English Version delayed!!

Moderator: Moderatoren

76 Beiträge Seite 5 von 8
sphanlon
Krieger
Krieger
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Thanks Caleb and everybody for all you do for us. I can't wait to play. We really appreciate you.

I didn't know German with English subs would have to be it's own special version and people couldn't easily mod it together. Or that we are getting full EV INSTEAD of that. I feel sorry for the people that wanted it, but I'm excited to get what I've been looking forward to.
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

When the German speakers already have a huge amount of absolutely dumb problems arising from stupid things they did?
I couldn't stop laughing, it will be true of the English speakers also, I'm sure! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
democrite
Schurke
Schurke
Danksagung erhalten: 2 Mal

Hi Caleb,

You should'nt waste your time answering some "weirdo", we all know thr great work/achievement you are providing us and will never be enough thanks fully.
You will always find some weirdos who like to waste their time and yours it's like it is ...

Bon courage et merci encore :)
irmi
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 14 Mal

Caleb8980 hat geschrieben:
[...]
I am honestly fed up with the crap in here: I am awake until 2 or 3 A.M. each single day for the EV (Marvin even longer), my sleeping time amounts to a bit more than 5 hours and I have to work from 9 in the morning to 8 in the evening everyday (holidays and weekend included!). But I am nevertheless happy to be of help for SureAI, who are a bit like my personal heroes.
I am doing the EV not out of obligation nor because I receive any sort of advantage for myself. I am doing it because I can help these guys and I am doing it for you, the English speaking crowd - just as I also did that Q&A in here; I've done it for you, because I personally think that you are just as important as the German speaking people. [...]
Thanks, Caleb, for your great posting!

It always baffles me how ignorant some people are when it comes to free things. I'm grown up, I work a lot, and as cliché as it may sound to the <20yo: Spare time is a valuable good, maybe the most valuable of all. SureAI spend their free time on Enderal. Thing is, they all as well could go swimming or to a Biergarten or play a game instead of putting up with those BS comments that are really nothing but bitchin' and whinin', and cause only frustration and anger that really nobody needs.

I personally am more than grateful that they've created this wonderful game, and that they're working on fixing issues and the EV in every free minute. If you think they're not fast enough for your taste, and that's the only thing you have to say instead of some well-deserved encouragement or constructive (!) criticism, please don't even bother. Nobody needs your uncalled-for negativity.

Do you think Enderal is nothing worth because it's free? Just go and multiply the sum of working hours of so many people by approx. 25-30€, as that's what I'd assume a skilled employee earns in the Munich area before taxes/health insurance etc. are substracted (I assume an industry salary), and more with a degree like a master or doctorate. ;)

edit: Clarifications regarding my calculation. Thanks to Xagul for pointing that out!
Zuletzt geändert von irmi am 02.08.2016 22:03, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Kachiun
Bettler
Bettler

Caleb - you are the man :). Ignore the trolls and take your time with the work your doing. And thank you for the time and energy you put into this awesome project.
irmi
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 14 Mal

irmi hat geschrieben:
Eolath hat geschrieben:
Not adept enough apparently, when I kept encountering words I just didn't know the meaning of I gave up. :roll: It's not like you can pause the game between lines to reread the sentence several times.
If you open the console during a conversation, will you still see the subtitles? I'm going to check that later. It definitely stops the convo and resumes it at the point where you've hit the ^.
Alright, I finally tried that. Unfortunately, the console puts a dark block over the subs, so you can't read them when you open the console :(. I think it worked like that in Oblivion, but not anymore.
JoeCapricorn
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

People don't realize that Nehrim was a massive undertaking. The reason (I assume) why there wasn't an English voiced version is because of limited resources.

SureAI still has limited resources. I was elated to hear they would be doing an English voiced version of Enderal. I figured it would take longer because the primary version is in German and it's not as simple as directly translating between German to English. There are going to be differences due to some words having no direct meaning. For instance, German has "ihr" as a second person plural pronoun. English doesn't have an exact equivalent. Sometimes just "you" is used and regional dialects might say "y'all", "yinz" or "youse". "Übung macht den Meister" means "Practice makes perfect" but a word for word translation is "Practice makes the master". There are other idioms and figures of speech likely used throughout the German version that doesn't have any exact correlation with English. Even trickier would be translating poems and preserving the rhythm, meter and rhyme. I assume that is why some in game books were still in German in Nehrim (like "Freudenherz").

