Enderal first time, impressions

Moderator: Moderatoren

241 Beiträge Seite 13 von 25
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Danksagung erhalten: 20 Mal

16.09.2017 17:59dyslexicfaser hat geschrieben:
I did a bit of livestreaming when steam started letting us do that, but I don't think I'd be particularly witty while trying frantically not to die, particularly in a big dungeon like this with a lot of samey rooms and fights. I'm worried it would drag, you know?
I don't think it would be an issue for us Enderal fans, but if that's how you feel you can do it non-live and edit out what you dislike 8)
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

a lot of samey rooms and fights
Yeah, it has the feeling of doing a hack 'n' slash through a place that was reminiscent of the old cookie-cutter dungeons of Oblivion. Not one of SureAI's better creative efforts, compared to some of their others.

However, continuing the main quest at the point you're at will take you to several interesting and varied settings with some creative spins on the standard "fetch" type quests. Like they say on "Big Brother" expect the unexpected!
Buccaneer
Paladin
Paladin
Danksagung erhalten: 41 Mal

Ok, I think a month break is long enough from this wonderful narrative. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

It is too long!
dyslexicfaser
Ritter
Ritter
Danksagung erhalten: 228 Mal

Let’s see if I can’t get back into the swing of this, shall I?

- Back at the plot, Lexil is ready to drop some info on these black stones I’m looking for.
Lexil describes trying to figure out the Beacon to a child trying to reverse-engineer a Starling spaceship, which is a pretty cool turn of phrase. Apparently trying to use the magitech masterpiece of a long-dead race is hard, or something.
If you want to trade places, you could brave the killer spaceship while I look over your notes, Lexy.

- Anyway, after studying his notes we come up with three places to try: the estate of a noble in town, an apothecarius in Undercity, and the burned ruin of House Dal’Varek.
That’s right, we don’t have to dig through the ruins of my house: we have to dig through Jespar’s.

- All the sub-quests have really ominous names, too.
‘Black Light, Part I’ is the overarching quest, ‘All the Dead Souls’ is Jespar’s, ‘Angel’ is Calia’s, and ‘A Song in the Silence’ is interrogating a noble in town … Okay, ‘Black Light’ just sounds like Lexil is directing me to his weed guy to pick him up a dime bag and we’re gonna smoke out together later, and ‘Angel’ is fine.
That one will probably turn out to be the worst one of all.

- I do a bit of investigatory work on all three of them first before I decide which one to go on first.
First up is this fun bit when you go looking for Jespar where he's unavailable because he went to go have a private meeting with a noblewoman. Is it his sister? A contact? Are they fuckin’? The barkeep's money is on her being one of his ‘beloveds'. Note the plural.
I wish this barkeep guy had a bigger part, he's fun.
Anyway, I get a letter for him, which I look at immediately because this is a fantasy world where mail laws don’t exist. It’s a map. I’ll need to go looking for clues to… probably find Jespar’s missing sister? And presumably Jespar will catch up later somehow? Not sure how, I have his map now.

- The apothecarius I’m to meet in Undercity sets me on the trail of a legendary healer-turned-maybe-necromancer named Dal’Galar.
Well, first she takes potshots at me for being some fancy-pants Order fellow who doesn’t like to get her hands dirty down here with the fleshmaggots.

Bild

Lady, I’ll forgive you because you don’t know me. But these garments you’re referencing? I literally pulled them off five different dead guys. I wish it was all ball gowns and parties up there.
I do like her model though. I think this is the first old woman the game has thrown at me. And she's sassy.
... I miss Constantine.

- Calia turns up, and wants to help, thinking this ‘Angel’ thing is supposed to heal all diseases so it’ll heal her… witchiness. I can already tell it’s not going to be that easy, but hey, if she wants to tag along, I’m game. She wants her assistance to be under the radar, though, since it would be hard to explain why she wants this thing so bad.
So instead she’s just going to go off the grid for days while we track down this legend’s castle. Sounds legit. The Order won't suspect a thing I'm sure.

- Calia led me next to a spot next to the apothecary’s cellar door to tell me all this, so I pop in to see what’s up.
And a ‘Lost One in the Wardrobe’ pops out. This Supreme Sister Salvina lady literally has skeletons in her closet. Am I going to have to kill her? I think I might have to kill her, later.

