Is Vyn round or flat?

Moderator: Moderatoren

7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1
alfirin657
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Or any shape, really. Could be a cube for all I know. I looked at a map in the gallery and saw Enderal was pretty far from Nehrim; any boat heading between the two places would have to go pretty far north or very far south unless they wanted to cross Qyra. If the world is round, in which case the distance looks almost the same either way but ships can stop by Myar Aranth for supplies.
Now that Enderal is coming relatively soon I've replayed Nehrim and restarted writing a small english mod I made for myself, would like to know some more world stuff for immersion purposes.

Thank you sureai for all your hard work. i hope you're doing well and that Arkt's little farm is also going well.
Redanxela
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 65 Mal

Well that's an interesting question. As far as I know, SureAI hasn't put that much thought into geology. As a geologist, the whole story of a large meteorite crashing onto Vyn and splitting the supercontinent into the continents we have now is nonsense of course. Actually, it's more like an ingame myth anyway. If we take a geologic approach and assume Vyn is round, because it has a day-night cycle and different climate zones due to the smaller angles sun rays are hitting the planet at higher latitudes, we have indications for a round planet. Furthermore, there are seasons in Vyn, or I guess at least there are because most people don't consider a world without creating seasons. To get seasons on a real planet, you have to have an inclination in the planets rotary axis, which is about 23.5° on planet Earth. This inclinination is highly important for the zonation of climate zones unconsciously applied to most fantasy worlds. As a Beta tester I can tell you that climate zonation has also been applied to Enderal (at least sort of) as well, it's more like NW (cold) - SE (hot), similar to Nehrim. Under the assumption of cold and warm water ocean currents playing a vital role in the thermal circulation of Vyn, that would even make sense. This is the reason, why have palms in Ireland while on the same latitude in Canada you can find polar bears.

You might take a look at this unofficial map created by one of the users in the German forum, which shows the position of the continents in Enderal based on Vyn to get a better idea of the relative positioning of the continents: http://sureai.net/forum/download/file.p ... &mode=view

So yeah, just looking at some details I come to the conclusion Vyn is indeed a planet, if we assume it's working with similar processes like Earth. But in the end this is still a fantasy game and nothing of what I said must apply to that world.
alfirin657
Bettler
Bettler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

The information about water currents will be useful when I want to think about Qyra's climate in relation to the areas on Nehrim that are about the same latitude (having been to both canada for a trip and living in northern europe i was very confused about the climate difference). That map looks cleaner than the one I saw and its more detailed; now it looks like sailors heading west of Nehrim and around the planet can feasibly reach Enderal and even pass through Myar Aranth should they want to trade.
thanks so much!
Redanxela
Arkanmagier
Arkanmagier
Danksagung erhalten: 65 Mal

Yes, but please don't try to get too sophisticated when creating a climate model for Qyra because there are several unknown variables like ocean depth or the exact latitudes, which can have a drastic impact on climate. Also trade routes are not that easy to guess, because they are heavily dependent on the dominant wind systems on Vyn (easterlies and westerlies) and we have no idea about that either. This post makes me realise why I never try to think about climate and geology in games, because most developers don't consult a professional for these things and as a result, all these tiny design errors come to mind when thinking about it. This is of course no criticism at SureAI, 99% of your players won't even consider such things because they simply lack the background knowledge for it.
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

In the library in Ark (Enderal) there is a globe showing that Vyn is definitely round.
Fimbul
Krieger
Krieger
Danksagung erhalten: 3 Mal

I think regarding to different climate-zones Vyn should be round. Also we have a sun and a moon.
Xagul
Schattengott
Schattengott
Danksagung erhalten: 67 Mal

badgesareus hat geschrieben:
In the library in Ark (Enderal) there is a globe showing that Vyn is definitely round.
And there are more globes in the game, so one could tend to believe this was done intentionally :wink:
In addition: There are maps of Vyn within the game which remind me of standard projections of world maps. And they have been out there (in different versions, of course) before in the context of Arktwend and Myar Aranath.

Another thing you should keep in mind: The whole concept of Vyn appears to use standard models/concepts of the universe as it is common sense today: The starlings did and do interplanetary travel, a "star" crushed the first super-continent etc. - yes, this certainly sounds like flat earth theory ;)
7 Beiträge Seite 1 von 1