Nehrim was very fun to play. There were still bits and pieces here and there of untranslated notes. I think I ran across an untranslated subtitle as well. None of that ruined the experience. It took a lot of work to get it to that point where an error here and there did not diminish the experience. I also found it fun to follow along with the German spoken dialogue as I took German in high school and college. I've been to Germany, Switzerland and Austria. I've conversed in German, though I'm not fluent and I probably knew much more back in the day than I do now because I haven't had any practice for several years.

Enderal was announced pretty soon after Skyrim was released. I've been waiting for 4 years for this whole new game that is entirely free and made by a team doing it because they want to. I can wait a few more weeks knowing that it will come out when SureAI feels it is ready. Then it will be SUPER AWESOME!!!!11one

Caleb said something about server load that had me wondering about something though. For some large-scale mods (mainly Immersive NPCs for Skyrim), new versions are put up in a bittorrent file. Maybe consider that as an additional method of distribution? It would lighten the load off the servers if that is a concern. If plenty of people seed the file, download speeds can get really fast.

Don't listen to some of the loud buttholes. They are just farting nonsense out of their mouths anyway. The vast majority that are waiting for the English version are doing so patiently (and silently).
Hazzmat
Magier
Magier
Danksagung erhalten: 15 Mal

Wow. Insulting people like a little kid for stating what they think. Nice going buddy!
Principe Alessandro
Stadtwache
Stadtwache

Xagul hat geschrieben:
Principe Alessandro hat geschrieben:
German voice acting is simply better, hands down about this, simply speaking I couldn't understand why the modders had to invest time and work hours on the english voice acting when an english subbed version is good as well in understanding the meaning of what game characters are saying and at the same time it retains the perfectly fitted sound of the german voice acting.

Though nothing personal, I guess that after all people have their own preferences.
You don't understand, maybe that's the point: This project is a reference work by guys who started simply modding an ended up with becoming professionals. What do you think, will impress companies like Bethesda (just to name an example)? A well done German TC or a well-designed project that was able to satisfy the big crowd of English-speaking folks? While at the same time being able to gather native speakers to translate texts/scripts and, just to make it square, find speakers?

Face it: This project is not just about making a satisfying game for the community in one's spare time. It is a project showing that they're able to run a project. And this is the very reason why orientating to low-level ("english subbed version is good as well in understanding the meaning of what game characters are saying and at the same time it retains the perfectly fitted sound of the german voice acting" ) was not an option.
Well that is an entirely different matter then if their intention is to make a mod on par with a commercial work, anyway I must point out that I'm not even a native English speaker, my native language is Italian and I'm not even sure that the majority of non German players are native English speakers so I am also a bit surprised that there are so many fans that wants at all cost the English voice acting version of Enderal.

I am just saying that I consider the German voice acting superior, one of the things that I enjoyed with Nehrim was the characters speaking in German because the sound of their voice was amazingly capable to fully express their emotions which I fear is a feature we will miss with the English voice acting.

Nehrim wasn't only a good game but had also a great storyline and sometimes it touched deep cultural themes, what was so great about Nehrim wasn't only the gamey aspect but also the artistic aspect.

And from the artistic aspect the German language is amazingly good, I never encountered something similar in any other game which I must point out that I have played only in English.

Anyway I don't want to cause any bad feelings with my opinion, I waited many years for Enderal and I have no doubt that it will be the greatest achievement of the modding community, not just the modding community of the TES saga but the whole modding community.
MarvinKp
Enderal Team
Enderal Team
Stadtwache
Stadtwache
Danksagung erhalten: 22 Mal

I played both versions now and even though i have to admit that I like the german version a little more (maybe because german is my mother tongue), the english cast is doing a really great job. In some cases I like it even more. Especially the english "high ones" are outstanding. Both versions are definitely worth trying.

Maybe a short update: I have matched all the english dialoques to the scenes by now and I am currently fixing the missing voices I have found during my playthrough.
76 Beiträge Seite 5 von 8