- Also I decide to wander over to a bit of the Undercity I’ve never seen before, since I’m here. It’s the orphanage!
What fresh hell shall I find there? Must I face… children?

Bild

Nope, it’s Vatyr. Lots of Vatyr. And some carved wooden hobby horses and teddy bears and stuff, but mostly Vatyr. Why are there Vatyr in the orphanage? Is there some kind of law that says the Undercity can’t have nice things?
SureAI kind of missed an opportunity to have you be attacked by child Vatyr, I think. That would up the what-the-fuck factor a bit.

- Anyway, back up into the sunlight! The Del’Geyss point of contact for ‘Song in the Silence’ is a giant house in the noble quarter that I’ve gone by half a dozen times. There’s an adventurer serving as doorguard out front.
I use Rhetoric to applaud him for being such a stalwart so well that he starts cursing me out and psyching himself up to get back to adventuring.

Bild

So of course I walk right in. It’s pretty fuckin’ fancy in here, I tell you what.

Bild

Look at all those pots. Man likes his pots.
Anyway, Dal’Geyss assumes I’m here to rob him, because… well that’s fair. I did actually help myself to a gold ingot on the way in here. He assures me that his personal bodyguard is a real nasty customer, not like that boob out front. I think he’s from the Relata or something?
Unfortunately there’s no option to say ‘What, that guy? Looks like a pussy to me’ and instead I’m summarily ejected from the house.

- Never one to take ‘no’ for an answer, I pick the lock on the back door and come back in. This is a stealth mission, one that unfortunately resets if a guard spots you in any way. There’s no, like, ‘stab guard like asshole before he alerts anyone’ option.
It’s a little baffling why I can’t just raid this guy’s house with a writ from the Order to make him tell me what’s up, but whatever, I’m always up for a little light B&E.
After Solid Snaking my way upstairs, I then end up resetting the mission like a dozen times trying to get over to Dal’Geyss before realizing I need to exit his room by way of balcony, work my way up a ladder to the roof, then work my way over to another balcony and then into a storeroom.
Not exactly intuitive, you know?
So I swipe a birth certificate and you know, it turns out Dal’Geyss is the sort of dick that turns out his kid if they’re born deformed, but the mistress gave the kid the black stone thinking he could sell it and maybe live an okay life…?
This is the story I find out after blackmailing him, anyway.

- So those are the three quests, which I can do in any order. I’m tentatively leaning towards tackling this Notre Dame situation first, under the assumption that Calia and Jespar’s quests should be more fun and I like to save the best for last.

The Takeaway:
I appreciate SureAI trying to do something different with the stealth section, but it’s not really something the system was ever designed for and it mostly turned out frustrating. Also not sure about taking Jespar’s mail, but whatever, I’m sure the Prophetess knows what she’s doing.
Zuletzt geändert von dyslexicfaser am 06.11.2017 08:01, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
urst
Schöpfer
Schöpfer
Danksagung erhalten: 620 Mal

awesome to see you writing again :thumbsup:

so, typing ANY word about these quests would be pretty much a spoiler,
but about the "best for last thing"
[+] +
I'd suggest you'd do them in "difficulty" - rating order (the stars in your journal)
not necessarily because of the difficulty ;)
Ragnarok
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Aha! This thread hasn't lost its charm one bit!
badgesareus
Schicksalsknechter
Schicksalsknechter
Danksagung erhalten: 133 Mal

SureAI kind of missed an opportunity to have you be attacked by child Vatyr
Come to think of it, there aren't any child fleshless ones, either.

Welcome back!

Edit: I don't think it matters what order you do them in, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".
Buccaneer
Paladin
Paladin
Danksagung erhalten: 41 Mal

I've been checking this thread everyday and imagine my surprise and joy to see an update!!

I agree with Urst and would do them in this order:
Angel
All the Dead Souls
A Song in the Silence

They're not easy and there are some frustrating bits but you did get through one frustrating part in sneaking through and out of that manor.

The only thing I will say that these will not be as revelatory as Into the Deep but each will end up affecting you very deeply.
dyslexicfaser
Ritter
Ritter
Danksagung erhalten: 228 Mal

I'll do that, then! Thanks guys.
241 Beiträge Seite 13 von 25