Some suggestions for the hardcore mod

Moderator: Moderatoren

20 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

the player can activate his camping kit. The screen would fade to black and after it fades back in there would be a campfire and a set-up tent. The player has the option to rest there and with a small chance monsters might appear while he's asleep.
That sounds good. I hope the campfire will function to be able to cook meat (if there is cooking in the game).
Since we will probably disable the option to rest or wait normally
I would like to see the option to wait remain in the game. I might have to wait an hour for a shop to open, and I don't think I could camp in front of the door!

Regarding my remarks about language, don't think too much about them. I was trying to make a point (I think) that immersion can be created by realistic elements (such as the subconscious mind hearing a foreign language in a foreign land) , and it can be created by the game play being so interesting, fun, challenging, etc. that one forgets he is playing a game. Any Austrians on your team? I'm beginning to think I need some Freudian help!

I agree with the opinion above about the Inns. In Skyrim, they were all cookie-cutter designs, and there was no reason to visit them unless some quest forced you to go to them. How about a dart board? Perhaps the physics in the game for arrows would be easy to adapt. (Hey, I've been spending too much time watching the olympics.)
mandos
Schurke
Schurke

Latiro hat geschrieben:
Since we will probably disable the option to rest or wait normally...
How does that sound to you?
It sounds divine! I think if you manage to keep in game this than ill be hooked to enderal forever!:)
In my opinion It would tie even better with the gameplay if you would have sleep requirement in game, as you said no overkill, 6 hours a day should suffice :) and besides in terms of lore of the game the sleeping is the most required for me (more than hunger and thirst), since it defines nightime and daytime as two very distinct periods with its own atmosphere and uses.
mandos
Schurke
Schurke

I just got an idea for maybe little more smooth implementation of basic needs such as hunger and thirst. The point would be in instant consumption of food picked up in the world. The "proper" stackable food would still be available in taverns or obtainable via cooking, but food in dungeons or world would be instantly "boosting" some abilities or statistics, never going directly into your inventory, creating a little more dynamic needs system...Food restoring some portion of health, water bottles stamina or mana, etc...
What do you think?

P.S: It would be cool if in this way you could buy a soup or meal in tavern, after a dialogue it would appear in front of you on the "bar", and you could eat right away without going into your inventory (maybe with a neat sitting animation, but thats just a pipe dream:). You could still buy some portable food, such as chicken mcnuggets or something:), but buying a soup and packing it in your backpack in a plate is not perhaps the brightest idea:) It would bring a "cantina" sort of experience into the game, and few more features for inns to cozy-up the atmosphere. And it would be necesary i suppose for these various levels of food to have distinctive qualities to incentivize the use of them, ranging from poor (dungeon found food) to excellent (tavern-cooked meal), and different taverns could offer different quality food, inn at the crossroads near some major city would have better meals than local tavern full of drunks in city which population is...5... :)
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter

food in dungeons or world would be instantly "boosting" some abilities or statistics, never going directly into your inventory
Actually, I think most food in dungeons should be completely eliminated. If a dungeon is in use, such as by bandits or wizards, it's expected to find food items in the areas where they are living. But it is a bit absurd to be in a dungeon that hasn't been visited in hundreds of years, open a box or barrel, and find a cabbage that looks like it was picked yesterday. Most of the food in dungeons, if found at all, should be rotten and inedible, and if you do take a bite, your abilities drop due to salmonella poisoning. :(

And by the way, I've figured out that Nehrim is located somewhere in Ireland, as there are no snakes! :wink:

Going back to food and a possible "need" to eat, if all that happens when I eat something is that it heals a small number of health points or has a brief positive effect on some ability, why bother? Easy enough to heal up by resting or a potion. So to make eating an immersive experience, make it actually useful. For example, say I need to sleep to heal up after a battle. Let's say, no matter how long I sleep, I only heal 50%. However, if I eat a meal before sleeping, I heal 100%, and if I eat a really good meal (perhaps even some complex recipe I prepare myself) I heal 110% after sleeping. Also, health potions would have to be scarcer and harder to make to encourage the use of food and sleep.

