thing: difficulty.

I've tried playing with the difficulty slider in game but I'm just not happy with how that works because I'm just hacking away at enemies far too many times for it to be sensible. So I've thought of a solution and that would be the general overall value for how quickly enemies notice you when you're not sneaking (I don't want to break the sneaking mechanics). This way when you enter a dungeon and start hacking away at the first enemy others will notice this sooner and join into the fight as well. So the major thing here would be that you can no longer easily segment dungeons into fighting one enemy at a time. Fighting multiple enemies simultaneously is infinitely more difficult as you can't simply walk back or strafe to dodge each attack.

Theoretically this should increase the overall difficulty of the game significantly without needing to have the modding capability to directly change actual combat mechanics and enemy fighting intelligence. Not to mention the balancing and tweaking aftermath when addressing such an issue would be endless, and I've already tweaked so many values it's starting to become dizzying.

I fully realize this change would entail most outdoor NPCs (in villages, around inns, stables, travelers, outdoor guards, quest-related NPCs etc. etc.) would be in far more danger from this change but that doesn't matter much because I buffed every single friendly outdoor NPC already since Master-level enemies do so much damage.

TL;DR: Is there a value in Gameplay --> Settings that directly alters how quickly enemies notice you without having any impact on sneaking mechanics in order to up the difficulty of the game.
FRGCWRU
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Ok I've done a lot of testing with the following settings: fSneakMaxDistance" and "fSneakRunningMult." I've read up on a lot of things online and these two values seem to be the two I'm looking for. The default values are 1500 and 1.3 respectively. Changing them to 3000 and 2.6 does seem to increase the awareness of all enemies, and going through many a dungeon these are the values I eventually landed at. Any lower than exactly double doesn't seem to change much from the vanilla game.

There were probably thresholds the creators were asked to abide by how close enemies could be from one another when creating the dungeons. I surmise this could be the cause that a slightly higher value can have this much of an impact. Also, the rate at which you're discovered is also heavily attenuated by how many walls and floors there are between you and the enemy, so in more compactly-designed dungeons you still won't always be swarmed by the whole lot of them at once.

But to be sure, in some cases it still does cause problems because the AI isn't intelligent enough to cope with these changes perfectly. Some enemies do continue to run into walls or whatever simply because they notice you too early and do not know of an appropriate way to reach you, especially when there's also a locked door in between. Luckily once you reach these enemies they'll start attacking you properly and cease the mindless running towards your general direction into a wall.

And the other problem is with Conjuration: Your conjured creature also has the same increased visibility so it will definitely start running everywhere and you might lose track of it. Guess that makes the Dispel skill more alluring if you don't want your summoned creature to alert every single thing out there.

Two drawbacks I can live with in order to make the game more difficult for a veteran player. Together with all the other changes I've made (running into the thousands) Oblivion should be tough as nails to get through at any level regardless of your experience with the game sans having to resort to large overhaul mods that destabilize the game.

But I'm always open if someone else still has some tips I could use to tweak things for the better.

Regards.
2 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1