Enderal Patchnotes 1.6.4.0 (Final Patch)

Moderator: Moderatoren

14 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2
Taederias
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

12.03.2021 15:11Kermit 61 hat geschrieben:
Yes (if nothing comes up). But this is a fan project -the same developer as on nexusmods- with the help of SureAI for the Steam release.
By the way, one thing has occurred to me now that the modding community has mostly embraced the SE edition of Enderal, and I have recently started tinkering with a modded setup. Not sure if you are the one I should be asking, quite possibly stuemper would be more knowledgable on the matter, but anyway.

Back when Enderal first released it was mentioned that a system was in the works where the myrads would physically fly one to their destination instead of just teleporting. And that due to engine limitations, this ended up not being possible without certain crashes and such. My question would thus be if the nature of the instability was such that the SE version of the engine might enable such a system to work after all (strictly theoretically, for the moment at least).
overdev
Krieger
Krieger
Danksagung erhalten: 9 Mal

19.08.2021 13:16Taederias hat geschrieben:
12.03.2021 15:11Kermit 61 hat geschrieben:
Yes (if nothing comes up). But this is a fan project -the same developer as on nexusmods- with the help of SureAI for the Steam release.
By the way, one thing has occurred to me now that the modding community has mostly embraced the SE edition of Enderal, and I have recently started tinkering with a modded setup. Not sure if you are the one I should be asking, quite possibly stuemper would be more knowledgable on the matter, but anyway.

Back when Enderal first released it was mentioned that a system was in the works where the myrads would physically fly one to their destination instead of just teleporting. And that due to engine limitations, this ended up not being possible without certain crashes and such. My question would thus be if the nature of the instability was such that the SE version of the engine might enable such a system to work after all (strictly theoretically, for the moment at least).
Sadly stuemper isn't around in the modding scene/team anymore and I'm not sure if he was even around at the time this system was tested.

Hard to say if it would work without testing it directly in the game.
Enderal has a much higher object and NPC density so it can't be really compared to Skyrim.

It could work or just result in the same crashes, but first someone would need to recreate this system. I don't think the code for it exist anymore.

You could test quick movement around the world with console commands (but please don't save that on a real playthrough) with the speed of a Myrad/Dragon if you are high above in the air. If that causes no crashes / bigger performance issues, then it would be theoretically possible.
Taederias
Lumpensammler
Lumpensammler
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

19.08.2021 13:43overdev hat geschrieben:
Sadly stuemper isn't around in the modding scene/team anymore and I'm not sure if he was even around at the time this system was tested.

Hard to say if it would work without testing it directly in the game.
Enderal has a much higher object and NPC density so it can't be really compared to Skyrim.

It could work or just result in the same crashes, but first someone would need to recreate this system. I don't think the code for it exist anymore.

You could test quick movement around the world with console commands (but please don't save that on a real playthrough) with the speed of a Myrad/Dragon if you are high above in the air. If that causes no crashes / bigger performance issues, then it would be theoretically possible.
Well, based on a small amount of testing, even with a modded setup with a lot of upgraded textures and meshes, increased LOD in the distance and such, there are no immediately obvious issues.

Flying around at speedmult 1000%, everything stayed stable with some fairly minor popping in of stuff in visible range (essentially lower LOD textures switching out) once you've covered a rather large distance, but I suppose that's unavoidable (and can also potentially be mitigated with appropriate INI settings). I flew all around Vyn and no issues, NPCs loading and behaving properly, no obvious memory leak etc. as far as I could see.

At 500% even the popping in of assets is virtually unnoticable.

At 2000% I can still fly all around (did a complete flyover of Vyn, criss-crossing over the landmass), though the loading of assets is much more pronounced, and I did experience the occasional lag spike (nothing huge, just some stutter) when my memory usage approached 100% and the engine presumably needed to free up some of it. More RAM/VRAM could potentially eliminate even these, though it's of largely academic interest: 2000% feels way too fast in any case.

The only problem I could perceive is with normally isolated worldspaces like Ark, where a lot of the objects (and all NPCs) don't exist "in the outside world". However, it would probably be okay to add one loading screen in the single case when your myrad flies over the wall, into/out of the city (ideally keeping the entire flight sequence, just throwing in the loading of the Ark worldspace mid-flight).

I could also imagine flying over specific areas accidentally triggering certain scripted events, and that would need some testing. Thankfully, the myrad paths could be fixed, so no need to prepare for free flying.

But in conclusion, I didn't see anything on the engine side that would prevent such a feature from being implemented. I asked about the exact issue that was experienced back then because if it was something like the flying having long-term side effects and inevitably causing CTDs down the line or such, or if the cause was more specifically related to the way the flying was scripted, I would not have uncovered that.

I don't really have the knowledge to recreate the system myself, especially from scratch, though if there was some code that was almost working and still available, and the team was okay with providing it as is, that could potentially really help someone do it in SE.

(FYI my hardware is okay, but not top of the line by any means: GTX 1070, i7-6700k, with 16 GB of RAM and running the game off of a PCIe Gen3 SSD at 1080p.)
overdev
Krieger
Krieger
Danksagung erhalten: 9 Mal

I forgot to mention some other possible issues.
There are a lot of quest triggers and other things placed in the world, they could mess up a lot of stuff.

But in general such a mod would be really cool :)
14 Beiträge Seite 2 von 2