Regarding "waiting" I think it is necessary as I might have to wait an hour for a shop to open, or a couple of hours for night to fall. But just eliminate healing when waiting, so I can't heal simply by waiting.
mandos
Schurke
Schurke

I agree with the part of more powerfull potions affecting over time. It would eliminate abuse of them as well as need to stack 100+ on each kind. As for the part about obsolete food, thats exactly the reason why i think it should have only menial effect if its found in dungeons and likewise. (At least in Skyrim) most dungeons are populated by humans with foodso its kinda self-explaining. Of course i have no idea whether Enderal will be like that so i wont draw any conclusions. My whole point is that the food obtained from taverns would be most valuable for satysfying hunger, and of course restoring part of the health was just an idea how to make dungeon food worth some (even if little) use. I would personally abolish all the healing (including sleeping) except spells an potions, and rather introduce a healer shrine (or something like that), or healers as an occupation for an npc in settlements.
badgesareus hat geschrieben:
Regarding "waiting" I think it is necessary as I might have to wait an hour for a shop to open, or a couple of hours for night to fall. But just eliminate healing when waiting, so I can't heal simply by waiting.
i dont like to repeat myself, so i will just paste my opinion on this from answer which i gave to you in another topic

your objection that you need often to wait 1 hour or so is legit, but it only works because the whole system is setup the way it is, that you dont need to be aware of such issues as time, part of the day that you are currently in, etc.
If you for example would have to sleep in game, the game would get a new dimension, in which you would be sleeping at night and questing in a day, or vice versa for a thief, or any combination in between. I t would take actual planning and decision making, not just rushing from one dungeon to another, unloading stuff at the trader, rinse,repeat.

For example with day/night dynamics, you shouldnt have this need to wait one hour very often, because you would be required to sleep, and after arriving to town right after he shops are closing you could just go to bed and rest to the morning where they will be opened... with all the benefits that sleep brings (whatever they will be)
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter

you could just go to bed and rest to the morning where they will be opened
That would be practical, if every shop had exactly the same hours and opened precisely on time. I don't know how it will be in Enderal, but in Skyrim, that was not the case. The Skyrim "hints" stated that shops were generally open from 8 AM to 8 PM. But they very often opened later than 8 AM, sometimes after 10 AM. So I might arrive at 8:30 AM , not open, wait 1 hour, still not open, wait another hour, finally open. No doubt you will say I could just sleep until 11 AM and for sure the shop would be open, but that would be wasting quite a bit of time, and be rather unrealistic that I would sleep so late so often.
mandos
Schurke
Schurke

badgesareus hat geschrieben:
The Skyrim "hints" stated that shops were generally open from 8 AM to 8 PM. But they very often opened later than 8 AM, sometimes after 10 AM. So I might arrive at 8:30 AM , not open, wait 1 hour, still not open, wait another hour, finally open. .
You are quite right, but my impression was that in Skyrim the various opening times were rather a bug with unlocking the door (perhaps a script?) and not intentional game element, judging by the fact that i could get in in various times and after performing kinda ritual in front of the door. By the way exactly same issue was in Oblivion
Neverthless, the shops that were constantly on different schedule were so few and completely arbitrary in Skyrim that i see no issue and conflict with every regular shop opening in Enderal in an exact time. Sure if it fits the lore it can be adjusted,like a fence thats selling and buying stolen goods can be opened for bussiness during nightime, but that is to be expected of shady characters, and you wouldnt try to find him in the middle of the day.
greenlight
Eliath
Eliath
Danksagung erhalten: 57 Mal

Maybe shops should have different opening times that are displayed as a short text message in the upper left corner (like if you find a new location. just a subtle message, not a big message box popping up) when entering or activating the closed door.

Anyway, I think eating and sleeping shouldn't be too essential for the game. Let's say, if you don't sleep for 16 hours, the avatar will feel tired, moves a little slower and does less damage with weapons (not drastically). On the other hand, eating or sleeping will remove those negative effects and perhaps add some positive ones for a few hours.
Zuletzt geändert von greenlight am 21.08.2012 21:32, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Defianc4
Krieger
Krieger

Just a random idea that the original poster made me think of: how cool would it be to have a quest involving an avalanche?
mandos
Schurke
Schurke

Defianc4 hat geschrieben:
Just a random idea that the original poster made me think of: how cool would it be to have a quest involving an avalanche?
LOL its an interesting idea but i cant imagine that something like that could be implemented and at the same time be anywhere near looking good enough...maybe a massive rock slide is more doable...but real time avalanche is i believe beyond the capabilities of this engine. What i meant by environmental hazards is more like penalty for swimming in water, freezing water, etc; something that would give us reason to look for all those overlooked bridges, and not just jumping into water whenever i feel like shortcutting distance :)
20 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2