Moderator: Moderatoren

17 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Caleb8980 hat geschrieben:
Nicolas Samuel hat geschrieben:
Folks,

Hosting a discussion about cracking (that includes removing Steam dependency) could get us into deep legal trouble. :(

We think it's sad that Skyrim is tied to Steam, and that there isn't a way to legally purchase it elsewhere (GOG, maybe) - especially since we know many people who won't play it because of that -, but due to the aforementioned situation. Sorry for that. :dead:
Regarding that I have a question: how does Enderal work with Steam? After all I read that you can't publish it in the Workshop and Steam Greenlight also seems not possible.

Also you can't deactivate the Skyrim.esm or Update.esm in the usual game launcher.

Is Enderal then still installed over Steam and then comes with its own launcher or will it be completely standalone from Steam?

Btw I ask this because it interests me, no cracking or anything similar involved ;-)

P.S.: It is really weird to ask this here in english, as I could just ask it in german, too xD But this thread is already about Steam, so instead of being offtopic or even opening a new one, this seems more appropiate ^^
Apologies to the forum, I agree that discussions about circumventing DRM is neither permitted nor acceptable. The moderating team should delete any content containing such references.

I also believe that Steam has become a cancer on the gaming community, although there are many, many who vehemently defend their Steam overlords (Stockholm Syndrome, to be sure). The sad thing is, Steam does not prevent piracy. The truth be told, producers probably lose money by using Steam, although none are likely to admit their mistake, and even if they did, Gabe and his posse would quickly deal those who did in a severe manner.

The truly sad thing is, the obvious talent displayed by the SureAI team depends on the lesser (in my opinion) work of others. If SureAI would produce games as other studios do, I would gladly pay for their games, as long as they did not use Steam or the other parasitic middlemen (again, my personal opinion) who are ruining PC gaming.
Hazzmat
Magier
Magier
Danksagung erhalten: 15 Mal

You know, it's not that as you try to make of it. While I do agree it is a lot more convenient if you could play without starting steam first, it's not that much of a hassle either. Just play the games on steam and ignore everything else. Also, many games nowadays have some sort of start up platform before you launch the game itself. Take a look at the Blizzard games for example. If you ask me you're overreacting a little. Steam is barely restrictive and you can download games on every pc you wish.
Nicolas Samuel
Writer
Writer
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 682 Mal

Caleb8980 hat geschrieben:
Nicolas Samuel hat geschrieben:
Regarding that I have a question: how does Enderal work with Steam? After all I read that you can't publish it in the Workshop and Steam Greenlight also seems not possible.
We have our own launcher, which takes care of the installation, patching, and starting of the game. But in Steam, you will be shown as playing Skyrim if you start Enderal. :)
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

Regardless of how some try to make Steam appear innocuous or harmless, or even beneficial, I am not drinking that Kool-Aid.

Steam will never be on any machine I own, and if that means not playing a great title such as I am sure Enderal will be, then so be it.
MrHappyFace
Gauner
Gauner
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

AlKHall1 hat geschrieben:
Apologies to the forum, I agree that discussions about circumventing DRM is neither permitted nor acceptable. The moderating team should delete any content containing such references.
I see what you mean, I guess. I personally think it's a gray area and that acceptability is determined by the motivation. Anyway, I apologize for any risk or inconvenience the discussion may or may not have caused.

Another solution may be to force Steam to always be offline 100% of the time. This will basically turn Steam into a lifeless husk that serves the sole purpose of allowing Skyrim to load; nothing more and nothing less.
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... g-in-first
Note: The above method is basically a sledgehammer solution. I imagine you could probably also block steam in your Firewall after setting this up as well.

Another idea would be to make a script which runs Steam (Ideally in offline mode), then launches Skyrim, then closes Steam after Skyrim is running.
AlKHall1
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler

MrHappyFace hat geschrieben:
AlKHall1 hat geschrieben:
I see what you mean, I guess. I personally think it's a gray area and that acceptability is determined by the motivation. Anyway, I apologize for any risk or inconvenience the discussion may or may not have caused.

Another solution may be to force Steam to always be offline 100% of the time. This will basically turn Steam into a lifeless husk that serves the sole purpose of allowing Skyrim to load; nothing more and nothing less.
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... g-in-first
Note: The above method is basically a sledgehammer solution. I imagine you could probably also block steam in your Firewall after setting this up as well.

Another idea would be to make a script which runs Steam (Ideally in offline mode), then launches Skyrim, then closes Steam after Skyrim is running.

The fact remains; it is still the accursed blight of the suppurative cancer that is Steam.

Never, never, never.
MrHappyFace
Gauner
Gauner
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

With the forced offline mode, it would be more like a plastic display model of the cancer.

But if you don't want to bypass the DRM, or force Steam to never be online or even running except when you actually need it to start TESV.exe, then you are probably SoL :'(
17 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2